The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk streamer from a can (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
185 Posts

Profile of R Don
Has anyone seen this.I guess I can t talk method but it involved lots and lots of silk. Maybe it was Paul Diamonds idea. Does it look magical--do you produce the can?
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
742 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
I think it looks magical. Paul Diamond goes over it in one of his tapes. He pulls out a 100-foot streamer from a can of Coca Cola. I've used it to pull a 30 foot streamer from the vanishing can. The audience always seems to find it magical --- you know, where did all that come from? And whatever happened to the can?

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
185 Posts

Profile of R Don
Does the silk flow like a hat coil or do you pull it out? I d like to try it.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
It is on the tape "symphonette in silk"

It must be pulled out as it will not simply flow. It must be pulled out with "style" or it won't look very "magical". You can't just yank it out.

I am not sure why the coke can is used other than a a holder in the tape. Maybe I have missed something. will have to go back and look.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
185 Posts

Profile of R Don
Thanks
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21976 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It uses the Rosini Silk Winder. This can be sometimes hard to locate.

If you want a shooting streamer, you must use an open object, such as a hat, dove pan, square circle, etc. Then you accordian pleat it, no need for a winder. I have seen Ali Bongo use this several times and it looks really good.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
742 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
I use the accordion pleat with a 35-foot streamer (12 inches wide) when I do Duke's Dye Version. William is right, it does just flow out of there. You could use an accordion pleat with a streamer inside a soda can but it will limit the size of the streamer.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7350 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I do still make the Rosini style silk winder. Paul's tape is very good.

I think the coke can was used just as a size perspective. You can put a piece of taped paper around the load if you wish. I think if I remember the orginal lecture, Paul produced the can at the end pretending to take a drink as he was tired from producing all the silks.

I remember seeing Abb Dickson at my first magic convention (coincidentlly, where Paul did his silk lecture) produce 300' x 12" silk streamer from a can. It was impressive. No it does not cascade out like a coil, you pull it out from the center and it expands.

I might add this is a great way to load Rice's Haunted Chimney's if you are lucky enough to own a pair.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
I think to do it justice though, you need someone to hold up the streamer as you pull it out so that it can be seen to it's best advantage.

By the way, in the video Paul Diamond emphasizes that you wind the streamer under and away from yourself coming over the top towards yourself. I have yet to make it work the way Paul does in the vidio. Smile
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk streamer from a can (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL