The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Wonderwords & the power of language (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ian Broadmore
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Ian Broadmore
Im doing some clinical research using eeg and gsr measurment as to how words, colours, sounds, pictures affect our emotions. I know about NLP etc does anybody have any recommendations on the best source material for this ?. I am looking at in a comercial aspect not a mentalism/mindreading aspect. Ie Does the word BUY elicit a response that is measurable that makes us want to buy??.
Gordon Fisher
View Profile
Regular user
Derby, England
193 Posts

Profile of Gordon Fisher
I recently read a great article concerning the pyschology of colour and its applications in interior design and how it can evoke certain emotions etc, ill find it out and let you know
D.Paul
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of D.Paul
I read or heard something a while back on the news or new paper cant remember were, but students played French music in the French wine section of a supermarket. They found that the store sold something like 3 times as much then normal.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I would beware of things like color and sounds in regards to any generalities, I find there are some cultural variables to consider, "white" and "Red" as colors hold different meanings in different areas of the world.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Bargh did several studies related to this topic. He's at Yale now (I believe), but you can probably find the work in JPSP.

Cialdini did one study that looked at supra and sub priming to make people want to use one product over another. That's probably a JPSP article too.

Lastly, I don't think "buy" is a good stimulus for making people buy--simply because thinking of buying doesn't really activate what's necessary for actually making a purchase.
xersekis
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of xersekis
Quote:
On 2005-02-26 12:53, Ian Broadmore wrote:
Im doing some clinical research using eeg and gsr measurment as to how words, colours, sounds, pictures affect our emotions. I know about NLP etc does anybody have any recommendations on the best source material for this ?. I am looking at in a comercial aspect not a mentalism/mindreading aspect. Ie Does the word BUY elicit a response that is measurable that makes us want to buy??.

Can you be more specific as to what you want? NLP material - material in general. Are you interested in pictures sounds and feeling words and how to get some one to build a full internal representation that may be measurable.

Buy probably doesn't by itself - but how we make one want to buy with all the word choices and mental picture painting and elliciting feels of desire and need .

Like the word deal.
I have a deal for you...
I have agood deal
I have agreat deal
I have a out of this world, knock your socks off deal

the notion of semantic density - some words carry better quality information alone or when grouped with other words and/ or get us to feel differently.

He walked outside her house

vs

he lurked outside her house

Please feel free to email me or pm me and maybe I can make some reccomendations.

You may also wish to vist http://www.idea-seminars.com and go to the article section
hemisphere
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
39 Posts

Profile of hemisphere
You might look at the (non-mentalism) book "Why We Buy" by Paco Underhill. He is an ethnographer who studies what aspects of communication, retail environments, color, location, etc. affect action and motivation. You might find many examples in the book that touch on things you're interested in.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
You might want to take a look at some research done by a Dr. J. Adrian Williams back in the late 70's or so on NLP and it's claims, especially about eye tracking and its relation to representational systems. It seems that Dr. Williams (a personal friend during that time) was able to prove that the claims about eye tracking were incorrect. His work was replicated at several other institutions. Unfortunately, I do not have the title of his work (it was part of his doctoral dissertation) at, I believe, the University of Illinois.

He did do some biometrics on this, if I recall corrctly and his references might be of use to you as well.

Good hunting!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
zorro127uk
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of zorro127uk
Hi Ian,

When I learned about embedded commands during my NLP training they where used to elicit responses that I couldn’t verify, so I decided to do a test by using them to get a specific behaviour (like scratch nose, cross arms, etc) . My preferred place was in a public place where I would be talking to someone and use the command and see if there would be a response by anyone else who could hear us. I found the results quite interesting. YOU may WANT TO TRY THE SAME,
NOW I am just kidding Smile

Zorro
xersekis
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of xersekis
But they aren't incorrect - they are incomplete in presentation. Sadly, a mistake of the progenitors ---

the key is knowing how to use the template - not believeing the template. A very different mindset. The issue is that some testing on the template began with assumptions not made by NLPers but by the testors. THere are numerous poorly constructed tests that both prove and disprove aspects of NLP - replicable even. But they aren't testing the claims made by NLPers they are testing their own claims they think the nlpers made. A ubtle but BIG difference.

Problem with accessing cues is it is not a thing to believe in - it is a means of getting the untrained to begin to look for things, to make observatioins and discover patterns - not verify a chart. It is a way to get people who never noticed something before to notice something - it is about training attendion away from oneself and onto someone else. Later you can examine the visual and auditory components and see if there is a match or mismatch in rep systems.

It is about noticing what may be going on - cleanly withou bias by having a chart to utililze as means of comaprison but it is not meant to put faith in the chart.

This is the point that everyone seems to miss. And partly because the progenitors didn' explain it correctly. I have fought for correcting this issue since the early 80's but as is often the cae -

mistakes tend to get repeated. As is the mistake to think there is no value to eye accessing cues - rather the correct application is very useful. The incorrect use or belief about them is adequate at best but misses the power and the usefulness.

He did do some biometrics on this, if I recall corrctly and his references might be of use to you as well.

Good hunting!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
[/quote]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Wonderwords & the power of language (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.7 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL