The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » If I have $100 - Should I get Gerry Griffin & Jeff McBride or Michael Ammar DVDs? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
MichielTummers:

The problem that the poster has with books, is that his English isn't very good, and reading things from a book can bedifficult for him. Hey, I have trouble sometimes, and I've lived in America my whole life. Don't forget, CC is a whole set of books, all written in the same style, if he can't understand that particular style of writing, he is scrued. I think that DvDs are easier for him to learn from, as suppose a book that has a million different things in it written by a magician(sorry, many magicians aren't writers. Example: me) and he can't understand how to do it. I am guessing that it is much easier for him to watch a magician do a slight/trick, rewind, watch it agian, rewind, watch it again... get my point?

And, I agree with what Dave says above.
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
Philip Chau
View Profile
Regular user
Macau
124 Posts

Profile of Philip Chau
Hi guys,

Wow I woke up this morning and when I checked this thread, I was so overwhelmed with the response.
I swear I read it 3 times to digest the stuff.
I really hope to response to all you here, I hope I don't miss anyone of you.

First, I understand that books are really good. And I know the Card College series is definite one of the best. I read so many good reviews about it. But I have Royal Road to Card Magic, but I am having problem with the descriptions of certain moves. Currently I think would get some DVDs first, then later when I stay in North America for longer time, I hope my English level will increase. By then, I will buy the Card College series for sure. It must be in my bookshelf! And I think also Darwin Ortiz' Strong Magic, as many have recommended.

Second, I know some of you said that I bought too much. Yeh, those were really bad decisions. I already stopped the crazy buying. I guess I was too excited about the magic world when I was first exposed to it. I was just like a little kid. Some also mentioned that I already have enough material on my hands. Actually I am still in the process of developing my style and narrowing down into several routines that I really like and do very well. Currently, out of watching some DVDs or books, I have Ambitious Card Routine and Triump into my own Must Do routine, and I am continuing to practise and modify it to suit my style. I hope to add 2 or 3 more into my list. And I really hope to know more classic affects out there.

Third, I am already selling some of the tricks that I don't like. Now I find out that many packet tricks that I bought can be done with gaffs! And bad thing I have bought so much. I hope I knew this forum long time ago. Before, I didn't have any magic shops around my area and I didn't know other magicians too. That is why I made really bad decision when buying tricks and stuff. I basically looked into these fancy advertisements on the internet and bought stuff. Now, I kind of like starting all over again the right way. I hope it works this time Smile

Lastly, it seems to me that there are still mixed reviews on whether to buy the Gerry Griffin set or Michael Ammar set. I think I will wait and see what more people think about this. But currently here would be my plan. But it might change:

I have a feeling that I might get the Gerry Griffin set first. Then after I totally learn the material, I might get single volumes from the ETMCM series, based on recommendations or if I have tricks that I am interested in. For the Jeff McBride series, I'm still not sure if manipulation is my style, as I haven't really learned a lot of manipulation moves, other than a couple of flourishes. I think I might get Volume 1 and see if it suits my style or not, then decide whether to get the whole set.

Do you guys think this is an ok decision?

Once again, I thank you guys for all these great opinions.
I believe in all of your advices, as I know that you guys are great magicians.
And I'm really happy that you guys are all willing to help new comers like me. That's very nice.

Philip Chau
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Help - that´s what the Café is there for....

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Yes but english isn't my first language also hehe I'm dutch:)
ofcourse you get more sleights for les smoney with a book but I don't get it I cant read it all sinc eim dutch so I think that's the prob:)

btw I have the complete card magic of gerry griffin...
it is 1 of my best investments in magic so far.. hes just a good teacher
smellguy I would go for gerry!

I think Ammar etc r good magicians but I think gerry griffin is instea dof a good magician also a good teacher
Tabasco
View Profile
Loyal user
The Netherlands
219 Posts

Profile of Tabasco
I hear a lot of people saying books!
But the question then is which books? Just curious
the biggest card trick exchange center,
we have over 1600 tricks in our indexes.
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Quote:
On 2005-02-27 12:01, Dave Egleston wrote:
Though Ammar is a noted teacher - if you really want to learn magic and MUST buy video rather than books - Gerry Griffin is probably a better teacher with a lot more pride in what he does

Griffin very carefully went through his personal repertoire of tricks that he uses on a weekly basis and has thoroughly developed a lesson plan for each trick, if you have to copy someone, it is probably magically better to emulate Gerry, he has no "Hurky-Jerky" mannerisms when he performs a sleight as several of the bigger "names" have been seen to do.

Hi Dave. I know you didn't specifically mention it but you kind of implied it as the direct comparison is between Griffin and Ammar - do you really think Ammar is hurky-jerky when he performs a sleight? I had to laugh when you used the word hurky-jerky Smile !

I think Ammar is very nice technically. The thing which really gets me about him is his patter and tone which can be a bit funny at times. He has a habit of saying "All I have to do..." All I have to do is snap. All I have to do is squeeze. All I have to do is wave. One time he said "All I have to do..." then realises he wasn't perorming the magic and continues "....Right, let's see what I have in my pocket. Added to that he says heeeeaahhhnd not hand, and classic pohlllllm not palm.

It's a very small criticism though. I love Ammar's skill and easy manner and have several of his works across a wide range.
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Philip,
if you must continue to buy more DVDs, I highly recommend the Ammar etmcm series - start with the first 3 and move on from there. Ammar's videos have super practice sessions, or something like that, where they go over the technical aspects slowly and use good angles. Ammar is a superb teacher. I don't know about the other Griffin DVDs.
HOWEVER, what I really recommend is that you stop buying for now and digest what is already in your possession. After that, check out some reviews, and decide which direction to go forward in.
I also recommend Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights, even though it is 8 DVDs worth of material, it will provide you with invaluable references to tons of sleights, moves, etc. that you will refer to for the rest of your life. Furthermore, I highly recommend the Paul Harris videos if it's cards you like.
Best of luck to you, Philip.

Kaylan
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
I'd also prefer that you get Giobbi's Card College. It's a great investment. But then if you just want DVD's then go for Ammar.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
Ammar teaches tricks and effects, daryl teaches sleights along with a small numer of tricks during the trick breaks....

so decide what you want, tricks or sleights ? from there your decision will be easier...

and oh... Ammar loves to say "when I cast a shadow over the cards........"

cheers
"Fill you life with magic by making magic a part of your life." by eric tan.
Philip Chau
View Profile
Regular user
Macau
124 Posts

Profile of Philip Chau
Hi

Thanks for the advice.
And my first language is Chinese, so maybe it's more different from English than Dutch.
I know that Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card SLeights is one of the best out there.
It's in my list too.
But I would probably get that later, when I have more knowledge on classic routines first.
I think I will get the Gerry Griffin series first.
Then after I master all of it, I'll get some of Michael Ammar's series.
Then maybe when I'm am already pretty good with several of my own routines, then I'll move to Daryl's series to perfect my sleights Smile

Philip Chau

Philip Chau
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I have to say I did the same thing I got every DVD I could. It has hampered me more than I thought possible. I am just now getting a handle on the way I need to learn. If I could do it all over I would have stuck with the first video's I got and the several books and practiced the magic, now I know how a whole mess of sleights are accomplished, but I don't really have the technique to use them well. And finding a starting point now is terrible. I know of too many things I COULD do, and have a hard time finding what I SHOULD do. I don't know how well you learn or how much time you have for practice, so I am not telling you anything more than my own experience. I have now put away 90% of my magic paraphernalia and am starting fresh. "Do one(three) thing(s) and do it well" My new motto.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Yes, I agree with Josh, and apparently he agrees with me from my earlier post. Philip, consider not buying anything for now...the DVDs will still be available 6 months from now, a year from now, whenever. However, I understand and can relate to how it feels to want MORE MORE MORE, because I'm the same way. I have started to go back to some of the classic books, rather than watch/buy videos.
johnstu
View Profile
Regular user
London
161 Posts

Profile of johnstu
Philip

It's hard to believe you have a problem with written english given the quality of writing in your posts. You write well thought out and well constructed posts. Maybe the problem is more with the books you have looked at than your english.

Do you have the opportunity to look at books before you buy them or do you buy over the net? If you do get a chance to "try before you buy" I would definitely reccomend the book route.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Why does a chinese or in my case a dutch person wants to buy a book with things he cant understand when he can see it done on a dvd?
I have expert at the card table seriously.. if I didn't know much things from it I had serious problem bc I cant read all of it. when I watch a video of for example the pass I immediately realised how it was done. it is cool that you getmore effects in a book 20 effects in a book 10 on a dvd but if I cant resd it all a dvd with 10 would be more useful,.

just buy gerry's dvd's theyr a good starting place
sr33
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of sr33
As stated over and over again, the Ammar's ETMCM series is a great choice. I have just begun watching Gerry's series, so I cannot give any advice on those. Although books are a great choice, they are not for everybody, specifically if you can't get them in your language. I can remember that I was trying to learn a sleight out of a book. I think that there was a misprint and it had poor pictures so you can imagine that I had a heck of a time. I then went to a fellow magician and he showed me the sleight, and it all became clear. Hang out at a local magic shop if you have one, it is an invaluable resource.

Bob
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Why not get just one DVD rather than the whole series. Michael Ammar's ETMCM is a great series that contains effects in a range of levels of difficulty.

Someone has said that Gerry Griffin's performing style takes a bit of getting used to. I'd certainly agree with that. I bought the card magic series, but frankly it's probably one of my least favourite DVDs.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
silent shadow
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
231 Posts

Profile of silent shadow
Michael Ammar's ETMCM : I only have Vol one so far but will be building up on it very soon I loved it.. his teaching method is pretty neat and uses the practice facility like on the McBride dvd's

taliesin mentions Gerry Griffin complete series , the mistake about these dvd's is its natural for new magicians to buy volume 1 first don't!

any beginners would be better buying 6 and 7 first ,assuming your buying one at a time , as the sleights for most of the tricks needed for vol 1-5
are in those last 2 vol , unlike Michael Ammar's ETMCM where you will learn the sleight with the effect at the same time.

ss
Magic or just an illusion? it's a free choice .... isn't it?
magicguy45
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of magicguy45
I say McBride he explaines beter
jacob boehme
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of jacob boehme
It depends whether you want the DVD. Griffin is good for teaching, effects and presentation. Ammar probably more for the routining and sleights. I would also consider the other DVDs which I have not heard of to really learn more inner circle type cards stuff (not coins or silks). Any DVD is probably a good choice. Many people these days say that books are better but that is obviously untrue - how come Michael Ammar produces so many DVDs if they are not the best way to learn? Are you saying he is just an unprincipled greedy bigot who is undermining the art of magic? I hope not...he has many friends here in Austria!!!!!
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Go with Ammar. He's the greatest
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » If I have $100 - Should I get Gerry Griffin & Jeff McBride or Michael Ammar DVDs? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL