The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How many of us are out there worldwide? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicman02
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of magicman02
I am curious, how many magicians/mentalist do you think there are worldwide? What I am saying is how many people practice the art of magic worldwide? I am not counting people who know 1-2 card tricks, but know and understand the theory, history, and art of magic. Magic Magazine has about 12,000+ subscribers and so does Genii, so I am guessing out of 6 billion people, only 50,000 or less know the art of magic, that is less then 1%. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17522 Posts

Profile of Slim King
You are right. it is less than 1%. It's actually less tha 1/100 of a percent if my math is correct. Maybe 1/1000 of a percent. It's too early for me to do the math exactly........but it's not too many.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
philipmac
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of philipmac
By my calculations it's, 1 in every 1200 people.
What I would really like to know, is how many people join the art becuase of certain events. E.g. Seeing Derren Brown on television.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17522 Posts

Profile of Slim King
OK....50,000 times 1200 is 60,000,000. You'd have to multiply that by 100 to get 6 billion...right..so isn't it one in 120,000 ????
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
I thought in America, One Billion was 100 Million?

Because in the UK it's 1000 Million, which is what you mentioned.

-Niko
When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
One billion is 1.000 Millions - even in America....;-)

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
hemisphere
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
39 Posts

Profile of hemisphere
Current population: 6,400,000,000 people
Magi estimate: 50,000 magic people
That is 0.00078% of the population,
or 1 in every 128,000.
People who care about this thread: about 6.

The MBA is paying off after all.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17522 Posts

Profile of Slim King
$76,000 college expences ,divided by 38 Café' posts, equals about $2,000 per comment. Thanks for the contribution...LOL
It IS paying off!
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
Quote:
On 2005-02-27 19:10, calexa wrote:
One billion is 1.000 Millions - even in America....;-)

Magixx

I'm sure it's not! I've always been told it was different in America. But I'm not American, so I don't know. Smile
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
You are thinking of trillion, a word which in the former colonies means 1,000 billion.

In the UK, there doesn't seem to be a need for the concept of trillion. I have heard "thousand billion" on the BBC. In America, we find "trillion" useful in discussing our national debt or the transitional costs of privatizing Social Security.

Yours,

Paul
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Quote:
On 2005-02-27 02:29, magicman02 wrote:
I am curious, how many magicians/mentalist do you think there are worldwide? What I am saying is how many people practice the art of magic worldwide? I am not counting people who know 1-2 card tricks, but know and understand the theory, history, and art of magic. Magic Magazine has about 12,000+ subscribers and so does Genii, so I am guessing out of 6 billion people, only 50,000 or less know the art of magic, that is less then 1%. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Ok... you'll need to refine this question... How many are "OUT" as Mentalists/Magicians & Bizarrists vs. How many are OUT as Readers vs. the number that deny having anything to do with magic/mentalism and work in the shut eye market (which will be the larger aspects of this census).
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
Quote:
On 2005-02-28 15:57, drwilson wrote:
You are thinking of trillion, a word which in the former colonies means 1,000 billion.

In the UK, there doesn't seem to be a need for the concept of trillion. I have heard "thousand billion" on the BBC. In America, we find "trillion" useful in discussing our national debt or the transitional costs of privatizing Social Security.

Ah, that may be it, thanks Paul!
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
How many are out there that THINK they are mentalists vrs. the ones that actually are?!?!?!?!
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
martinkey
View Profile
Regular user
Tadmarton, Oxon, UK
129 Posts

Profile of martinkey
From Chambers Dictionary:
'billion: in Britain, France (since 1948), etc a million, millions (unit and twelve zerios); in North America, and often now in Britain, one thousand millions (unit and nine zeros).'
Martin
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
THAT is what I was thinking of Martin! Thank you Smile

I obviously thought it was 1 000 mill in UK and 100 mill in USA,
but it's 1 000 000 mill in UK and 1 000 in USA.

:D
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How many of us are out there worldwide? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL