The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Learning the Vernon Wand Spin! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
I just did my first Vernon Wand Spin! It is so cool to do. It trully feels like you are doing magic when you do it. Awesome.

What do you guys think about this wand spin? Any other similar that you like?

Thanks!
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
It's good and the spin/vanish is even better if you can time it right. I find the right weight of wand is needed though.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
David Williamson gives a good explanation of his on his dvd.
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Where can I get David Williamson's DVD containing Vernon's wand spin?
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
Michael Ammar's "The Complete Cups and Balls vol. 2" teaches the spin & vanish very well, I thought. I love performing that vanish because it completely fries any audience members who might be thinking they know what's going on.
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Joes is right. And I too learned it from the Ammar C&B vol.2. It's great.
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
Quote:
On 2005-02-28 05:05, Tom G wrote:
David Williamson gives a good explanation of his on his dvd.

Actually, I believe he teaches the drummer's around the thumb spin - at least that's the only one I'm aware of. He does use the Vernon Spin, but I don't believe he teaches it.

David Regal teaches the spin in his 2 volume book set - I haven't got it here to give a cite, though.

sam
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Between the two, I think the thumb spin looks like it takes more skill to do.

This is just my personal opinion but when I see the fingertip spin it always makes me think about the baton twirling girls from my jr high school days when I was a kid. Maybe it would look cooler if some danger were added. Maybe knife blades on the tips of the wand or something like that??? or flames!!!

Actually one of the girls in school, I think it was in high school, did a flaming baton and it was very cool especially when she tossed it up and then caught it. I'd like to see the toss added to the magician's spin technique or if somebody is doing it I havent seen it. Toss it to the ceiling and catch it still spinning.

Anybody???

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I haven't seen it, and don't know if it's possible for mere mortals, but Cellini has a great wand spin routine in his "Royal Touch" book. It includes a spin, toss, drop, and kick back into the hands.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Mere mortals??? Hmmmm. I'd sure like to see that. Does he kick it off his foot behind his back??? I would think all the baton moves would work. I studied them all. Well, actually I studied the majorettes but that's another story!!!

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One of the strangest things I ever heard of was something James Riser told me. A kid he knew was practicing the wand spin with a heavy wand, hit himself in the mouth with it and chipped a tooth.

Don't try this with one of my GoldenRodâ„¢ wands until you have a lot of practice!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
I lost count of the number of times I hit myself in the hand learning the vanish with this spin. The first knuckle of my left hand got really swollen and I had to take a "magic break" for a week before I could try again!
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2005-02-28 14:15, tabman wrote:
Mere mortals??? Hmmmm. I'd sure like to see that. Does he kick it off his foot behind his back??? I would think all the baton moves would work. I studied them all. Well, actually I studied the majorettes but that's another story!!!

-=tabman

I checked again. It didn't actually hit his foot, he spins it, tosses it in the air, slaps it with his finger, reversing the direction, and is caught just before it hits the ground. As he stoops to retrieve it, still spinning, his off-hand is in perfect position for a ball steal from a ball dropper under his vest.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2005-02-28 14:36, Dave VanVranken wrote: As he stoops to retrieve it, still spinning, his off-hand is in perfect position for a ball steal from a ball dropper under his vest.

Wow!!! That's some coordination. We're lucky he isn't picking pockets at the same time!!!!

-=tabman

BrucUK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
163 Posts

Profile of BrucUK
Ilove a Vernon Wand Spin followed by a single-rotation aroundthe Thumb. It seems to "finish it off" for me somehow...
For fans of this stuff, have a look at the "Magic Stick" video at Doug Con's site -
http://www.dougconn.com/movies/magicstickwmvlg.wmv
Great stuff!
Rgds - Bruce
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2005-03-01 15:11, BrucUK wrote: Ilove a Vernon Wand Spin followed by a single-rotation aroundthe Thumb. It seems to "finish it off" for me somehow...

Nice!!! Kind of like putting an exclaimation point on it. I like it!!!

-=tabman

slangers
View Profile
New user
Denmark
86 Posts

Profile of slangers
I Love practicing things like this in front of the tv.
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Thanks berkleyjl for your input I'll look into Ammar's c & b series to learn the wand spin and some techniques for cups and balls.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I enjoy doing the spin around the thumb as taught by David Williamson, it is just fun to do. Like everything else, I learned to do it with either hand, so depending on the situation, I'm still able to perform the move. I remember when I was first learning this way back when, I can't count the number of times my wand flew across the room! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Amar does teach the Vernon wand spin vanish on his cups and balls dvd. I worked on it till I could do it surrounded and I do it on the street.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Learning the Vernon Wand Spin! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL