The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Help with Bobo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pablo Leal
View Profile
Regular user
Chile
187 Posts

Profile of Pablo Leal
Hi, greetings to you all. I'm just beginning with coin magic, and I've just bought Bobo's coin magic. To be honest I'm not very familiar with this area and I have a couple of cuestions about the subject. I hope someone here could help me with any them...

The first one is very basic and it's related with Bobo's change. It says in the book that it shouldn't look different to change the coin, to actually throw the real coin. I've never seen anyone doing the move, so I'm learning it by practice only and honestly I can't get it. By misdirection, I'm able to change it with no problems, but I guess the move by itself shouldn't be suspicios at all, right? I've tried throwing it with my right hand above, with my two hands at the same hight, etc. Maybe I'm not doing it right, so I would be most greatful if someone could give me some advice.

The second question is about sleeving. I've been practicing a lot Dr. Robert's style, and I'm really amazed with it's utillity. The problem is, that I've practiced my technique alot, and it seems to be working well, but my jacket has sleeves with an open end that remain closed by a couple of buttons. I have no problems with regular sleevings, but with this one in particular (Dr. Robert's) I have to turn my hand too much, and the coin doesn't seem to be able to run above the elbow. Maybe if I keep practicing I'll be able to do it right, but perhaps I'm just waisting my time.

If any of you people can help me it would be a real blessing. Smile

PD: Sorry if the grammar isn't perfect, but I've made an effort to express myself correctly. I don't live in North America, but in a country called Chile, right beside Argentina. Really a beautiful country, you should all visit it some day.

GREETINGS
"The one that seeks for the truth takes the chance to find it". Isabel Allende

www.magopabloleal.com
jocce
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of jocce
Hi Delucia
I can't help you with sleeving but I got some good advice on switches recently:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......3&23
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27097 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Tony Slydini offered a great bit of advice on getting set for sleeving. About how you turn your wrist before you bring your arm up, so the sleeve drops properly. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-02-28 11:40, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Tony Slydini offered a great bit of advice on getting set for sleeving.
*Stars of Magic* again...IIRC, right? Smile

Quote:
On 2005-02-28 11:54, Werner G. Seitz wrote:
*Stars of Magic* again...IIRC, right? Smile
Wrong..and I couldn't find it anywhere.
The funny thing is I can visualize the pictures where Slydini demonstrated his handling,as I at that time played with a version of 'natural' sleeving a coin during some guesture..
I solely have the bound version of *Stars of Magic* from Tannen these days, as I many years back sold the original loose collected scripts, because that folder took too much space on the shelf, but probably it has been within the original wrapping?

I just wonder I can't find the mentioned Slydini tips, I know I've seen and studied them!

Any tips where they where published ?
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
"The Best of Slydini ...and more!" by Fulves has a technique for positioning the sleeve.

DELUCIA
I'm at a bit of a loss about you're sleeving post when you say, "my jacket has sleeves with an open end that remain closed by a couple of buttons".

The Robert's method will take practice. Just make sure there's nothing behind you that can be broken by the coin.

That's a good link for the switch above.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-02-28 13:56, Jaz wrote:
"The Best of Slydini ...and more!" by Fulves has a technique for positioning the sleeve.
Thanx Jaz, found it..page 22.
Actually I looked also through the Fulves and Tannen version of *The Best of Slydini* / *The Magical world of Slydini* before posting, but overlooked it Smile

Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Another source for Robert's method is in "Milestone in Coin Magic" by Fred C. Baumann.

The book I have was from Tannens, 1981 and may no longer be available.
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
363 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
Rocco teaches Slydini's method of sleeving on various videos. Perhaps that's where you saw it.
vilewarner
View Profile
New user
Massachusetts
75 Posts

Profile of vilewarner
Delucia, I recommend learning another switch other than bobo's that eliminates the tossing motion. As for sleeving, I cannot help you as I perform without the aid of a jacket or shirt.
salamangkero8888
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of salamangkero8888
I would also recommend that you try to use another switch. I have seen the Bobo switch dozens of times and I feel that the appearance is inconsistent. The spectators believe that the coin is held at the fingertips but when it is thrown into the other hand, alert spectators would see that the coin being thrown appears to come from somewhere nearer to the base of the fingers, some distance away from the fingertips. This becomes glaringly obvious if you do the throw a couple times legitimately, to "condition" the audience (I have see many who do this), before you do the switch.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

I've seen only one able to do the Bobo Switch without any suspecion arising!

This partly is because he moved on and adapted it to the rest of his movements and the flow of his routine..

I won't mention his name, you have to make a qualified guess Smile

He used the Bobos switch for his Copper/Silver rouitine in the hands of a lady..and the coppercoin was, as usual, produced from under the saltshaker.. Smile

Pablo Leal
View Profile
Regular user
Chile
187 Posts

Profile of Pablo Leal
Thnks for the posts you people, I really appreciate your concern.

JAZ, about your post... my sleeves doesn't have the regular shape, as they can open at the ends near my hands (I don't know if that has a name in particular). They stay close by a couple of buttons and that makes them be different in shape to regular sleeves... it's most likely you can't actually get me, but the fact is that the opening of my sleeve is not streight. That's the main reason why dr. Robet's stile doesn't work for me and my jacket. I can't think about change my jacket, cause I've spended a lot of money on it and I bought it before getting myself into coins. So the thing is to try to adapt the technic a little by turning my hand to the external side of my body (were the sleeve opens) so my jacket can be use with it. That makes them look very unatural I think. Maybe I'm just being ignorant and that detail shouldn't make any problems in the future. That's why I'm actually asking about it.

Thanks a lot again, and greatings Smile
"The one that seeks for the truth takes the chance to find it". Isabel Allende

www.magopabloleal.com
jocce
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of jocce
Quote:
On 2005-02-28 17:13, vilewarner wrote:
I recommend learning another switch other than bobo's that eliminates the tossing motion.

I'd recommend at least giving it a try, and the same goes for any other stuff you stumble into. Even if it feels awkward in the beginning and even if you've seen it performed and didn't like it, it's still another learning experience. Who knows, one day you might even be in a situation where happens to be the best/only move available.

I think, as a beginner, it's important to at least give stuff a fair chance. You always learn something from the experience.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Thanks for the explaination Delucia.
All I can do is wish you success on adapting your sleeving methods.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Help with Bobo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL