The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » When some jerk is hip to your methods (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
fightcps
View Profile
New user
New York
7 Posts

Profile of fightcps
I generally only perform for friends or acquaintances so it's not a problem for me, but I have a friend who's a pro. The way he handles it if someone is a jerk: "I can see that you really aren't into having fun right now, so I'll just stop bothering you." He says that 9 times out of ten the others in the group protest and tell the jerk to shut up. If someone insists on saying they know how an effect is done, he says something like, "Why don't we let the others enjoy it and you and I can talk about it separately."
danelwood
View Profile
New user
New Hampshire
85 Posts

Profile of danelwood
"Why don't you show us what you wrote first?"

Answer: "c'mon where's the entertainment without a little suspense?"

or "Always one of you in the bunch isn't there? Get the heck outta here before I...."

or "Well I oughtaaaa..."
"Now watch closely!"
Brad Lancaster
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Brad Lancaster
I generally stop the performance at that point, look the guy or gal jerk in the eyes. With a perturbed look I simply and FIRMLY say "relax, its just a trick. Why are you trying to ruin our FUN?!" I then pause and look at everyone with a 'why is he or she such an ass look.' This almost always create peer pressure and generally it takes the wind right out of his or her sails. If by some chance that person persists I just say "Obviously this is not a good time to show you guys something FUN, so I'll show you another time when the situation is better. I give the jerk a 'quick' disaproving look and move on with the conversation.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
For the indiviual who pulls the "why didn't you show us what you wrote before you..." try this:

"If I had done that, you guys would have started a cult around me, I'd have to open an enclave, house and feed you all and then deal with the FBI and the ATF when they came to take us all away. Don't you think the entertainment version is a lot easier to deal with? And smile, genuinely - not like a smart ***. If the person persists, look at him and just smile and say, "Do you really want me to tell these people what you were doing last saturday night and with whom?" Do a Groucho Marx eyebrow raise and grin.

If the person persists, tell them! Smile

Seriously, the person who does that is challenging you and you don't have to play. If they get really nasty, you stop. If they keep going, just look at them and ask, "do you tell people how they do the special effects while they're watching a movie, too?"

It tends to get the message across.

If not, thank the crowd and walk away.

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2495 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
I alwyas tell them not to ruin the trick for other people..

lee daarow says:
eriously, the person who does that is challenging you and you don't have to play. If they get really nasty, you stop. If they keep going, just look at them and ask, "do you tell people how they do the special effects while they're watching a movie, too?"

that 1 is good also..

o
Whitewolfny
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Whitewolfny
My wife and I recently had a very informal dinner with a good friend of mine and his wife. I haven't done magic in years, but I wanted to try some things I've been learning. so after dinner, I brought out a few simple tricks. His wife was all over me like stink on whatever. She challenged everything I did or brought out of my pockets. I wasn't able to start a trick without her trying to say how the trick was done. She didn't know what the trick was and she was demanding to know why didn't I do this, why wouldn't I show that. My friend tried to shut her up but she just couldn't help herself. I did a couple tricks that amazed my friend but then I stopped because it just wasn't worth the battle with his wife. Many of the posts above are good and have great ideas for general gatherings, but in this case, I certainly couldn't insult my friends's wife, so I just had to ride it out and move on to other subjects of conversation.
Braxton Mannar
<BR>Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks Smile
Rik Taylor
View Profile
New user
Delaware
58 Posts

Profile of Rik Taylor
I has to be said in that situation, don't let the one screw it up for the many...
...less is not more, less is less you have to carry, more or less...
Will Gordon
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
124 Posts

Profile of Will Gordon
I like the advice that you gave Jaz. I've had a couple of hecklers myself and I would just stop, thank him and finish my beer. For me I don't want to get into verbal Judo with someone who doesn't care for what I'm doing or the enjoyment of others around him.
Ednigma
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Ednigma
AHHHH...another case of the "armchair"magician ( Someone know read a book or saw someone else who messed the trick up do it, but REALLY have no clue to the REAL work behind the effect)!!!

You have to come to the realization, that , as long as this world keeps turnin', jerks like this'll always be around.

But ask yourself this...what's more important, the Art of Magic that you love, or some peon who want's to (edit) on your sunny day,man!!??
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Why is the guy "a jerk".

Maybe he is just reacting to a bad performance; maybe you accidentally revealed how you are doing it and he just happened to be the one to comment on it.

Are you sure he is a bona fide heckler? And how do you know?

Don't be too quick to judge.

Maybe he is not the one who is really at fault!
TonyBrand
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago, IL
490 Posts

Profile of TonyBrand
Regardless of whether the person is a seasoned heckler or not, the fact remains that it is rude for someone to interrupt a magician/mentalist in the middle of an effect to "reveal" how the effect is done. I put the word reveal in quotation marks because it is a very common occurrence for a spectator to claim to know the secret of an effect when, in reality, this spectator has absolutely NO idea about the actual method employed.

However, I do agree with Peter regarding the placement of blame. I've often heard that a lack of practice is the most common form of exposure. To this, I would also add that perhaps a variety of methods is in order. I would not recommend using a swami gimmick for an entire show. However, to each his own...
Ednigma
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Ednigma
Good point,Tony...Knowing or catching the secret is not the problem....the lack of CLASS is [the issue].
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » When some jerk is hip to your methods (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL