The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Solid Ghost (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Quote:
On 2005-03-01 07:03, wmhegbli wrote:
Having one of the original Harry Stanley Unique Magic Studio in my collection. I agree, it does not work the way you want. I seen John Cornelious (I think it was him) some years ago. He fooled me badly with the spoon bit.

The current ad makes to claims. 1. The hank rises on it own? This is not possible with previous versions. The placing of molecules in the hank make the form take shape in the original. 2. The spectator places his hand on the hank form. This I cannot imagine doing with the original versions.

Are these claims correct?

Everything in the description is correct. If done as directed, the cloth does appear to rise up on its own. It is really very impressive. I performed this at a recent I.B.M. meeting, and made quite an impression. May I suggest that you use a close-up pad or a table with a table cloth--it is much easier to control if you do. I purchase a lot of magic, and actually use only a small per centage in performance. This is definitely a keeper AND a user. It will NOT end up in the back of a drawer. Worth the money
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Scotty Mac
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of Scotty Mac
Is there any way to replace the "ball" shape with a face? I'm intrigued by the idea of solid ghost, but was wondering if you could be turned into a more "haunting" effect.

Thanks,

Scott
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-09-18 01:03, Scotty Mac wrote:
Is there any way to replace the "ball" shape with a face? I'm intrigued by the idea of solid ghost, but was wondering if you could be turned into a more "haunting" effect.

Thanks,

Scott

I can't think of any way to do what you ask. The only thing I can manage to "materialize" is a ball. Maybe there is someone more creative who has an idea on this.
May every day be magic!

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2005-03-03 00:51, Gede Nibo wrote:
Lets just say that the spec. is a wise-guy and picks up the ol' hankie...busted right?

seems so, but I am clueless to what the gimmick is...

If you are having people do this to you. May I suggest you work on picking your audiences better. You may be hanging with the wrong crowd. This kind of behavior is very rude to do to another person.
lekin
View Profile
Regular user
Sometimes less is more so I only have
176 Posts

Profile of lekin
Barrie Richardson has a handling for this effect in his new book.
Scotty Mac
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of Scotty Mac
Misterillsuion,

Thanks for the info.

Lekin,

I just bought Act Two and was particularly interested in it for the Solid Ghost Revisted chapter (well, ok, among many other routines the book has). It was notquite what I was looking for. Based on the description for the Osterlind version of Solid Ghost where the "ghost" actually rises I'm guessing the methods for each are different.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
How mobile is it? I mean for example if I'm out on the town for the night can I carry it in the pocket. I have never seen a glopy effect so I am clueless how portable is it. If I'm doing walk around table to table or at a bar or junction?
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Solid ghost is more portable than glorpy. It can fit in your pocket easily.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-09-21 00:48, paisa23 wrote:
How mobile is it? I mean for example if I'm out on the town for the night can I carry it in the pocket. I have never seen a glopy effect so I am clueless how portable is it. If I'm doing walk around table to table or at a bar or junction?

I carry mine in my right-rear hip pocket. It "rides" there comfortably with no chance of damage to the prop or damage to my "right-rear". One of the beauties of this prop is the utter simplicity
May every day be magic!

paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Sounding really good I think I might have to get this. Would love to see a demo.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-09-21 23:44, paisa23 wrote:
Sounding really good I think I might have to get this. Would love to see a demo.

I buy a lot of magic, and much of it never gets used (sits in the bottom drawer), or it ends up at the IBM local ring annual auction for pennies on the dollar.

This item is currently on my desk right now this evening waiting to go into my pocket tomorrow. It is a great item for when you get the question: "You're a magician? Well, do a trick."

My only recommendation is that you perform it on a close-up pad, table cloth, or even a heavy paper napkin. I have performed this on a bare table top, but it is MUCH easier to get the "growing" effect on a soft surface.
May every day be magic!

Scotty Mac
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of Scotty Mac
Has anyone found a video clip demo of this anywhere?
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
The Solid Ghost is now on Richard Osterlind's MM Too Volume 7. Watch it as it's amazing!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2005-09-21 00:48, paisa23 wrote:

Think of a handkerchief. That's all it is. Fairly portable. My wife even accidentally washed mine. Still in perfect condition. You can't really mess this item up.

It is performable in almost any situation. There's plenty of routines you could assign to this as well. Motivational, Inspirational, Goal setting, Focus, you name it, a believe in yourself (which is the routine performed by RO)

You could perform this pretty close-up as well. Right under their nose really ... in fact, for the finale you could even use it to blow their nose.

For the $$ you CANNOT go wrong on this one.

JC
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
I've been pondering the ideas of using this with Ghostvision, or in succesion with Sinister and/or Homicide. With a darker presentation, this feels like it can be a very powerful part of a paranormal or seance act. Those who own or have seen the Spirit Spelling Board, will know what I'm refering to. There isn't much more you would need to create a truly frightening and unforgetable experience.
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
A great effect. A simple concept but with a real punch to it.

I always carry this with me.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I recently brought this back out of hibernation and have been using it regularly.
I am really surprised at the audience reactions this receives. Basically, similiar reactions Richard received after the video shoot. It amazed me when I first saw the DVD but with most of my effects, after repeat performances, I resolved to break in other effects. I plan on using this live on TV in about a week for halloween.

On the inspection issue, a few times I have had to patter away the asking to hold the hanky after the illusion. One elderly woman actually tried to snatch it when I held her wrist and guided her hand over the Ghost. Fortunately I had a good grip and was able to avoid something unpleasant.
I guess it was just too tempting and inviting to the woman and curiosity got the best of her.

I have washed mine (have to it is white) after it got much soiled and stained. I even ordered a spare.
jonathandupree
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of jonathandupree
How would it look on stage for 1500 people if you had a projector screen and camera projecting it for people to see?
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
844 Posts

Profile of oombob
Quote:
On 2007-01-14 21:38, jonathandupree wrote:
How would it look on stage for 1500 people if you had a projector screen and camera projecting it for people to see?

My guess is that it would look like you were capturing a wee ghost under a hanky....albeit, projected onto a screen in front of 1500 people.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2007-01-14 21:38, jonathandupree wrote:

The projected effect would still look GREAT. There is nothing that the camera will see (give out) that the eye won't. However, for a real spooky feeling, one needs to see the effect taking place right in front of your own eyes.

An outstanding effect, created by Richard Osterlind.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Solid Ghost (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL