The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Billet pencil (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
max88
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of max88
Is there anyone know some device like it or knife (which is described in 13 steps) is on the market so I can use it to load billet into the envelop? I search the forum seems no discussion on it so far. Thanks!
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
yes you can get billet knives, pens, and pencils, however the main drawback is why have you folded the billet so small, particularly with regards the pen or pencil.
Phillip
max88
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of max88
Hi, Phillip

Do you mean it causes suspicion and you suggest I should use another method to do it?
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Anytime you employ a "device" (and this is only my opinion) you create suspicion or reason for such. If you feel that this ruse is the best way to accomplish an effect you want to bring about, you may look into non-gaffed systems. One that comes to mind is to be found on the Guy Bavli Mentalism Video (not the metal bending tape... the other.)

Phil is correct in that so many of the devices require the billet to be folded so small that it is distracting... I love Dianne Zimmerman's Prediction in A Bottle of Champagne but dang! The "Prediction" is miniscule... that takes away from it and too, it comes off as a Magician's Clever Trick vs. a "good" prediction set-up by a legit psychic.

Try to be free of devices and gimmicks. Make your mentalism as clean and unexplainable as you can. That's when you begin segregating yourself and cultivating a career based on a more sound and proven sense of reputation.
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
DarkKnight
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of DarkKnight
I'd agree with that 100%. When I started out I was using lots of gimmicks and things but now I am stripping things down to the bare essentials. The props that are now used are everyday things that people are used to seeing around and as a result the mentalism is elevated from being a 'clever trick' to 'maybe this is real'.
SteeleFusion
View Profile
Regular user
Glasgow, Scotland
106 Posts

Profile of SteeleFusion
I received Corinda's Billet pencil in the mail today (still mint from 1960's). It looks innocent enough and I can see myself badly fooling many people with this clean method.

If anyone has good ideas for tricks using my new toy please PM me with them!!!

Craig
Craig Steele : MindFusion

www.Craig-Steele.co.uk
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Theres some great info out there, like sealing a test tube inside of an envelope and "shooting" the prediction inside. I can think of a billion justifications!
migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
Where would one go about about purchasing such things like a billet pencil ?
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Magicinc.net
MagoStevo
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of MagoStevo
I reckon nothing is fairer than opening the envelope with bare hand (with TT) rather using a knife or pencil (do you use pencil to open envelope?)

Any pro and con?
Never ever have bad thought,you never know who is listening....
SteeleFusion
View Profile
Regular user
Glasgow, Scotland
106 Posts

Profile of SteeleFusion
I will post a full review of it once I give it a good try.

From my first impressions:

Pro:
Looks ordinary enough
More subtle than a knife (Pencils aren't as 'suspicious' as perhaps a knife)
Easy enough to load the billet into the envelope

Con:
Billet needs to be rolled pretty tightly making it slightly difficult to load (eg.It wouldnt be possible to make a prediction using a Swami gimick then load it into the billet. The billet would need to be written and loaded beforehand)
Craig Steele : MindFusion

www.Craig-Steele.co.uk
Devilix
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of Devilix
I would really like to read this review. I have interest in this system.

thanks
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
Is anyone using a billet pencil on a regular basis here ?

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I've had an original Corinda billet pencil for a long time. I could not think of any conceivable justification for sticking a pencil into an envelope.

Ted Lesley did what appeared to be an open/sealed prediction in a pickle jar. There were two predictions. He went into a newspaper office, put two large folded pieces of paper into a pickle jar, which was then sealed with packing tape. This was placed into a file box, which was also sealed with packing tape. The whole mess was taken to the home of a lady connected with the newspapers that were published there and she kept them in her safe for a week. This took place a few years ago in Namibia.

A week later, Ted came back to the newspaper office. They after a bit of byplay, they opened the pickle jar and read the first piece of paper. The prediction on that one was correct. The second piece of paper was opened and read. It gave a rough, but very close idea of the headlines on the German paper, as well as the essence of the front page of the Boer paper.

It fooled the reporters completely. All of the work took place under their noses, but they missed it. It required an incredible amount of chutzpa to do it. There was a followup a week later where they tried to figure out how he did it. They did not even come close.

Note: There were no billet knives, pencils, phony envelopes or stooges. And Ted got four pages of newspaper publicity out of this.

Now for the good news. Ted is writing a manuscript with this which will be published soon.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mariagi
View Profile
Special user
MIND, MYTH & MAGICK
654 Posts

Profile of Mariagi
Quote:
On 2006-08-19 20:23, Bill Palmer wrote:

Now for the good news. Ted is writing a manuscript with this which will be published soon.

I'm glad that Ted Lesley is writing some manuscript but I hope that the manuscript will contain new and unexplained stuff, not just this newspaper prediction which could only seem another rehash of an Al Mann's idea.

Devin Knight has recently rewritten the old Mann's routine plus his new, updated handling with a one billet version which is difficult to beat.

Please tell me that Ted Lesley is not going to write a whole manuscript on that idea only.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13150 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
Please tell me that Ted Lesley is not going to write a whole manuscript on that idea only.

Why not? Much more has been written about much less.

It sounds like a brilliant idea that may have many applications.

Tony
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I really need to learn to like Lesley's stuff. His DVD is still the only magic DVD that I fell asleep while watching. I know he is incredible, so what would be the must have book of his?

Sorry to get off topic, but you guys brought it up.

Anywho back to billet pencil's. I wouldnt use one, but that is just my style.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13150 Posts

Chichi:

Ted was very ill when he recorded those DVDs. The fact that he was even able to perform at time speaks volumes of the man.

Tony
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I did not know that. I like the material. If he was sick that would make sense as to why the performance was a little um raw.

It just kind of left a bad taste in my mouth, so I have never purchased anything else. I know I am missing out. That is why I was asking about his books.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13150 Posts

In addition to being ill and easily fatigued, Ted did his act in English, not his first language. Having attempted to do this, I know it is difficult. Most of what we perform gets better as our internal and external dialog gets better. The two go hand in hand, you time certain actions with certain words in your presentation. This is one way in which we become 'smooth.' When you attempt to perform your routine in a different language, every thing gets thrown out of whack. Imagine trying to translate a presentation while you are performing it. Not an easy task!
Now imagine that you are ill and on an incorrect medication. (Bill Palmer could elaborate on this story, I am sure. He took Ted to a different doctor here in the states just after filming of the video was done and got the medication issue straightened out. Don't be fooled by his grouchy demeanor, Bill Palmer is a very caring human being.)

As for his written work, it is excellent. Bill Palmer did a supurb job in the translation for Paramiracles. It is an excellent book.

Tony
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Billet pencil (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL