The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Armed forces entertainment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
655 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Hello everyone,

Anybody out there have any performing experience with armed forces entertainment (AFE)? This is the organization that handles entertainers that wish to volunteer their services to our troops overseas.

Please post or PM me at your convenience.

Thanks

DD

PS: Wasn't sure where to put this post. Figured this category was a decent fit.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
No experience But I would love to know too
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
All the information is on their web site.

http://afe.afsv.af.mil/About.htm

to apply: http://afe.afsv.af.mil/Entertainers.htm

You could also try the USO.

WOW, what google can do.

Ray
MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
No, the USO will only work with you if you're a "name"... Bob Hope, Wayne Newton, etc. Magicians tend to fall more under AFE.

-Matt (TK)
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Matt, you are right about being a big name to work the USO. I wasn't just talking about magicians. The thread ask if the organization handles entertainers. That means all kinds of acts.

If you are an entertainer with a known name, then the USO would be a good cause to do a little work.

Ray
MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
Good point, I retract the comment.

-Matt (TK)
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
655 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Thanks for the responses so far, but they're not quite what I was asking. I regret I did not word my question more specifically. I was aware of the websites suggested. What I was specifically asking about is if anyone had any "performing experience" (see orignal post) with this, meaning, "Have any of you DONE this?" and if so, do you have any comments you'd like to share.

Thanks in advance.

DD
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

I did 20 years in the Army and have done shows with the armed forces entertainment. I played at Rec centers and company parties and special events. I never went through the web site to get hired. I just did my thing at the bases and got asked to do other things

The armed forces entertainment has some very nice people and is always looking to help the troops. The pay is nothing to write home about, BUT you get the opportunity to go places that you may have not been able to on your own!

Overseas is a great place to work as an entertainer. It can be a blessing to you and the troops.

Ray
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I'd open with the amazing disappearing weapons of mass destruction, move on to the mind boggling multiplying troops and then finish up with a stunning suspension of democracy....

Sorry...too political.

Has anyone ever considered performing for OTHER countries armed forces rather then just your home country? (not the enemy obviously) I'm sure it would help relations between forces.
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
655 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Quote:
On 2005-03-02 22:18, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
I'd open with the amazing disappearing weapons of mass destruction, move on to the mind boggling multiplying troops and then finish up with a stunning suspension of democracy....

Sorry...too political.

Not to mention too fictional.

Now that we have balanced digressions, allow us to return to the non-political topic at hand. Smile

DD
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
Nicholas, Nicholas, Nicholas...

Now don't get too smug down there, Australia and New Zealand are both coalition members!

And if you listen to the news around here, there hasn't been talk of WMD's in practically forever! This war is all about bringing democracy to the middle east. Gosh isn't that what it was always about?

AAKK! Horrible, Horrible thread drift...
Maybe we should just talk about religion instead.
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
Scott,

"And if you listen to the news around here, there hasn't been talk of WMD's in practically forever! This war is all about bringing democracy to the middle east. Gosh isn't that what it was always about?"

NO! You have heard of misdirection...right? In politics it's called SPIN.
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Oh dear...

Sorry Doc, my offhand comment has stolen your thread...

Maybe the second part of my post might bring us back....

"Has anyone ever considered performing for OTHER countries armed forces rather then just your home country? (not the enemy obviously) I'm sure it would help relations between forces."
MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
Hmmm, a fascinating idea! I had a friend with the Army that did some work with the UK troops over in Iraq recently. He said that some of their Special Forces guys could throw one hell of a party. Plus unlike American soldiers (who aren't supposed to drink over there) the UK guys actually have some money for alcohol budgeted out in their war budget. Now there's a team that I'd like to go and do some work for- hehe.

But seriously, does anyone know how you'd go about getting booked with our allies as well? It's would certainly be something worth considering.

-Matt (TK)
Trickster
View Profile
New user
Southern California
51 Posts

Profile of Trickster
I havent' worked with AFE but a buddy of mine did an 15 day tour with them. I went with another magician to Kosovo, Sarajevo, Kuwait, and Iraq. We were sent by a production company that contracts with MWR, (Department of Morale, Welfare, and Recreation). We're going back this Aug and Sep.

So what exactly were you wondering. How to get in? What type of show? How long? etc...

RDs
--
"I may not be a smart man, I'm just good at what I do"...

Deuces Wild Entertainment
www.TheTrickster.net

MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
Frankly I'd be interested in all of those. Not to mention I'm also curious what the experience itself is like.

-Matt (TK)
Trickster
View Profile
New user
Southern California
51 Posts

Profile of Trickster
Most shows are 60 mins in length. Joycee and I actually had a two hour show. We did a few things together in the beginnng. Then I did my own portion followed by Joycee's set. Then we ended the show together.

As far as getting "in". Exact requirement information is contained on the USO, AFE, and MWR sites.

To describe the experience in text would take forever. If I were to spend the day doing it I probably could. I'll try to give you a brief description. It was the most incredible experience of my life. If it were possible I would do the military circuit year round. It was such a rewarding experience. People always say the money was great. Honestly it was all right but considering how many hours are put into it you don't make that much. In fact I had agreed to going about three weeks before I found out we got compensated.

I did send out three emails to my newsletter subscribers while we were on tour. I have those on my site if you are interested in reading. It might also help give you a feel about the whole thing.

http://www.TheTrickster.net/newsletter/archive.htm

Balkans'04 #1
Balkans'04 #2
Balkans'04 #3

They are .pdf format and if you need to download a free reader there is a link for that on the page as well.

Hope this helps... If you have any questions feel free to email me directly at RDSchell@TheTrickster.net, just put something relevant in the subject.

Thanks,

RDS
--
"I may not be a smart man, I'm just good at what I do"...

Deuces Wild Entertainment
www.TheTrickster.net

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Armed forces entertainment (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL