The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Boon writer or Swami gimmick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JohnLamberti
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
420 Posts

Profile of JohnLamberti
For those of you who do prediction effects, I was wondering what type of writer you use? I've been using a "C" type Swami, but I was thinking about picking up a Boon writer and experimenting with that. The thing is, I've heard that they're somewhat awkward to use. How about a TT writer? I'm basically wondering what everyone's preference is.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Old fashion Vernet TT NW.
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of tmoca
IMO, the Swami "c" type is BY FAR the best. I have never had a problem with this style. When it's on, it stays on. And it is next to invisible because it is so small.

With the boon you usually have 2 problems. Sticking it (and staying) and the "wobble". I have tried everything except super glue to get one of those things to stick to my thumb and it just is not happening. If you have any moisture at all in your hands, you will have a problem with the boon.

As far as the TT versions. Never had a need to use one.

If I want to use a pen or grease pencil, I have band writers for that. Kind of like a TT I guess.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
What about short thumbnails for the C version?
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Do a search, theres a few threads with tons of opinions...

with that said, I love the boon, unlike, it seems, a lot of people...

its never fallen off...as long as the putty is "warmed up", no problem.

Ive had no success with the NW's, regardless of how long or short my nails are...

Baba
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On 2005-03-01 08:10, Candini wrote:
What about short thumbnails for the C version?

Your nails do not have to be long. Just well groomed and not chewed to the stub. Hygiene and a pleasing appearance of the hands is something you should have anyway. You then adjust the swami to kind of "pinch" between itself and the nail.

Even if you do get a boon to stick, you are still left with the wobble. You have WAY more control over the swami and movement is far less.
DYL
View Profile
New user
Sheffield, UK
73 Posts

Profile of DYL
I have no problems using the swami. Even with short nails it works fine, as long as you have shaped the C part of it which fits beneath the nail.
I think a lot of people probably leave it flat, which stops it staying in position.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2173 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Swami gimmicks are a very personalized thing, and other people's opinions are of limited use. What works well for one does not work at all for another. The physical attributes of various people's hands vary considerably, as do their facilities to write with one digit or another. (Just one simple example: for many the Boon is ideal, but for others the ball of the thumb is too "fleshy", yielding an unstable base for writing.)

The best solution is just to experiment with the various technologies until you find the one that best suits you.

... Doug
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
I use a swami constantly in my work. I totally agree that each person much discover what works best for them. I, of course, like the Dalal undernail writer. It is large enough to control, easy to get on and off and - cheap!

The main reason I am writing is about the short fingernail thing. You really don't need very long nails to hold an undernail swami in place. Certainly you don't have to have the "wings" totally under your nail for it to work. But, if your nails are too short for even that, have you given thought to how they look to your audience? No where else in the performing world is an entertainers hands more "in the faces" of his audience. If your nails are cut (or bitten back) so short that it won't hold a writer, then maybe they are TOO short.

In matters of appearance, try this. If you are a man, how would you feel about a woman in these types of situations? (Woman magicians needn't read this as I have never seen one guilty of these things!) What would you say if a pretty girl was doing magic with nails so short that you could see the skin under the cuticles? Or what would you think about one with overly bushy eyebrows? Or what about dirty hands? See what I mean?

Richard
balcazar
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of balcazar
Swami is the best for me. Don't restrict yourself and try with different versions, you will find the best for you. Try the Sharpie version, sometimes you need to make a non pencil prediction...
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I've tried the under nail and stick on types and have resorted to a homemade TT type.
I agree with Babakali that a Café search will turn more info up.
Tom DV
View Profile
Special user
693 Posts

Profile of Tom DV
Simple and easy to get on and off - Dalal. And, yes, nice and cheap!

Never fails...put it on - do your work - ditch it immediately...perfect!

A very simple note from me, Tom.
JohnLamberti
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
420 Posts

Profile of JohnLamberti
I did a search for the sharpie writer...had not heard about that one before. Sounds pretty neat. I may have to pick one up, as it seems to have gotten good reviews. Any of you folks reading this use one?
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8255 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I have the super sharpie, it's ok but needs practise, I always manage to get ink on my hands, and it can be a bit noisy.
fizbin
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of fizbin
I prefer the boon type, but as others have said, find out what works for you. I would start with the under nail writers (because they are cheap). If they work for you, all the better. If not, then explore the other types. The Super Sharpie is awesome! (If you like Boon writers).
"All For Wonder..."
Earle M. Kelley
http://www.fizbinentertainment.com
Renaldi
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
106 Posts

Profile of Renaldi
I prefer the Boon writer for ease of use. Of course, it is a highly personal decision. You must experiment with a few different varieties to see what works best for you.
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
I find the undernail writer difficult to get on using 1 hand only.

Once it's on, it's easy to write and easy to get off.
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks...the reason my right thumbnail is short is my production of goldfish effect.

I did see your open Richard with the undernail writer on MM and with Jim, it defintely looks well concealed and easy to ditch.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Boon writer or Swami gimmick? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL