We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New to Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Midnight333
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Midnight333
Hey, guys. New to mentalism, not new to magic. I want to start doing cold reading for cash. It is true you can make a good buck doing this? Also, know any good books, videos? And where can I find a living/dead test? thanks.
Pekka
View Profile
Special user
Finland
560 Posts

Profile of Pekka
Apparently it can be a very lucrative business, just look at all those telephone numbers in your local paper. Some estimates that in the US alone the industry generates revenues of up to 2 billion dollars. So yes, you can make a buck out of it.

But it is not that easy, you have to be a relatively good actor or/and be devoted for the role. Do you really want to be known in your city as the clairvoyant?

Perhaps the best source for you would be Ian Rowland's The Full Facts book of Cold Reading. An excellent introduction to the art, after that read anything and everything you can, Including the self-help books and psychology books.
slangers
View Profile
New user
Denmark
86 Posts

Profile of slangers
Big bussines. Maybe that's the best way a actor can make money?
salamangkero8888
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of salamangkero8888
Though it may be a good way to make money, it will definitely not be easy. Being able to cold read very well requires a lot of experience. You have to be able to make certain connections for your clients when they can't make the connections, and convince them that it makes perfect sense. You also have to be smooth and suave, your personality will help a lot. If your clients don't like your attitude, they probably won't be going to you for a reading. I'm not an authority on cold reading, but I think that jumping into it and charging clients for the readings would not be good at all. If you happen to get a lot of misses, your reputation as a reader would be tainted. Aside from the book mentioned above, read The Dance by Brad Henderson.
Clinton Wayne
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Clinton Wayne
Midnight 333 ! first of all welcome to the Café and our forum. Just a few weeks ago I was in your boots and luckily have been embrassed by this community, you suhould defenately think about crossing overLOL (not like the tve show..promise!). Cold reading from my research can be mosly impovised, by looking at thier faces or how people react to what you say to them, I don't have any books yet but try Kenton neppers workshop OK. Don't be a stranger and feel free to ask us anything. Welcome again !
chicagoman
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of chicagoman
Midnight333, here's some really cogent advice that you probably won't apply (I'm a bit psychic you know).

If you want to do really good cold-reading in a psychic arena for cash, you'll waste a lot of money buying magicians' books on cold-reading.

BUY shut-eye books on card-reading, palmistry, runes, or whatever. Those reading systems have been around for centuries, they're effective and far-less expensive.

To shut-eyes, it's the real deal. To you it's cold-reading. It doesn't make any difference.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17538 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Hey Chicagoman....Just what books would you recommend?
Thanks
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Clinton Wayne
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Clinton Wayne
Chicago man do you have a source for the shut eye brand book. ? Curiuos minds need to know. Thank you.
Midnight333
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Midnight333
Hey, I know. Go to any book store and get any book published by Lewellyn. It will have a little moon on the spine, and most likely be in the occult or new age section. I know this because I have a few books on the subject. I was just wondering how much money I could expect to generate and about what to charge. thanks
chicagoman
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of chicagoman
Books by Richard Webster (who also happens to be a magician/mentalist and has works/books for "open-eye" readers) is a well-respected author of books on divination that you would find in any new age book store or probably in a normal one as well. Start there and look around.

As far as charging, well that's another story. You have to remember reading is a business or should I say "racket". How much you charge is correlated to how guts you have. How much are you willing to throw yourself into the role. I mean they are paying for a psychic reading, right?

Of course there are some basic laws or rules: like a doctor, "cause no harm". Don't give medical advice. Don't give legal or financial advice. Leave them with a smile (or they won't come back)--things like that.

I think, depending on the venue, a reading goes for $10-$15 like if you were strolling (or hawking) or at a psychic fair. But then again you could charge a flat fee if someone hired you for a party. ($150-250).

These are LOW prices btw. If you're really gutsy and experienced, you charge $60-$100 for a reading.

But again, know your stuff. That is, know the shut-eye stuff. BTW, I've heard you may surprise even yourself.
JarrodHenry
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of JarrodHenry
Also, it'd do you good to check the blue laws in your state/residency.

Many municipalities consider tarot/card reading / palmistry as a scam and there are fines for doing it. Further, many localities also require you to have a busker/entertainer's license. Just be careful. I know there are still a few places here in Tennessee where it's completely illegal to OWN a tarot deck.
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
Doug Dyment's website has a nice section on cold reading resources... see this post for a link:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=4003500

DaveS
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Webster is very good.
You can also use cold reading for future prediction.
Heck that is how I can offer the challanges I do on my web site.

Cheers

Jack
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New to Mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL