The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Dear Author.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
337 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
One thing I dearly LOVE in the Ganson Magic of Dai Vernon book, the bullit-point synopsis of each effect. Having read the material, it is great to be able to go to just one or two pages to get the sequence of moves. Each effect has the routine in one line bullits that allow a personto glance and refresh his or her mind. I wish more authors would follow Ganson's lead. Anyone else feel that way?
David
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Yes. Often, in the pamphlets, for awhile, they'd print the 'Bare Bones' of the trick to make learning easy. Each trick needs a brief 'what it is' at the beginning to let you know at least, where you are heading in the effect. Each needs the synopsis at the end for learning.

I think this type of concession will be increasingly important to hard-copy and print authors as the newer generation gets more used to visual learning, and loses the ability to mentally construct a series of moves/events and keep that structure in their heads as a dynamic image. It's an ability that learning magic thru books taught us, and it's going away. You can increasingly hear how hard it is for the younger kids to read and learn thru books. They just don't have that mental ability anymore.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Dear Author.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL