The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Self release harness hinges? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jeff Kellogg
View Profile
New user
Boston
52 Posts

Profile of Jeff Kellogg
Has anyone been able to find a source for these little plastic hinges, that come on the self releasing dove harnesses? I've been looking everywhere for them. I've tried ordinary metal hinges, but they do not smoothly release everytime. Then tend to get bent, and even just a little bending will stop the hinges from releasing from the thread. Anyone tried to make their own before?
MagicByRy
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of MagicByRy
A long time ago I tried to achieve the same effect and wasn't able to find plastic hinges. However, I didn't look very hard, I went with the metal hinges and instead of thread I used wire. It worked great and was easier to hook up than thread. You may want to try that. Sorry I wasn't more helpful.
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Create a "hinge" out of fabric. Just several loops on each side that join together like a hinge in the middle... run a piece of fish line through them, and you're done. They wont snag on your jacket or pockets either like a plastic or metal one will...

If all else fails, go to a model airplane hobby shop or website. They carry plastic hinges.

Dave
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of knmagic
Just put a long piece of ribbon along inside the opening of the dove bag. Use a needle to run a fishing line from the begining through the end of the opening of the dove bag, leave about 2" extra line. Tie a saftey pin there and hook that safety pin inside your jacket. When you pull the catgut, the bag comes out, the thread stays and the dove bag is open automatically.
Ken
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
The hinges are available at Craft Stores, after you buy them go to a jeweler who will remove the pins for you. The hinges in a dove bag was the idea of the Mexican dove magician Zicarte.

Later on Tony Clark applied the idea to some of his bags.

G0THIKE
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
Yup Dave is right go to a hobby shop and look for model airplane hinges.
Zaubern Smile
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Fabric hinges are better imo.

Matt
Jeff Kellogg
View Profile
New user
Boston
52 Posts

Profile of Jeff Kellogg
SWEET! I have a remote controlled model airplane with those hinges right on it! I should have known! Blastphemy!
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Check out Outwater Plastics... They carry a whole bunch of different size plastic hinges... I have found many of their other products useful when building some of my larger effects...
Bryan
p.s.- they are not strictly plastic...they also have diamond plate surfaces, etc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Self release harness hinges? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL