The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Which "Ring" on a String? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
I have been practicing the Dan Turcotte "Ring on a String" routine, which is really a lot of fun. However, I haven't found a ring that really works in my hand. I would like something bigger than a finger ring. I tried a ring from a horse halter, but it is too big and rounded to handle easily. Dan suggested using a seating valve from a Ford Engine, but every parts dealer in town looks at me like I'm nuts when I ask for this and say they've never heard of it. I'm looking for a ring roughly half-dollar sized with an edge for easy handling. Suggestions?
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
phread
View Profile
Elite user
md
486 Posts

Profile of phread
How about an ellis ring?
dug
Deckless Wonder
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
I looked up the Ellis ring and it looks like a super effect by itself. Thanks for the suggestion. For my routine, I am looking for something small enought to comfortably finger palm. Any ideas?

Thanks--

Flimnar
chennell
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of chennell
A curtain ring sould do it ? good luck
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
If the ring doesn't have to be a plain band, you might try and get a chunkier finger ring. College rings or graduation rings work well for me. The older rings from the '60s and earlier are generally more attractive than more modern versions.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I'd check with Josten's. I don't know if they still make the Super Bowl rings, but they might have some that are samples or rejected for a minor defect. When I was a kid, a friend of my dad did a favor for one of his business contacts by acting as a courier for a Josten's rep. One of the rings he delivered was a ring belonging to Terry Bradshaw. I got a chance to try it on and that thing spread my fingers WIDE! It was HUGE! The base of his finger must have been 1 1/2" across!

If worse came to worse, you could just get a silver ring in a rather large size. Silver is a fairly cheap metal, anyway. I use a pinky ring when I perform Ring & String because the moves work best with a smaller ring. I use moves from manuscripts from Dan Garrett and Mark Leveridge.
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
Good suggestions! I'll check out buying either a cheap class ring (if such a thing exists) or a larger silver ring. I think, like Alan, a smaller ring may work better for my hand.

Flimnar
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Which "Ring" on a String? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL