The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What paper for billets? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1143 Posts

Profile of KiKi
Hi guys! I usually use index cards for mentalism, but sometimes also billets. I have the problem by unfolding the billets secretly, because of this 'rustle' sound. How do you handle that, or what kind of paper do you use? Greetings.
ThomasBerger
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of ThomasBerger
I use filing card.

Easy to use the "umbrella" move or anything else...
Plus it is easy to buy as much as you need.
Tom
fudge
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of fudge
Index cards are also fine for the umbrella move
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
I use blank index cards. 3" by 5". Bought a package at Staples - 500 of them. I had my printer cut them in half. Perfect!
You have to give it away to keep it.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Kiki...

Don't ever worry about the "rustle" of a billet being opened...patter as you open it, that will cover any noise. A good way to open a billet with one hand is the "umbrella" move. It's fast and can be closed just as fast.

If you worry about such things during a performance, it'll take away your concentration and your presentation will suffer for it.

Personally, when I do my billet routine, the billets are folded 3 times and then stapled shut.

~Rick~
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Rick...
your wisdom has been missed!!
The staple vibe solidifies, in their minds, the "fact" that you simply CANNOT peek!

Oh the marriage of sugestion and mentalism....and magic for this matter...
Aarnoud Agricola
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Aarnoud Agricola
I cut my billets out of plain thick white A4 paper (120 gram/square meter). One A4 sheet gives me 16 billets (A8). That size and that material works fine for me: easy to palm, to open and secretly peek.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Hmm.. can anyone give me a little more info on the umbrella move?
Or, if it's in 13 Steps or Practical Mental Magic, just let me know, I have them but haven't noticed an "umbrella" move as yet. ( I also haven't read them cover to cover yet either. )
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Yeah bro, it's in the 13 steps Bible!

Basically one handed action going on...I'm sure you've done it before, without knowing its label...
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Tommy Tucker taught me the umbrella move...he did it it full view of the audience if he had a wise guy heckler. Tommy would haul the guy up on stage and have him write something down on the slip and fold it and hand it back to him.

Tom would place his arm over the guys shoulder and umbrella opened the slip while the audience watched and had a good laugh, the wise guy was totally oblivious to Tommy's actions...so the joke was on the heckler as Tommy would "read his thoughts" and send him back to his seat. Tommy would have the last laugh on the guy...he was great !
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Tanky. I'll look that up tonight ! Now I imagine this little rod sticking out of the center of the paper with a little slide lever on it .. Foof ! Smile
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
Quote:
On 2005-03-03 11:52, RickSilmser wrote:

personally, when I do my billet routine, the billets are folded 3 times and then stapled shut.

~Rick~

What's the point of this statement?

Also I don't realy agree with the Tommy Tucker approach as to me this is just plain exposure, whether it was done for laughs or not. How can you recommend someone learn a move and then praise someone for exposing the same move?
One day I will write a book
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Hi Jordan...thanks for your comments. My point about the staple is...I make lots of noise opening a stapled billet and there is no worry on my part, it's not important worrying about it, just do it and move along with the act. I'm surprised you didn't pick up on that from what we were talking about, Jordan.

As far as questioning about Tommy Tucker...trust me, he had his reasons for doing what he did. With time, age, and experience, you'll know what I mean.

~Rick~
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Sounds a bit like something from a pick pocket act. I imagine it would play well.

Cheers,

Jack
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Hi Jack...It played well for Tommy for many years. I can still remember the day he told me about it. If you ever had the pleasure to talk to Tommy Tucker, you'll know the man was a warehouse of knowledge and stories from experience.

~Rick~
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
I'm sorry but I still disagree with the Tommy Tucker approach. I don't for one second believe that experience brings you a warrent to expose moves etc. Maybe I'm just being a jerk but I just find this bad.
However I do understand the staple comment now.
One day I will write a book
Jon Stetson
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of Jon Stetson
Quote:
On 2005-03-04 20:23, RickSilmser wrote:
Hi Jack...It played well for Tommy for many years. I can still remember the day he told me about it. If you ever had the pleasure to talk to Tommy Tucker, you'll know the man was a warehouse of knowledge and stories from experience.

~Rick~

Rick, Thanks for mentioning the brilliant Tommy Tucker. Tom was a great friend and mentor.

Best,
Stetson
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Jordan,

I might point out that from the description of Mr. Tucker’s presentation that it would not appear to be exposure to the audience. It would look as though the performer is being a wise guy for their entertainment.
Not unlike a pickpocket act.

I agree with you on exposure but to some extent that is what goes on here.
I believe in the near future this site could end up being a real problem
(as far as being a resource for the curious).

It was pointed out to me to be careful about what I discussed here concerning my work because the forum is open to every one who wants to look.
(Tom Cutts was kind enough to point this out to me.)
Not just users of this site.

Cheers,

Jack
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
(Jordan said: "I'm sorry but I still disagree with the Tommy Tucker approach")

Hi Jordan...Tommy Tucker was 1/2 of the finest ESP team in the English speaking world. If Tommy Tucker thought it was ok to do, then you can bet your Sunday best that the reason he had was darn good.

Jordan, I think Tommy Tucker had forgotten more about Mentalism than you and I will ever know about it.

~Rick~
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

C'mon Rick.

From your post one can assume he only would know half as much as I do.
You made clear he needed help to do his act.

He was but half a mentalist.
I don't think I could deal with that.

Cheers,

Jack
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What paper for billets? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL