The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best Version of Triumph? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Michael T
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Michael T
Hi....

I was just looking at an Ammar tape and saw Bannons Play it Straight Triumph, although this was quite an impressive version of triumph (description at the end) it dawned on me how many versions of this I know!

Theres Vernons original, Harris' Unshuffling Rebecca, the Magician Vs. plots, Colour Triumphs, Darryls Double Dazzler and the list goes on!

I was wondering what you opinion is on the best version of triumph. What makes it so good? What is your favourite way to present triumph?

Thanks!

(Bannons Play it Straight Triumph: Card is selected and the deck is cut into four piles. These four piles are shuffled into each other one at a time, face up face down until you have one chaotic deck. The magician claims he will use only magic to fix all these face up cards and face dwon cards, leaving only one face up. Whoops! He forgot to have the selection returned! Ah well, he spreads the cards to show now only ace through king of one suit is face up in order! but one card is missing, and that is the selected card)
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
My personal favorite is the Vernon version from Stars of Magic. If the shuffles are convincing, it is an absolute miracle, plus it is a very clear and easy effect to follow if presented correctly.

I think Bannon's version is great. It is probably my second favorite version of this effect and it is my favorite of all of John Bannon's effects.

Two other versions that have a foot in the camp of "Triumph" are "Topsy Turvy Aces" (Ed Marlo effect - by the way, there is a stellar handling of this effect by Andrew Wimhurst on video) and "Greek Poker" by Darwin Ortiz.
ME
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
hi ..steel..
ive seen on video of course ,
frank garcia perform triumph and ken krenzell on one of his vids do this effect . but dominique duviver a wonderful french magacian does a triump usining his own zarrow shuffle and different handling . in his hands the trick becomes a stunner,. vol, 2 the magic of d duviver . check it out
hope this helps vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
mattpuglisi
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
321 Posts

Profile of mattpuglisi
Larry Jennings' in the hands Triumph effect, from The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings, ranks high among my favorites.
Lack of invention is the mother of necessity - Robert Nozick

Instagram: @matthewthomas00
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I prefer Vernon's from Stars of Magic as well. I performed it in a practice session for Dave Malek one day and he was floored! The key: don't look at the deck whilst shuffling; it's more natural that way.

Play it straignt is excellent, and has an interesting advantage: it can immediately follow Vernon's Triumph as the stack is unaltered. Here's the procedure in a nutshell: Have one card selected for Triumph, another for Play it Straight. Have the Triumph card returned, and perform the Triumph shuffle(s), cuts, and revelation. (Tip: use Daryl's six stack display.) Perform the Play it Straight shuffles and announce that you'll reveal the second card; simple: the second spectator still has it. spread the cards to show the rest of the cards in that suit face-up and in order, and name the selected card. I love this combination, and perform it with patter that I was doing it for my kids. My daughter did the Vernon shuffle, then my son--to make it more complicated--did the Play it Straight shuffle. (Another tip: when you separate the deck into four stacks, study the cards as you riffle them, and stick your tongue out to the side. The audience will never realize that you're really studying the faces of the cards; it'll look like a big joke.) A killer combination.
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
Garrett Nelson
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Garrett Nelson
"Greek Poker" by Darwin Ortiz."

Oy!
Todd
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Todd
I don't know if I've found my favorite yet.
Outstanding Triumph by Larry Jennings is great,so is Vernons. I love Play It Straight Triumph by Bannon,but sometimes the spectator doesn't take the spread of 13 cards in front of them. I've had,on a few different occasions,the person take the card from the very end or beginning of the deck. From there I just go into Vernons or Jennings version. I like Bannons version cause the cards are actually shuffled together,I'll have to try s2000magicians idea!

Also,I've heard Sankeys Back In Time triumph is a good one but I've yet to try it out for myself. Anyone else give his a try?
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
As far as Triumphs itself goes, I am somewhat partial to JC Wagners in hands Triumph from his Commercial Magic book. I also like to follow it up with Harry Loraynes version of Daryls 6 packet cut display to show all the cards mixed condition.

Kraft
do magic

www.8bom.net
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
As an opener I love daryl's "Double Dazzler Triumph" and impromtu I like using Paul Harris' "Gambler vrs. mentalist vrs. magician". Martin nash's Color Seperation is also great, an effect that isn't an effect that gets ready for Out of this world.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/abstagecraft
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Mind Bullets
View Profile
Loyal user
200 yards away
258 Posts

Profile of Mind Bullets
Jay Sankey's "Back In Time."
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
My favorite is Jennings' "Outstanding," followed by his "Kings Triumph" (also from Classic Magic). "Kings" uses four of a kind rather than a single selection, and has the advantage that once the cards are mixed, the work is done -- no more cuts or moves. This makes it a nice follow-up Triumph routine when you're asked to "do that again."

Where is Daryl's version published?

Quinn
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Andy G
View Profile
Regular user
Terra Australis
180 Posts

Profile of Andy G
Back in Time is an excellent version, but my favourite is Guy Hollingworth's in the hands version from Drawing Room Deceptions. The beaty of it is you can cull the three mates of the selection as you reveal the deck has turned face up, you can go straight into producing the mates.
Kard16
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of Kard16
an overlooked version of triumph can be found in the aoa series, traveling triumph. Though it is a hard version of triumph to preform, it is very good.
danny
View Profile
Loyal user
England
269 Posts

Profile of danny
I love Sadowitz's name a card triumph, I saw it on TV and it just blew me away. It seems impossible even if you know the ordinary triumph.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Johnny Thompson has a great version of the Stars of Magic Triumph on his great videos, worthy of looking at. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
I agree with with the nominations of Jerry Sadowitz's version. But it depends what you mean by "best version". I think John Bannon's has a high degree of bafflement for the minimal necessary sleight of hand.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
bumbleface
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of bumbleface
Quote:
On 2002-09-27 21:27, Quinn wrote:

Where is Daryl's version published?

Quinn

Daryl's version is published in a booklet and can be found on his website http://www.daryl.net
It is also on his London video. Smile
scheda
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago, IL
287 Posts

Profile of scheda
I have not seen too many of these myself. But I have a version of triumph that I think is very deceptive and good. I intend on putting a video of it on the internet soon. Although i do not think it is anywhere near the best, I do think it is very good.(of course i am somewhat biased about it....)

Smile
Coming soon... Who knows!
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Quote:
Daryl's version is published in a booklet and can be found on his website http://www.daryl.net

Thanks bumbleface. I never realized it was sold individually, and I thought I'd have to track down his out-of-print Puerto Rican Gambler book to learn it. You've saved me some bucks.

Quinn
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best Version of Triumph? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL