The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Proper Presentation for the 37 effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicman02
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of magicman02
I have a question regarding the classic 37 effect. I do it all the time, but lately I think I been doing it wrong. Do you tell someone to think of a ODD number between 1-50 but use different digits OR do you tell them to just think of a number between 1-50 and use different digits? Do you emphasize the ODD factor at all?
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
530 Posts

Profile of sludge
Reread Banacheks Psychological Subtleties, it tells you there.
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
I always thought it was "think of any 2 digit number between 1 and 50, both digits must be odd and both different from each other." Is this correct?
magicman02
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of magicman02
I cant find my banachek book to check out the proper presentation, but I think Pit Boss you are right.
chicagoman
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of chicagoman
Pit Boss, you got it but magicman, there are subtleties than just giving out those instructions. Think about it. You don't want them to think there is something in those instructions. Make it seem like it's a test and you're working together.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Some people feel that it helps if you add, "Both different digits, for example, it can't be 11." The thinking is that this tends to keep away answers in the teens. Experiment, though--it depends on the kind of person you're dealing with.

Jack Shalom
Clinton Wayne
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Clinton Wayne
Sounds like mathemagic to me..run clinton run LEL ! Is there a simple number one that has a semilar effect on a layman ?
fudge
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of fudge
A few little helpers for this, I use, 2 different odd digits, so you cannot have 11 but you could have 15, but rememeber any number between one and FIFTY (EMPHASISE HERE - PUSHES THEM SLIGHTLY TOWARDS THAT END)
DanielLove
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
265 Posts

Profile of DanielLove
Do people really still use this?
Its the sort of thing you get in circular office emails.
I don't think it's really going to fool all that many people.
Maybe a good example of how we all make similar choices,
but not as an effect in itself.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
I do it with TWO people (and three slips of paper). I ask the first to "write down a number between zero and fifty. Both digits are odd, but not the same number...so you couldn't use 11 or 33. Now make sure I can't see it." (That's the exact wording I use.) I then look at them as if scanning their "brainwaves" and write "35", then cross it out and write "37" in the upper half of my paper.

Then I tell the other person "I want you to write down a number between 50 and 100, but make your digits even and not the same". I go thru the same prediction routine and write "68" near the bottom of my paper. I put my paper face down and say "OK, I'm committed. Let's see what you wrote." I then reveal my predictions.

I have ALWAYS gotten at least one correct...usually both. Sometimes the first is 35 or sometimes the second is 86, but you can blow this off with "Ah, that was my first guess" or "I got the digits, just not the order." You are virtually guaranteed to have 2 miracles, or one miracle and a semi-miracle.

I used to miss occasionally using just "37". But the odds of both failing are really small, using the language I use. I would credit this approach but I don't remember where I picked it up. Sankey, Harlan, or Maven, I think...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Proper Presentation for the 37 effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL