The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Fanieul Hall Auditions Boston (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Danny, as I said on your forum, you were good enough to be featured on Cellini's DVD, you're good enough for Fanny Hall. Next year

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Danny, do you get to know who made it? What the criteria was for not selecting you?
Obviously you're a worker so what gives?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
Please Danny, you saw what was possibly the worst audition I have ever done. And why I have to remember not to drink coffee before the audition.

Besides as good a pitch as Fanny is, the current management by a lot of accounts that I have heard is the worst group to run it in the last 26 years. So frankly

On the plus side moments after I found out that I did not get in there, I did get my call from the Red Sox (finally) saying that they want me back. So I guess in the long run I am well ahead of the game.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2118 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
You know....I've never actually SEEN you perform Danny, but from my time in here I get the distinct impression that you're good by any account. I suspect that this might be a case of politics. I understand you're freinds with Gazzo, so THAT can't be it.....I just don't know....mabye someone already in the loop who has the ear of management feels threatened by you or something.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Hi guys,
Thanks for all the good thoughts and well wishes.

Pete: Right you are sir. I have been working a most excellent pitch all to myself for the last few weeks that for my act (small stand up cabaret type) is perfect and a good money maker.

Frank: Guys who were not on the program last year that made it this year were Gazzo, and my pal Malik (a balloon twister). Gazzo you all know, but my friend Malik Hadaddi is a great entertainer and natural comedian. Malik went out and twisted a few balloons and ad libbed for 10 minutes. The dude is a hoot! So if the problem was available slots and they got them, they deserved them; they both have much more experience, talent, and more commercial shows, than I do.

I am going to ask if I can get a copy of my score cards to see where I need improvement so that next year I will hopefully have a stronger act.

I just went full time in November. For the past three years due to a divorce, job issues, and building a new family, I had not gone out much, and the last two years not at all. I was very comfortable with my audition this year and thought it went okay but the bottom line is I probably lacked the polish that they are looking for.

I mean the guys who work the west end of Faneuil Hall are some of the best variety entertainers I have ever seen, anywhere. I worked Harvard Square's May Fair this past Sunday and split a pitch with Yo-Yo guy and his wife. The rock solid polish, professionalism, and talent they displayed was humbling.

It also showed me how much I don't know about street theater. Going from a table act and knocking out $5 hats 6 or seven times an hour with your five or ten minute act and doing 45 minutes of solid, pee your pants funny, commercial entertainment, and walking away with a $200 hat on a rainy Sunday, is a completely different animal.

Historically I am a doorway worker from Harvard Square. Yes, I have done a lot of shows, I have brought home money, I know (intellectually) what it takes to make a street show tick.

But a doorway act in Harvard Square is the lowest rung on the ladder of legitimate street theater. The distance between Harvard Square and Fanuiel Hall is not measured in miles but in stage time.

I had hoped that by not trying for the big show spots (which would be absolutely idiotic for me to consider) and focusing on a smaller spot I might get in. I thought I might be good enough for that. I am not, yet. I am a full time pro this year. There will be a lot of shows between now and next April. If I do my job, pay the price, and EARN my way in, when I deserve it I have no doubt that I will get in.

It's a process, there is no shame in not being good enough, the shame is in staying not good enough.

I have other places to work this year (luckily) and I have been getting great response from the paid gigs I have been doing. So, hopefully, I'll get in next year.

But, even next year if I am fortunate enough to get in it will be as a small act. Guys like Peter Gross, Jim Show, Gazzo, Peter Panic, Yo-Yo guy, and the rest of the big acts that work Faneiul Hall play in a whole different league than I do.

So for this year it is the paid gigs and my new "secret spot". No worries, I try it again next year.

Best,

Dan-

P.S. Matt, you'll get them next year buddy!

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Danny ... I can certainly understand why they wouldn't want a performer of your caliber there. I mean, the crowds would flock you like noone else and people would end up standing around waiting all day just to see you do something -- anything, like scratch your butt even. As long as your doing it, the people want to see it.

Face it, your too good for Fanieul Hall - with your talent, all their paying tentants would be complaining that nobody is shopping cause everyone wants to see your act over and over again.

I know this because I have the exact same problem! We'll get ours in the end my friend. Smile

JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
Learn JoeJoe's secrets at Magic Joint dot com
isaacfawlkes
View Profile
Loyal user
FL
245 Posts

Profile of isaacfawlkes
Quote:
On 2005-05-03 19:07, Danny Hustle wrote:
It's a process, there is no shame in not being good enough, the shame is in staying not good enough.

Danny

That one thought sums up what all of us should remember. It doesn't matter if you are a new performer on a seasoned vet we all need to continue to grow as performers.

You sound as though you have the right attitude and drive to make it in this business.

I believe that when one door closes another opens. Something even better is in store for you.
Good luck

Isaac Fawlkes
MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
Hi all!

Danny, nope- I didn’t get in. As we’ve already discussed off this board the news really comes as no surprise (Hahaha- yelling at the judges never really seems to help all that much). The stuff that I was doing this time, from their perspective, was probably a bit edgy (frankly I disagree if someone was to say that it’s too edgy but it’s difficult to prove otherwise in a mere 10 minutes).

So I’m disappointed but not stunned. It would have been a nice little extra income and I would have had a hell of a lot of fun out there. But oh well. However, for those that did get in I wish you all nothing but the best!

As a side note, how in god’s name did they NOT accept Blair Torlfson?!?! He’s as well established there as Gazzo is. They’re both freakin’ mainstays!!! Evidently some of these judges were a bit loopy.

Danny, did you ask for a copy of your score cards and if so, did they give it to you? I’d be curious as well. So I was thinking about emailing them to ask them the same.

Anyway, for those interested I’ll be performing off-Broadway in NYC in June and in Providence, RI in July. Both are theater shows and I’d love to have any or all of you come on out should you be in the area. PM me for more info if you’re interested.

Cheers,
-Matt (TK)
ashah
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of ashah
Quote:
On 2005-05-03 19:07, Danny Hustle wrote:
I worked Harvard Square's May Fair this past Sunday and split a pitch with Yo-Yo guy and his wife. The rock solid polish, professionalism, and talent they displayed was humbling.

Rats! I saw the Yo-Yo guy's act but somehow missed Danny! The way the wife was introduced into the yo-yo show was so clever. It made my day.

I was on my way to the Faneuil Hall auditions on the original date but went back home when it started to pour. Good decision since they were canceled. But I couldn't make it back on the rescheduled date.
magicsteve99
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of magicsteve99
Danny, I am really impressed by your humility and perserverence. No doubt in my mind that you will get this one next year. Hang in there. Hope to perform next to you someday. In the show biz tradition, break both legs, buddy!
The Amazing Stephen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Fanieul Hall Auditions Boston (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL