The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Magazines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mikeflex
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of mikeflex
Hi,

I am thinking of subscribing to a magic magazine (if there are any) to help me with my magic, and just for interests sake.

I live in Canada. Are there any magic magazines in Canada or the US? Which ones do you recommend.

Thanks!
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
I just subscribed to Magic Magazine for the first time. I've heard nothing but good things about it, and I can't wait for the first issue to arrive!

The Society of American Magicians (SAM) has assemblies in Canada. With membership, you get the M-U-M magazine, which is supposed to be pretty good.

The International Brotherhood of Magicians (IBM) also has the Linking Ring magazine, which I know is great!

Note: Joining these two organizations has many other benefits beyond the magazine and is highly recommended.
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
There is a fantastic e journal called COGITATIONS by Steven Youell. It is definitely one of the best investments I made. Have a look. They have a banner here.

Peace,

Rannie

If you are looking for a MAGAZINE, I would go with MAGIC MAGAZINE and GENII. I like both of them.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
1.) I would recommend GENII if you can only get one .

http://www.geniimagazine.com/

2.) MAGIC is good , too .

http://www.magicmagazine.com/
Ricardo_magician
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Ricardo_magician
Hi I suggest The Magic Magazine. its got lots of good info in it.

Ricardo_magician
scottasf
View Profile
Regular user
san leandro, ca
157 Posts

Profile of scottasf
Hello,

HANDS DOWN, it is MAGIC magazine. I have not read Genii since the Larsons stopped publishing it. I have subscribed to MAGIC on and off when it was just a news letter called INSIDE MAGIC. Stan Allen has a great Knowledgeable staff that contributes to an award winning final product.

Also, see if you can find old copies of Tannens Magic Manuscript and Michael Ammars MAJ. And while on the topic, Some of the old timers magic Newsletters have now mad their way into bound Editions. Get them too!!

Magically Thine,

Scott Alcalay
2008/2009 President Oakland Magic Circle

"Life would be so wonderful if we only knew what to do with it." - Greta Garbo
Tabasco
View Profile
Loyal user
The Netherlands
219 Posts

Profile of Tabasco
Thanks giys this is wonderfull information, and they even ship to the netherlands
the biggest card trick exchange center,
we have over 1600 tricks in our indexes.
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
MAGIC Magazine is the choice to go. Despite it being a tad more expensive than Genii Magazine.

However, it has more info and reviews etc

cheerios
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
tony4938
View Profile
New user
Stafford, UK
94 Posts

Profile of tony4938
A new magazine was released at Blackpool called Magicseen, haven't read it myself yet but it has had some great reviews by the top names. You can get it here;

http://www.magicseen.co.uk

Tony
B.K.Pal
View Profile
New user
India
74 Posts

Profile of B.K.Pal
Any info about the LAUGH MAKER magazine pl? Is it still in publication?
Sincerely Yours,....PAL
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Another vote for MAGIC. Although I do not subscribe to MAGIC I pick it up now and then at the local magic shop. I bought GENIE when there was the free DVD but not since then. Both have free tricks and lots of adds (if you want to find a new magic vender). Magic also gives news about magic and magicains (i.e. McBride setting a new world record).
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
I recommend Magic Magazine too! And the Linking Ring Magazine.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I vote for Magic and Genii. Linking Ring should be automatic with your IBM membership.

Bob
Magic By Sander
The Amazed Wiz
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Gary Kruse
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado Springs
146 Posts

Profile of Gary Kruse
I'm the opposite of ScottASF. I didn't subscribe to Genii until Richard Kaufman started publishing it. Terrific magazine. However, I think that you have to ask yourself if you are looking for stories, tricks, etc. Buy one of everything you can find and see what you think!

Gary
Will Gordon
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
124 Posts

Profile of Will Gordon
I love Magic magazine! The have great articles on books and DVDs as well as sleights, tricks and magic history. Do yourself a favor and get a copy.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Laugh Makers stopped being published a few years back.

There was a void for a "variety arts" magazine for several years. A fairly new (5 years) magazine is now out called "Funny Paper" and is geared toward the family entertainer, with an emphasis on kids magic and stuff.

It was originally put out by Chris Van Krieken of Canada but was turned over a couple of months ago to Samuel Patrick Smith, who now publishes it. You can get additional information at http://www.spsmagic.com.

I subscribe to it and enjoy reading it. Give it a look and see what you think.
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
I like reading both Genii and magic magazine but if I had to choose one I would have to go for Genii.
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Magazines (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL