The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Charlie Miller Indian Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
I just picked up at an auction an old set of Morrissey Charlie Miller Indian cups. They are in great shape and have a nice patina. They came with a crude copy of the Miller routine, originally published in maybe Genii in 1968, and apparently included by Morrissey.

Anyway, the balls were not present, and Miller is vague about sizes. Can anyone give me some help on what sizes I would need--maybe six one inch and some very small ones (don't have a clue on what size these should be.) Also, what are some other routines that are nice, that people use.
Chris
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24264 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
These sets are still produced by Morrissey, with all of the balls and the carrying bag. If you send an e-mail to them, you might be able to purchase just the cork balls for the cups. Their prices are quite reasonable.

Pete Biro has published a routine for Indian cups. These Charlie Miller cups are a tad small for the routine Pete published.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
There aren’t many references for the Indian/Hindu cups. Other than the Pete Biro book, which was sold with his cups, the only other sources of material I know of are:

1. Eddie Joseph: The Hindu Cups: An Expose of the Greatest Mystery in the Orient. Abbott’s Magic.
    Contents can be viewed here:
    http://magicref.tripod.com/booksjr/josephhindu.htm

2. Hugh Miller: Rink's Magic From Holland. Supreme Magic, 1978
    Contents can be viewed here:
    http://magicref.tripod.com/booksjr/millerrinks.htm

3. Merlyn T. Shute: Nine Modern Classics.
    Still available through various dealers.

4. P.K. Ilango: Indian Cups & Balls.

5. Don Alan's Magic Ranch Series (video). Available as a set of four videos from Stevens Magic
    http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=149

Best,

Richard

:cups:
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
Thanks to both of you.
Chris
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I love the Indian cups... best is to work out your own routine, what fits you.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24264 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Pete:

I must respectfully disagree. The best is to purchase a set of the Shankar cups from Pete Biro, learn the material in the instruction booklet (Profusely illustrated) THEN work out your own routine.

Seriously, the ideas in your booklet are inspirational.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Pete,

Are you still selling your Indian cups?

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
666 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Chris,

I have a set of the Charlie Miller Indian Cups from Morrissey, and since I got a set of copper cups soon after, the Indian cups are almost New in Box.

So, the instructions are a two page description of the Miller routine from the Genii reprint.

And there are many cork balls:
some of the balls are natural cork and some are pressed cork bits

3 balls are 1.25 in. but don't fit under the cups flat
3 balls 1 in
9 balls are .75 in
8 balls are .5 in

You don't need all of the balls at once so get some that you are comfortable with.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6784 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2005-03-06 18:29, Bill Palmer wrote:
Pete:

...purchase a set of the Shankar cups from Pete Biro, learn the material in the instruction booklet (Profusely illustrated) THEN work out your own routine...the ideas in your booklet are inspirational.

Yes! I am a proud owner of those very cups. I could write a review that could fill a page about the Pete Biro Hindu Cups! Also they come with a nice, finished bamboo wand, that fits the set PERFECTLY...in fact, I use the wand in other effects as well.

If you can still get a set from Pete, DO IT! I've never seen a set like it. Also, before ordering, have him autograph the booklet for ya...I forgot to do that, and am still planning on sending it to him to have that done! If my stock hits, I'll fly there and have him sign it in person! LOL! Smile

Doug
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
Quote:
On 2005-03-07 18:26, Magic.J.Manuel wrote:
Chris,

I have a set of the Charlie Miller Indian Cups from Morrissey, and since I got a set of copper cups soon after, the Indian cups are almost New in Box.

So, the instructions are a two page description of the Miller routine from the Genii reprint.

And there are many cork balls:
some of the balls are natural cork and some are pressed cork bits

3 balls are 1.25 in. but don't fit under the cups flat
3 balls 1 in
9 balls are .75 in
8 balls are .5 in

You don't need all of the balls at once so get some that you are comfortable with.

Thank you.
Chris
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6784 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Sorry, off topic again, but...

Pete, you never answered the question...are you still selling those gorgeous Hindu Cups & Balls w/Wand?

On Topic:

I have a set of Charlie Miller Indian Cups & Balls. Mine came with 3 Large, 3 medium, and 4 small cork balls. The handling is different than the wooden Owen Hindu cups or similar. The cups are much smaller, and require palming the balls WAY down the palm, toward the wrist...not hard to do, takes a knack...

It is also recommended you have a small rug to work on. Mine is a thick carpet sample, grass green, really thick, so the large balls sink down into it. You can get these for a dollar or two from carpet dealers and flea markets.

Long live Hindu Cups & Balls! Smile

Doug

Update: April 14 2005

On Apr 2nd I asked:

"Pete, you never answered the question...are you still selling those gorgeous Hindu Cups & Balls w/Wand?"

Well...12 days have come and gone...Pete Biro must've left the building! I guess that question will have to go unanswered... Smile

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Charlie Miller Indian Cups (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL