The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Daryl's "taking a bite out a plate" trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Is this a manuscript? Gimmick? Is it any good?
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Russ
View Profile
Regular user
Muskogee, Oklahoma
124 Posts

Profile of Russ
I seen Daryl's Millinium Tour and he did it there. It might work for some but not for me because of the atire restriction (have to wear something black).
Russ
"All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten" by Robert Fulghum
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I did see Daryl do this in his lecture. Because of the nature of the trick, it's not something that you're going to be able to do just everywhere. Yes, you need to wear black or very dark clothing. Yes, it's not going to work under very bright lighting. However, in the situations where it can be done, it will probably be GREAT!
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
I Love most of Daryl's stuff (one of my favorites is Fusion Illision)but I was not overly impressed with this one.
Most magically yours,
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Instead of the effect, it is better to learn Daryl's handling of the prop.The effect itself,though,is not that so great,the good handling of the simple prop is what I think we should learn Smile
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
Jeff S.
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Jeff S.
If you buy the marketed item, you get a gimmick and instructions (I believe). I have the lecture notes which explains this effect along with a number of others. He has a dvd that has just been released also. I have not put any time into this effect, but imagine it could be fun if you pull it off. And if you don't, you could just throw if off as a gag. Not bad, not great.
metaphyzix
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of metaphyzix
this trick does have its limitations as aforementioned, but its also not that practical-- about the only time youll be doing this is at the family dinner table, or perhaps when youre dining out...

if you plan to use this for table-hopping, youd have to either carry a plate around with you, or borrow a spectators plate... excellent idea, but not really practical.
brainman
View Profile
Special user
971 Posts

Profile of brainman
Absolutely not practical...could(!) only be done far away on a big stage with black shirt.
But not usable for practical table hopping or close-up magic. I own it - I never was able to use it. Even the gimmick does not fit on ANY plate!
My opinion - forget it!
P
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Taking A Bite Out Of A Plate is at least a hundred years old.
It's certainly not an original routine from the admittedly fertile mind of Darryl.
It was originally designed to be done on a small stage; so any attempt to make it into a walkaround table-hopping piece is pointless.
If you can think of a reason for
a: having a plate on stage;
b: taking a bite out of it;
c: restoring it;
then it might be useful.
Otherwise . . . . Smile
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
Well said Peter,
But, this technique can be adapted to anything you want to bite and restore,
I put it over a jumbo coin (with a hell of a struggle) and covered the bitten piece with silver foil, it created quite a good effect.
Don't limit yourself to a plate, expand your imagination,
How about:
a card?
a jumbo coin ?
a bill ?
These are some things that are more accessible than a plate.
Its an ok principle, but the cloteshes are limited.
-Kevin-
Smile
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Kevin makes an excellent point!

I do believe there is a marketed version of 'Biting the card' but the name escapes me.

Cheers,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
Oh,
The name has slipped me too,
It is by Meir Yedid, Biting sensations is it ?
The only difference with that is it if a full deck that is bitten. I am not 100% sure its the same method though, maybe someone can clarify this ?
I liked the bitten jumbo 2.5" coin. It was impressive. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Daryl's "taking a bite out a plate" trick (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL