The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Info on Magician's Socities / Associations / Guilds? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia, now In New Zealand
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
Does anyone have some information /opinions / advice to share on available magicians' societies etc.?

I guess this is a very general post but I am generally thinking of things like
1. how many exist,
2. how helpful they are to those of us who are new to magic and want to learn,
3. cost of joining (fees etc)
4. any the pros and cons or personal experiences on how helpful they are
5. do they run courses?
6. How to contact them etc?

p/s I am from Malaysia so anything specific to this region would be extra helpful.

Thanks
Many Blessings!!

Paul
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
I can't help with the big associations, but I am a member of two local clubs, which are great! With local clubs, you really can't make generalizations. Every one will be different, so I urge you to investigate the one(s) you find near you. I learned about one of mine at my local magic shop, and the other from right here at the Café!

I will demonstrate the diversity of local clubs by describing the two I have joined as Club A and Club B.

Club A is very expensive in my book, but we have a video library to borrow from (at no charge--except a returnable deposit), plus membership gives us a 10% discount at the magic shop who sponsors us. And we get about 10 lecturers per year. A lot of very talented magicians are in this club and they are more than willing to teach and help the newer members to develop their art.

Club B has a much lower fee, more stringent membership requirements and has a maximum number of members written into the bylaws. We intentionally remain small and exclusive to maintain the close-knit feel of the club and avoid the development of "cliques." This club performs A LOT and is very involved in community events. Again, there are some very experienced professional magicians who teach and share ideas willingly.

Good luck!
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
There's a list here:
http://www.magicwebchannel.com/orgs.html

Try this too.
http://www.malaysiamagicfellowship.com/

A Google search for "malaysian magicians" will turn up some info.
paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
Thanks for your help.
I am aware of this one - they have just started but have no meetings etc.
http://www.malaysiamagicfellowship.com/

and also another one which have graciously invited me to one of their meetings.
http://www.themagicannexe.com/

I am exploring as many options as possible.

Thanks again for your advice and help guys!
Many Blessings!!

Paul
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
Try the International Brotherhood of Magicians, of course.
You have to give it away to keep it.
R.T.
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of R.T.
Is S.A.M. a good one to join?
Dark
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Dark
They vary from area to area, the best way is to find a S.A.M. assembly near you and go visit them during one of their meetings.
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Pros: You get to meet other magicians, attend lectures, companionship etc

Cons: The cost, they usually try and impose some kind of code on you, there may be restrictions on performing /fees etc, limitations on numbers of members etc. I think some of them try to act like Magicians Unions with all the restrictive practice that might entail.

The bottom line is you don't need them to enjoy Magic. However, some people feel better in a group, so it's up to the individual feelings.
paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
Thanks for all the advice.
Many Blessings!!

Paul
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
R.T: The S.A.M is a great society to join. I've been an active advocate and proud supporter of the organization for five years now. Wow, it's gone by so fast. Will I continue? You betcha! It's a great group of people, great conventions, and a good monthly magazine- with some very talented and nice writers (Cody Fisher/Hugh Turley.) Highly recommended!

Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
Just an update. I attended the Magic Annexe Meeting (magic club by invitation run by Anselm Roy)a few nights ago - it was fabulous. Go there at 8.00 PM and only left at about 1 AM.

I am going to make sure I make the grade and get to stay on .... Being part of a magic club where the members are serious about magic and want to help one another is going to take my magic up to a new level. That I am sure.

But for those who find ti hard to find such a group (like me in the past), this little experience may help.
Before this club, I get my live audience practice performing (a 5 minute thing only) weekly for a group of senior men whom I meet weekly (I teach a Bible class). They are mostly between ages 70s and 80s. They enjoy my magic and I get to try out ideas and short routines with them and they make comments on what works and what does not. This group of people (being seniors) is not interested in "revealing" secrets etc. and as this has been going on for almost a year now (and I have revealed some basic secrets), they have fun watching to see if they can catch me or figure out how a simple trick works. Helps a lot to keep me on my toes.

Additional bonus is that as seniors they are not the type to insist I tell them how a particular effect works (should I want to keep the secret as to reveal would spoil the wonder of the effect or fututre effects).

And one more other bonus is that is does bring a lot of fun into their lives. It helps keep their minds sharp too.
Many Blessings!!

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Info on Magician's Socities / Associations / Guilds? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL