The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Goshman Pinch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Tom Wolf
View Profile
Special user
Harrison, Ohio
577 Posts

Profile of Tom Wolf
Hi Werner,

You are absolutely correct! I forgot to mention that the size of the hands has a lot to do with it.

I have been doing it without using the thumb for over 35 years now and is very easy for me to do.

I use half dollars and can use silver dollars.

When I was younger, I used it as a vanish.

Show on right hand, apparently remove with left, vanish and at the same time move coin to classic palm.

Go forth and amaze.

Tom Wolf
The magic director and performer at the Rincon Gaucho supper club in Mexico City,

We opened the first and only close-up room for magic in Mexico with Wolf Ruvinskis.
have several new coin vanishes and routines to share shortly just as soon as I can find someone to film them for me.

Now living in Harrison, Ohio
Magius
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magius
You can pinch multiple coins? I can understand back palming multiple coins, but if you're pinching 3 half dollars, would there not be a huge gap between your little and ring finger? Sorry, I've never seen it done or mentioned before.
Neophyte.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I'm throwing in the towel ;( I'm depressed because I realized due to my small hands (short fingers) I will never be able to do Goshman Pinch, period. I really want to learn Jay's Mr. Clean Coins Across. I have been practicing for months and I still can't do it. There's simply no way that my little pinky finger will be able to hold the half dollar in place with the ring finger as it's too short!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-06-13 10:37, evolve629 wrote:
I'm throwing in the towel ;(

1) use quarters
2) take your time
3) NEVER GIVE UP!

Backclip is worth the effort when you have the right angles for using it. IE your audience is looking down at your hands.

4) also learn Edge Grip

Best to you

Jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
sugam
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
175 Posts

Profile of sugam
Quote:
On 2005-06-13 10:53, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
I'm throwing in the towel ;(

1) use quarters
2) take your time
3) NEVER GIVE UP!

Backclip is worth the effort when you have the right angles for using it. IE your audience is looking down at your hands.

4) also learn Edge Grip

Best to you

Jon

Yes, please don't give up! My hands may not be as small as yours, but initially I also thought I couldn't do the Tenkai/Goshman pinch because my pinky reaches up just halfway of the middle phalanx of my ring finger. All of a sudden one day it just worked... goes with practice. Good luck
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I have been practicing for a few months now and while I can't get it 100 per cent of the time yet, I am getting there. For me the breakthrough was realising that I can grip the coin best with the inner edge of the tip of the little finger. That is where the strongest muscles and the best control seem to be. Initially I wanted to grip the coin lower down the finger, because I thought it would reduce the chance of the coin flashing when I rotated the hand -- but I kept dropping it. It feels much more secure at the tip. Neither Sankey nor Ammar (the two DVDs I have that teach the sleight) really address this so I'd be interested to know if this is considered good practice.

It does seem to me that you have to work pretty close to the spectators, keep the hand low, and also be at the same height as them - i.e. it's hard to do it if they are seated and you are standing. Nor can I see how it could be done if you and spectators are sitting at a table.
Jolyon Jenkins
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-06-13 13:41, rjenkins wrote:..
It does seem to me that you have to work pretty close to the spectators, keep the hand low, and also be at the same height as them - i.e. it's hard to do it if they are seated and you are standing. Nor can I see how it could be done if you and spectators are sitting at a table.

Precisely the reasons I went and worked on Edge Grip. Also why Kainoa did as well. Pick up Coins on Edge for more about EG Mechanics. The EG2EG is in there. Smile
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Definitely on my wish list. I'm intrigued to know if/how you can have a coin in EG but nothing visibly held in the hand (the problem that famously prevents the last Roth hanging coin from disappearing). My curl palm is pretty unconvincing.
Jolyon Jenkins
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
I also had a hard time getting the Goshman pinch before but a little change in the positioning of the coin made me acheive a perfect pinch (at least for me). What I do is align the quarter on the knuckle of my ring finger then I clip it with my pinkie. It's perfect for me because first the coin is at an angle and not pointing straight down. Second, my pinkie is naturally beside my ring finger and not hidden or half-hidden behind it. And third, the edge of the coin being clipped is not flashing between the cracks of the pinkie and the ring finger.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-06-13 15:12, brianclementsvatua wrote:
I also had a hard time getting the Goshman pinch ...

Tenkai pinch.
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
I meant the Tenkai pinch. I appreciate the correction Jonathan. Smile
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Quote:
I'm throwing in the towel ;( I'm depressed because I realized due to my small hands (short fingers) I will never be able to do Goshman Pinch, period....

Well. I was a fanatic fan of Goshman in the 60's and I shamelessly imitated his work for a while. But, I can't do the Goshman/Tenkai Pinch either...my fingers are too skinny: Goshman had those nice fat fingers. But, I never do strolling magic and that is what the Pinch is good for: spectators standing and looking down at your hands.

We can't do everything...we each have to pick and choose what suits our physiology, our abilities, and our personality. Goshman told me that he could never do a classic pass. It didn't suit him.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Glenn,

I'd be surprised if your fingers were much skinnier than mine, and I've used the Tenkai Pinch to great advantage. Just allowing the pinky to dip slightly below the ring finger should be enough to conceal the edge of the coin from spectators, even if it remains visible to you.

If you don't have a need or desire to use Tenkai Pinch, then there's no reason to learn it. But you absolutely shouldn't feel like it's beyond your abilities.
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
daaaave
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of daaaave
Hi,

I was wondering if there are any Australian magicians who can tenkai pinch a 20c coin. I've been trying for a while and still the edge always seems to flash. Australian 20c coins are quite a bit thicker than quarters so I was wondering if it is actually possible.

Dave
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Thanks Jonathan and Glenn for empathizing with me. I actually don't do strolling magic so I guess it's ok for me to not get acquainted with Goshman Pinch. It's just that it's such an important technique that once learned and mastered, it's a gateway to coin magic heaven. I also learned that smaller coins are hard to pinch down but I haven't give Edge Grip a fair try, as Jonathan suggested. I thank Glenn for saying and affirming that we need to pick and choose what works for us best according to our attributes and personalities.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-06-14 14:13, evolve629 wrote:... It's just that it's such an important technique that once learned and mastered, it's a gateway to coin magic heaven. ...

Nope, like backpalm and Downs palm, just a place to hide coins. Coin heaven is a place you need to make for yourself.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
I'd like you to know, what made me to learn the Tenkai/Goshman pinch Smile

The very first time I saw Albert Goshman doing his stuff, in an unformal session, one thing stood out...and this was his one handed *colour*-changing coin, kind of *Spellbound with one hand*..

He just picked up a halfdollar from the table and threw it out again, with the same hand, palm up, and the coin changed to an english penny during the *throw*..
It was a thing of pure beauty..and I liked it immediately.

Much has been said about the Goshman-pinch, but for some reason I never had any problems with it, and this is NOT because I'm skillfull in any way...it somehow just did fit me.

What's even more funny is, that after NOT doing/using it for 20 years, I went right into doing it without any probs.

Of course it had to be smoothed out to get usable again, but it wasn't any hard work.

I did it for Jeff McBride not too long ago, and this was before I put a little practise into it and I also dropped the coin from the pinch one time, Smile Smile , but mind you, I took what was lying on the table and it was a (heavy) Silver$, so I well understood I dropped it, that was too much to try to achieve before applying any practise..
Using a half$ though, no probs...

Even if I messed it up, Jeff remarked *You must do a lot of practise* and he wasn't even kidding by that remark, and I didn't even invest in any practise at that time, I just did it, it was an informal event..

So my point is, this might be a move that suits *some* and probably not suits *others*..

TBH, I don't even recall it took me much time when I first learned it, but that goes so many years back, I honestly don't recall exactly.

Again, point is, when first learned to do it properly, it will stay with you forever, even when 20 years have passed!

Relearning it, for smooth handling, will be a piece of cake.

I also recall, a friend mentioned once -those 20 years back- *you do it so fastly*..and I never myself thought I did it too well at all.

Again, it might not suit all, but those who can master it after a little time of practise will have a beautifull move at their disposal...

Don't give up right away if you think that move is usefull and can be used in some routines, give it a fair chance..
I can only speak for myself, but it isn't really hard to learn..

There are other coinmoves I would have the greatest difficulties to learn, no doubt about that, whilst others might learn them very fast...
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
millarhouse
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
199 Posts

Profile of millarhouse
I like the Goshman Pinch, but I also find it a struggle to achieve 100% hiding of the coin between the pinch (From my point of view)

We all try and achieve a completely invisible coin between the fingers, but in reality (practice and performance) does anyone actually really achieve this every single time they place a coin into Goshman Pinch?

As long as the angles are right and the little finger is holding the coin by applying pressure from below against the ring finger, the spectator wont see any flashings, even though from the performers view point it is not completely hidden.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-06-15 04:32, millarhouse wrote:
I like the Goshman Pinch, but I also find it a struggle to achieve 100% hiding of the coin between the pinch (From my point of view)
Depending on the routine the pinch is used, it is only (the *hide*) visible to the specs for a fraction of a second.
In case of the one hand choin-change, it IS only for a fraction of a second in *display*, because the hand immediately does withdraw the coin from Goshman pinch into CP during the backwards swing of the hand.

The *forward* swing is to throw the coin out.

The palm up hand actually is resting for that split second at the edge of the table, as the coin is thrown out from a short distance -during a forwards swing- behind the table and the hand stops right at the tableedge,whilst the *new* coin pops off the hand..
It can of course be done right above/over the table with almost equally well result, but I prefer the first mentioned way of executing it.

The longest *display* probably is in view, when one is doing a version of the Tenkai-Pennies using the pinch, but normally here one does use smaller and lighter coins then halfdollars, so the pinch can get even more *natural* re the hands palm up position and the open palm display..
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
llsouder
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of llsouder
Quote:
On 2005-06-14 14:44, Werner G. Seitz wrote:

So my point is, this might be a move that suits *some* and probably not suits *others*..

I find that practice always brings me to a place I didn't think I get to... except with a my horrible coin walk!
Anyhow with enough practice a move will become second nature and then the suit will fit.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Goshman Pinch (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL