The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Chinese coins? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1542 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
I once read somewhere on the Café that the coins curtis kam uses (the feng shui) coins were available but can't remember where. Any other good places that has chinese coins for a reasonable price? All the help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Brian Morgan
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of Brian Morgan
Themagicianscoin.com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
http://www.startunzflutes.com/coins.html

A Google search for "Feng Shui Coins" turned up this and a few other sources.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1542 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Thanks guys. The coins on the startunzflutes.com web site are exactly what I'm looking for.

Bobby
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Thin ones are better then thick and make sure you get ones that have something intelligent written on them in Chinese. Usually they wish you luck etc. but I carried around a set for years from a magic dealer that had ITS A MAGIC TRICK written on them!

If your doing a coin on ribbon routine you might be interested to know that yuppy fenshui experts believe that three coins on piece of red ribbon hanging from the door brings money. The ribbon should be a mulitple of nine i.e. nine inches, 18 inches etc.

I use the line "Some people believe that three golden coins on a red ribbon hanging on your front door brings wealth. I tried it once and somebody stole them!...at least SOMEONE got wealthy from them"
info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
Ah ha~ what a "Coin on Ribbon Routine" , Johnson =).

You are right, for most cases a thinner Chinese Coin would be better, especially if you are using multiple of them.

Also, the characters written on them are supposed to be chinese characters. I've seen some really wierd characters, some even have the translation of "magic"... although most people will just treat those coins as props (there are no real chinese coins with plated with golden color, though they really look nice), it's better to have a "closer to real" chinese coin IMO.

As I'm living in HK, most of my audiences know chinese, it's rather embrassing if they see the word "magic" in my chinese coins...
It only takes a minute to learn how it is done, but takes a lifetime to learn how to do it.

You've got a coin?
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1952 Posts

Profile of iamslow
If you have a local chinatown, you could probably find them being sold at almost any store... they usually come all tied up together as door ornaments.... I picked up about 25 of them for about 8 bucks... then you just cut all the red string off....
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
MAJOR ditto on:
http://www.themagicianscoin.com

They are awesome, hold up well and are really easy to handle, and look great!!!

I got a shell set with 4 coins to perform CCC(shell was practically free when bought as set) and am very very happy with them.

So check out:
http://www.themagicianscoin.com

He also has Red ones in same design for some C/S transpo work, jumbo's, shells, sliding shells, nest, ect all for the same coin!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I hate to rain on this guy's parade, but those coins do not look at all like Chinese coins. They look like some kind of paperweight. I'm really sorry, but if you bring those out in front of an Asian audience, and say "This is a Chinese coin," they will say, "Nope! Not at all. They are some kind of phoney money."

It's not that difficult to copy an authentic Chinese coin. He could have gone to the trouble of doing that and come out with a much better product.

I live in the middle of Houston's "Chinatown West." I quit using the Sterling and Johnson coins a long time ago because of that problem. I'm now using a special coin that I got from a well-known coin gaffer. I don't call it a coin, but a "special medallion that was minted to celelbrate the Year of the Dragon."

And the milling is just another insult. That knurling is great for thumbscrews, but it stretches credibility to the breaking point. And now we have RED coins as well? Sorry, but I have to give these two thumbs down.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
I think Feng Shui coins are available at most flee markets. I got mine there.
They were from a decoration Chinese call lucky coins.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Quote:
I hate to rain on this guy's parade, but those coins do not look at all like Chinese coins. They look like some kind of paperweight. I'm really sorry, but if you bring those out in front of an Asian audience, and say "This is a Chinese coin," they will say, "Nope! Not at all. They are some kind of phoney money."

Well yes if your presentation hinges on the audience believing that you are using *AUTHENTIC* chinese coins then perhaps, but does it really?

However, *real* chinese coins don't even have holes, and are usually silver and not gold/black and don't have crazy designs but rather faces of politicians(I'm assuming that's who's faces are on there).

I mean, this is like railing against palming coins because they aren't *authentic* us money.

When you pull out coins, does it really make a difference if you are using barbers which you tell them are old half dollars(which they may or may not believe you) or pull out a stack of palming coins that even say "Magic Palming Coins" on them?

I think the point in coin magic is that objects travel, change and disappear/reappear magically, not that they are *authentic* coinage. Why do you think many coin routines also work with poker chips, fake coins, even small gems or anything small and easy to manipulate?

I mean, having Kennedy half dollars is nice, but honestly if we had fake silver coins, as long as they looked like normal coins(not gaffed in any way), would anyone care?

So I have to disagree and rain on your parade, because when you pull the coins out, they look nice and handle well, please the eye and will amaze your audience with the routines you use.

I'll agree that they might not be for *everyone*, but I fully believe that the Majority of magicians can be just as magical using palming coins over US dollars, and with these over some "authentic" feng shui coin which really isn't authentic.

I guess what I am trying to say is that each person is different and you shouldn't discount a great product like http://www.themagicianscoin.com just because it isn't authentic, because it doesn't need to be.

I mean a touch of realism is great, but it isn't everything, and I guarentee to *anyone* that says that you need realistic coins, there is someone out there that can amaze audiences more than yourself with plain washers or solid disk of silver.

So make up your own mind, but personally I've found that the magician's coin works great, looks great and amazes audiences plenty.

Hope no one takes this the wrong way, everyone's just different

-daegs
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
I totally agree with Daegs, it is not about the coins, it is about the magic you present to the audience.

I am a customer of http://www.themagicianscoin.com/pages/1/index.htm ,and I highly recomend those coins and also you can get the coins either thin or thick, just ask the owner how thin or thick you want them; I think the prices are very fair to my mind. also the owner is a great person he will get you exactly what you want, try him and you'll see.

Best Regards,
Mano T.
info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
While I respect the quest of "real coins", I agree with Daegs and Mano.

I've heard that even US people don't use half dollars or dollars nowadays. I've asked people lived in US for a long time and none of them have even seen half dollars. So my feeling is when you bring out the halves, US people will also suspect you coins.

This is even true in Chinese Community, and I can tell you this since I am living in it, and I am a Chinese. The fact is no one in chinese community uses chinese coins with a hole. You can only find those in souvenir shops or museums. So when you bring out chinese coins, anyone will think you are using strange coins.

Like Daegs said, you are doing magic for the people, there is no need to say they are genuine. You are not showing collection of coins to the collectors.

They want to see those "chinese coins"? let them do so. Those are not gimmick for CCC anyway~
It only takes a minute to learn how it is done, but takes a lifetime to learn how to do it.

You've got a coin?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I distinguish "coins" from "money".

The Chinese coin type used for the most part is not "money" per se but "commemorative coin" pressed when a new emperor took control of the empire. Money has denomination, while the commemoratives have designs like the dragon/Phoenix. There are actual coins, both money and commemorative available to those who with to use such things. The trick in Bobo's where a coin takes on different shapes comes to mind, and thanks to ebaY, the Sword, Spade and Oval coins are readily available.

Not so sure it is "clever" to take coins off a ribbon. The tradition is to offer a decorated ribbon as a sort of "money attractor" to newly opened businesses, in much the same way as some folks put the first dollar earned on the wall. I've posted on this this routine elsewhere on the café including some ideas for how to present the routine in more positive context.

BTW, the "peeking" line is not cute. About as cute as turning a half crown into an English Penney pretending to take off the Silver plating, or a 'Lenny Henry' eye view. It helps to know the culture which generated the artifact. Such knowledge can also lead to better presentations. For example in the CCC trick, consider what it would mean to extract the coins from someone's string.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
Well,it may not be clever to take coins off a ribbon: but it is really a trick to entertain people without offending anyone whatsoever.

And I guess in any case I am safe, because the way I do CCC, I take all the coins off the ribbon, but then I put them all back in the ribbon, as I said in another thread.

Best Regards,
Mano T.
Buddy_815
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Buddy_815
While I don't think the fact that coins are real makes or breaks a routine, I do have to say that I do not like the coins on magicianscoin.com. I think they are some of the lowest budget, unatractive "coins" I have seen. Granted I have never seen one in person, but with that said, I don't ever wish to. Of course practically the same magic and techniques can be done with other small objects. So if you are going to use such abvious fake coins, why not use another small object instead. Just my opinion. I would not buy them, but that does not mean that they are not great for the people who have. Oh yeah, I also think the milling is very lame. I understand the point, but it is really just overkill and not very nice looking. They look very thick to me. But like I said, to each their own. Just my opinion.

-Buddy
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2005-06-20 23:53, Bill Palmer wrote:
I hate to rain on this guy's parade, but those coins do not look at all like Chinese coins.

That's pretty obvious concidering John made the designs on the coins himself.
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
Everybody is right,everybody is wrong, to each his on.

best regards.
Mano T.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
You are arguing about coins when the real argument should be about magic. The reason for using genuine coins is, or should be, to lend the presentation a certain verisimilitude that is otherwise missing. Your presentation will determine whether or not you can use "unreal" coins. IF you want to tell your audience that the coins you are using are "genuine authentic fake chinese coins" made up specially for the magic trick you are about to do, then that tongue-in-cheek presentation may allow you to get away with using fake chinese money. If on the other hand, you wnat to lend some credence to a story about foriegn currency, then it behooves you to use real coins. The obviously fake chinese money jars the audience' senses, and disrupts the presentation. Think of it like this: you are watching a movie set in the 1950's, and suddenly one of the characters jumps into a 1975 Mustang! It is so out of place in the setting that all you can think of is that they really got it wrong. This lack of attention to detail takes you out of the fantasy, it disrupts your focus and ruins the movie for you. Suddenly the fantasy is shot. The same thing happens when you tell your audience one thing, but show them another...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Chinese coins? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL