The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnotists You MUST Read This FYI (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 16 years to make
999 Posts

Profile of kcalB
So much for telling anyone that they will not do anything against their will or morals and so on and so forth.

I'm not very concerned about this from a stage point of view BUT with regards to my clinical practice I am concerned,.... the precedent case has now been set and the bar has been lowered.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.......09990002

This post really will be lost here,..and so this is another reason why I petitioned without any luck for a seperate category for hypnosis,..therefore if you are a hypnotist please visit the category "I want to see the manager" and chime in on my posting.
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Sebastian, many of the hynotherapy bodies posted this clip on their members boards all last week all around Britain.
Scary stuff!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I think it was Bandler who first pointed out the subliminal message the very title gives people, hypnotherapist i.e hypno the rapist.

It is unfortunate that in all walks of life there are bad people and that is life. As I understand it, there are (at least in the UK) to be stricter guidelines around professional alternative therapists being members of governing bodies.

Although that has (and always was) in the pipeline I wonder how many charlatans it truly will stop. After all, anyone can set up a governing body....
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
To those of you who are well versed in hypnosis, do you think that it's possible that hynotists can coerce someone to do something against their will? I've seen other posts here that suggest that it's impossible to do such a thing.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Bandler coined the term: "psycho the rapist". Meaning Psychotherapists. It didn't have a sexual connotation but refered to the techiniques and methods used by many traditional psychotherapists. These techniques tend to be intrusive and keep the problem in place if not make it worse.

There has been cases before of hypnotherapists or psychotherapists being caught sexually assualting clients. There was even one in Edinburgh a quite few years back. Although it wasn't publicised to a high degree. Im not sure if it went to court I can't remember.

I believe it is possible for some people to accept suggestions that would normally be against what they would do. They are not doing anything against their will because their will has been subdued.

Shrink

Many stage hypnotists know this but will continue along the lines of "I can't make anyone do anything against their will" because other wise they would get no volunteers. But in many cases this just isn't true.

Shrink
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Mr.Black...

I dated a gal whom had that happen to her, but the doctor druged her instead of using hypnosis. He did it when he was giving her a Epidural for pain due to a traffic accident.

This perv was a medical doctor of high standing in his field. So people have to remember that it's not "hypnosis" that's evil...it's the sick minded operator on a power, control and ego trip, these people who like to prey on the helpless and play god with their "you are mine to do with as I please" attitude.

They should have given that dick 10 years...that article really upset me.

Hypnosis is a very useful tool...as is a firearm...if both are handled properly they are safe...in sick hands, it's the end of the world for some.

~Rick~
A l a i n B e ll o n
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of A l a i n B e ll o n
A person under hypnotic trance, or any other type of enhanced sugestibility state will do as much as her belief system will allow.

When a suggested action is not something that the person would do in a normal awake state, then the person weights her belief on the suggestion against her willingness to do it.

If she beleives that it is possible that the hypnotist can make her do the action, and that belief is stronger than her unwillingness to do it, then then she may do it. Two beliefs are contraposed, the stronger one wins.

Example:

B1 "I should not steal"
vs.
B2 "The hypnotist can possibly make me steal against my will"

The advantage that B2 has over B1, is that the person may rationalize that it is ok to steal because "I am not really doing it, I am being forced". This is more prone to happen when the suggested action is bound by guilt. The fact that the hypnotist is using his "powers" to make a person do something, liberates that person from the guilt that would prevent her from doing it in the first place. In other words, the mere suggestion serves as an uninhibitor (as can be seen in almost every hypnosis show). This has much relevance to suggestions of sexual nature, where inhibitions and guilt are the prime deterrants of open sexual behavior.
Richard Busch
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh, PA - USA
105 Posts

Profile of Richard Busch
This is very disturbing indeed. The initial problem is compounded because one doesn't know what a person will do and then later fall back on the myth of hypnotic domination as an excuse. The courts and juries tend to treat "hypnosis" as a loaded gun. Further misconception is promoted. It's a terrible thing all the way around.
Richard Busch
<BR>www.RichardBusch.com
<BR>RichardBusch@RichardBusch.com
www.TheMindFocuser.com
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
How is it that he got of so easy? That article also P***** me off. I don't even do hypnosis, but the fact that he got of with a slap on the wrist makes my stomach turn.
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 16 years to make
999 Posts

Profile of kcalB
This is just the type of incident I wanted to avoid when I designed the office that I see clients in.
I have Glass French Doors without curtains leading into the office and directly in view of the office opposite the glass doors I have a seating area with an unobstructed view of the whole inner office.
And I always insist that females are acompanied by someone.

I want to thank everyone for the input thus far and stress the point that we do need a seperate category for hypnosis.
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver- Canada
960 Posts

Profile of A.G.
Sebastian,
I agree that a seperate section for hypnosis would be great.Too much miss information going on.
I work as a hypnotist.

Cheers Gerard
Well then...
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I believe both are equally guilty! I can't imagine anyone being that deeply under anothers influence, imagine their psychological state. Worse yet, imagine the hypnotists.
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
I don't know Sebastian,

A section just for guys who can entertian with out props on a list for magicians?

Who would click the banner adds?

Cheers

Jack
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Well Jack,

Due to the original subject on this topic, I guess that a lot of lawyers will we willing to put a banner on that forum.

;-)
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Ha, good one Enriqueenriquez

Have a good evening.

Best Wishes

Jack
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Mr.Black...you are a smart man with your ways of thinking as far as your office lay out goes.Too many people have tried to make a fast buck by claiming untrue accusations against the Hypnotist. I always insisted on a friend coming along with the person to be put under, be it a male or female.

Mr. Busch, I also agree with you, sir...too many people today in the 21st. century, still have the 1950's B-movie attitude of hypnosis being a spell anyone can fall into and be a victim of. It's just plain ignorance on the part of society.

At the begining of all my shows, I make a point to stress that the volunteers are at all times, in complete control of their actions with no after effects other than a good nights sleep.

~Rick~
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-03-06 19:01, chichi711 wrote:
How is it that he got of so easy? That article also P***** me off. I don't even do hypnosis, but the fact that he got of with a slap on the wrist makes my stomach turn.

He did get it light, but assure you that once the guys where he is going find out, they will rip him apart (literally).

But yes. It is a disgrace. And as Mr. Busch said "A disgrace".
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Quote:
On 2005-03-06 17:15, shrink wrote:
Bandler coined the term: "psycho the rapist". Meaning Psychotherapists. It didn't have a sexual connotation but refered to the techiniques and methods used by many traditional psychotherapists. These techniques tend to be intrusive and keep the problem in place if not make it worse.

Which techniques? Do you mean that psychotherapy techniques in general are intrusive, don't help the problem and may make it worse?

Quote:
On 2005-03-06 20:11, Scott Xavier wrote:
I believe both are equally guilty! I can't imagine anyone being that deeply under anothers influence, imagine their psychological state. Worse yet, imagine the hypnotists.

By both do you mean the hynotist and the alleged victims? Are you suggesting that the patients consciously consented to sex and then lied about being under a spell?

Quote:
On 2005-03-06 18:33, Richard Busch wrote:
This is very disturbing indeed. The initial problem is compounded because one doesn't know what a person will do and then later fall back on the myth of hypnotic domination as an excuse. The courts and juries tend to treat "hypnosis" as a loaded gun. Further misconception is promoted. It's a terrible thing all the way around.

Do you think that it's unlikely that the patents could have been coerced into sex via hynosis, or impossible? What exactly is the misconception?
delbmarcs
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of delbmarcs
Psychetherapy
The thing about doing the impossible is that you've got no competition.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Jimtron, I believe many have danced around the issue on this board enough.
1. Yes there is something to Hypnosis.
2. I HAVE NEVER seen anyone under in such a state to perform anything immoral or indecent to this degree.
3. Lets face it for the most part hypnosis is the audiences's WILLINGness to play the part of the entertainer.
4. Why do those initial hypnotic tests weed out soooo many of us? We aren't willing participants. The only one's willing to to perform such an indecent act would either be those who in some way wanted to do it, or the other are those who who were scared and intimidated to perform such acts.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a certified hypnotherapist. However, I have performed hypnosis quite a few time. I do realize this post may sound arrogant so if it offends, I am sorry. Perhaps some one a little more qualified can shed some more light and help verify some of my above expressed points. -Thank You
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnotists You MUST Read This FYI (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL