The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Instant Stooge??? Resources (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
scheda
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago, IL
287 Posts

Profile of scheda
There is an effect on Kenton's Wonder Words that uses one, and it intrigued me and I would like to know of another good resource of learning about this type of thing. Anything is appreciated.

Smile
Coming soon... Who knows!
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
Corinda's 13 Steps has a few instant stooge effects.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
scheda
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago, IL
287 Posts

Profile of scheda
I have been meaning to get that book, never have enough money though, need to find a job Smile Oh well. I'll look on ebay or sumthin.

Smile
Coming soon... Who knows!
promethee
View Profile
Regular user
France
125 Posts

Profile of promethee
Watching Derren's Brown lecture or live show (I guess) could be a good idea... Only demonstration, but a good resource if we think about it.
La fleur de l'illusion produit le fruit de la realite.
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Mind, Myth & Magic... studying some of the old show notes and tapes of the "Masters" (Annemann, Dunninger, Kreskin... )

Trust me... there's far too much out there!

Albeit my opinion... but if you are going to do "Mentalism" vs. "Mental Magic" STOP THINKING LIKE A MAGICIAN and do material that doesn't leave footprints in the sand and proves you're a fake... make them wonder! Your a MAGICIAN, not a game master or the Riddler!

Oh! Do keep in mind, I've used this method a few times. I just happen to loathe it and personally see that the only time it is genuinely "effective" and possibly "needed" is as a PR stunt... when you really need to blow someone's mind and get certain reactions or results.

I have a great "Card Trick" I picked up from Ted Lesley ages ago that uses an Insta-stooge... paid $35.00 for it (or something along those lines) and have used it twice in about 6 years time for reasons noted. Thus, the moral of the tale is learn the techniques and routines that use it, but don't make it a habit... less is always more when it comes to this part of the craft

Best of luck!
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Yaniv Deautsch
View Profile
Special user
Israel
529 Posts

Profile of Yaniv Deautsch
promethee,
Derren Brown's lecture has nothing to do with the Instant Stooge principle.
But, I can understand why you think there is.

Yaniv Deautsch
promethee
View Profile
Regular user
France
125 Posts

Profile of promethee
Smile

I don't see what it can be else: lift, reminiscence and others are, for me, instant stooges effects, even if there is some double talk involved.
La fleur de l'illusion produit le fruit de la realite.
Yaniv Deautsch
View Profile
Special user
Israel
529 Posts

I really don't want to get into this, so this is the last thing I will say on the subject. May I use one of Sherlock Holmes's most famous quotes: "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
Do you really think you did that?

Yaniv Deautsch
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
The booklet "Simplicity, Audacity, and Bluff" by Val Andrews has some intriguing instant-stooge effects (including one used by Al Koran).
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
Codex Reader
View Profile
New user
TX
69 Posts

Profile of Codex Reader
Ditto Darmoe!

I think it hurts our craft to do this unless you are more of a cups and balls magician working in venue.
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Hi, for thoses of you interested in this booklet "Simplicity, Audacity, and Bluff" by Val Andrews

I will sell it for 25$ US, shipping included....

I prefer Paypal payments...

Let me know

KUFFS
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Hi fellow mentalists:
The "Instant Stooge Principle" is a very good one indeed..........BUT you can do much better! Look into your copy of the T.A. Waters book and read "AUTOMANTICARD" and you know, what I mean. In this trick, sorry, "experiment" the spectator on stage has no idea, how he did the "mindreading".

If you work in front of an audience, who everybody knows everybody AVOID DOING A SINGLE TRICK USING A STOOGE! Why? The people talk to each other and tell their colleguas later, how the "miracle" of the "mindreader" was accomplished and this is not good for your reputation!!!! In front of an audience of people, who see each other the first time, the principle CAN work MOST OF THE TIME.....BUT NOT EVERYTIME!
I can tell you, that I like to perform the "card-trick" as mentioned by our member Darmoe, but only under the right circumstances.

Presently I am working on a principle, which was only used by a few professional mentalists. I know of two only: Larry Becker and Dr. Carlyle. With this system you make a spectator to an "instant stooge" as well, but he or she HAS NOT THE SLIGHTEST IDEA, HOW IT WAS DONE!!! So the assisting spectator can`t tell anything to the audience! The principle is sure fire and you can use it for a lot of effects: Booktests, Predictions etc. Believe me, it´s a "killer" and nearly works itself.

The principle behind it all isn`t well known amongst mentalists. I am working on it since umpteen years until I found accidentally the last bit to make it perfect. I tried it out a couple of times during my engagement in Berlin`s posh revue-theater "La Vie En Rose" and it was a "Stunner" (Sorry Mr. Becker).

A master of the "Instant Stooge Principle" is the French magician DOMINIQUE. He performs occasionally in the world famous "LIDO" in Paris. He does a pickpocket routine and the "Hot Chairs" and he steals not one item! It´s all bluff! In the "Lido" he can do this, because the audience changes at every show. Dominique is a real showman and a GREAT entertainer.

ESPecially and MAGICally Yours

TED LESLEY
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
Larry Becker
View Profile
V.I.P.
241 Posts

Profile of Larry Becker
I have spoken to Ted and his idea is a sensational adaptation of a unique and obscure principle. If he ever decides to share it, you'll love the audacity of it. Clever! Clever! Clever!
Visit our website: www.MentalismUnlimited.com
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Thank you for the compliment Larry!

TED
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
DarkKnight
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of DarkKnight
Quote:
On 2002-09-28 03:47, Yaniv Deautsch wrote:
promethee,
Derren Brown's lecture has nothing to do with the Instant Stooge principle.
But, I can understand why you think there is.

Yaniv Deautsch

This should be one of the golden rules of mentalism 'Don't believe Derren's BS !'. He makes quite a lot of use of instant stooges, pre-show etc.
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
Quote:
On 2002-10-15 05:52, DarkKnight wrote:
This should be one of the golden rules of mentalism 'Don't believe Derren's BS !'. He makes quite a lot of use of instant stooges, pre-show etc.

Good advice, and probably very true about Derren. But I don't think a person should be considered and 'instant stooge' unless he or she knows about or understands his role in the deception. By this standard, neither Lift nor Reminiscience qualify as instant stooge effects.

--Christopher Carter
Yaniv Deautsch
View Profile
Special user
Israel
529 Posts

Well,i see no reason in using "Instant Stooge" in Lift or Reminiscence.
That's why I don't think he use this principle.

Yaniv Deautsch
Shimi
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
107 Posts

Profile of Shimi
What books do I need to read to understand that there is no need to use a stooge in Lift or Reminiscence

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Mark Hogan
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of Mark Hogan
Looking forward To Teds effect sounds very clever.

AS for reminisance and lif its a very clever stooge effect using linguistic deception, my only problem wuth them

A: Unsuitable for a small venue/private party where the volinteer may be questioned later

B: If they have seen the effect performed before, they may react to the gaff ie reminisance

Marc Smile
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Quote:
On 2002-10-15 11:38, Shimi wrote:
What book does Christoper Carter need to read to understand that there is no need to use a stooge in Lift or Reminiscence

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Chris Carter said that it was NOT an instant stogge in those effects. Rather than suggesting that he read various books to know that perhaps you should just read better before jumping on one of the most knowledgable mentalists present here in the Café!!!!!
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/abstagecraft
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Instant Stooge??? Resources (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL