The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » My second act before a real audience (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lileauxjouets
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of lileauxjouets
Greetings at all. I'm William from France. I do magic like a hobbyst. Only one year ago. Saturday, I'll present my second act in public.
After seeking myself about my character, my actual abilities and what I'm yearning for, I think that mentalism is convenient for me.
My act (adapted to that venue ) is :
I'll start off like a lecturer about general magic
- ... there are magicians who makes assistant levitate, others who make things disappear and magicians who make things appear... and at that very moment, a Fantasio cane will appear in my right hand whilst the left hand is up stressing my words.
- then, I'll talk about the sixth sense which we all have inside us (I don't want to debate about it, it's only a matter of patter to be consistent with the next effect). This next effect is The Book Test from The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy. I've made my own paperback books.
- As a climax for ending my act, I've bought Richard Osterlind's Stainless Steel Blindfold that I'll use with bandages.
The problem is that the Fantasio cane is noisy. And so my idea is to say :
-It's noisy but always spectacular-
I can't find any means to deaden the sound.
In this way, I reinforce the mentalism effects but I'm running down those who uses The appearing cane.
Has anyone any suggestions to deaden the sound of the Fantasio cane ? grease perhaps ?
Thanks
William
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Welcome to the Magic Café!!. I would just get rid of the cane altogether, but that's just me.
Self concept is destiny..
Menetekel
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Menetekel
Why not substitute the cane with a glove to dove production?: the flaming gloves are really reinforcing you mentalism act. Or better yet: why you don't end your show with the zig-zag girl? this will surely help to make you mentalism more believable: yes sir!
D.Paul
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of D.Paul
I think it would be a bit confusing to produce a cane then go on to read peoples minds, why produce a cane ?
carldourish
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of carldourish
Totally agree, WHY THE CANE IN THE FIRST PLACE?
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I guess he wants to show that magicians let something "appear" from thin air. But there are other things to produce....

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
William,

I’m not familiar with the workings of the cane but, are you sure yours works perfectly? Have you tried another one?

If there is no way to eliminate the sound in the cane’s working, try to camouflage the noise with a sound: a word you say, a tap with your shoe in the floor. Whatever feels natural for you.

Oh, and... William, you may have noticed by now that mentalist doesn’t like magic canes, nor anything that looks like a magic prop. They believe that any relationship with the dirty word (Magic, I mean), reduces credibility to their performing character. That will be a point that you may like to consider if you attempt to perform this for mentalists. Otherwise you will do fine.
lileauxjouets
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of lileauxjouets
First of all, I thank all of you for your attention. I have read your posts and comments for a few months and now, I know that magic community or magic fraternity really exist.
From now on, I shall not think any more that it's an ad (Just kidding).
I'm the proprietor of a little toyshop in Normandy and I am asked sometimes to perform for schools (it was my first act before a real audience). So, I have bought some props for this intent.
I'm 45 years old.
To define my character, I took four abstract ideas (from Luhrmann and Pearce's 'Moulin Rouge') :
- Beauty
It's not a matter of physique (I am more like Ziegler than Christian). Magic is an art and there are masters and amateurs. I'm a humble amateur and I don't want to ruin the inherent beauty of the appearing cane. So my trouble about the sound of the Fantasio cane.
I'm totally agree with MindPhantom, Menetekel, D.Paul and Carldourish from Magic Café. It was a mistake to use the cane in a mentalism act to resolve what is just a matter of presentation.
So I reserve it for my Children shows. And I make a note of the advices from Gord (alt.magic) and Enrique Enriquez (Magic Café).
- Freedom
It's why I do mentalism. Perhaps, I'm wrong about Freedom : is it only a pipe dream ?
Children shows are useful for the shop's publicity but don't serve what I am yearnig for about freedom.
For the moment, I can't say the reasons why I feel that mentalism helps me to feel the effects of freedom.
But the fact is that it does.
With the posts of The Magician (alt.magic), Enrique Enriquez from Magic Café and Bruce(who sends me a private message), I have acknowledged the difference between Magic and Mentalism.
- Truth
Bruce writes : - Once you do The appearing cane, you state ... I use tricks, I deceive you... -
Bruce continues : - A mentalist would never do this. A magician doing Mental magic would. -
I agree.
Magixx from Magic Café has understood what I was intended to do with the cane. I was in the wrong way.
I don't want to fool people (I don't care of my ego), I just wish to entertain them.
- Love
To trust anyone, To respect anyome, Fraternity : all of these words are synonymous with love for me in this context I want to do mentalism honestly : I don't confuse tricks and technique anymore.
William
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Hi William and welcome to the Magic Café. It looks like you're in the right direction. Mr.Osterlind offers some world class material for Mentalists from beginners to season pros. You'll never go wrong with his material.

Being who I am ( a die hard billet worker), may I suggest a basic billet routine as well ? It's strong material and every show is different.

~Rick~
lileauxjouets
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of lileauxjouets
Rick,
I thank you very much for your post. I have read the thread about "The perfect Center Tear" a few days ago.
Then, I have re-read the Anneman's Billets workings from Practical Mental Magic and simultaneously,
read the Corinda's version of the center tear from Thirteen steps and I'm planning to order from Hank Lee the Osterlind's Perfected Center Tear.
I think that I'm going to have a lot of hard work to practice.
William
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Mr.Osterlind has some excellent billet material from what I hear and read on the net, he'll never stear you wrong.

~Rick~
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » My second act before a real audience (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL