The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Jim Sommer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22046 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Jim Sommers is a great person, but when I tried to contact him by telelphone, he would never answer the phone or return my calls. Thus I never got to purchase any of his illusions.

If you want anything from Jim Sommers, you will have to purchase them through Klamm Magic. Just do a yahoo search. It comes up every time for me.

My wife was the lady in the controversial Zig-Zag in 1969 at the Hollywood Calvalcade of Magic in Los Angeles. His assistant did not come with him then so at the last minute my wife was asked to assist and the picks were in the newspaper.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
Quote:
On 2005-09-02 20:32, magicfest wrote:
How do I contact JIm Sommers, does he have a website ?
How is his imaplement

I have seen his impalement up close and I can say that it is not the best looking and according to this very well know illusion builder who was repairing it, it does not work all that good. But, he said it is worth the money you pay since his start at $7500. The sword could be made to look better and his harness is not all that great. I own a Bill Smith version and you can definately see the difference. Just my opinion, but it is good I think if you are looking for a deal on one.
Corrupting the art of magic, one show at a time
www.underworldent.com
www.myspace.com/johnshawcomedymagic
magicgraham
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa Arizona
138 Posts

Profile of magicgraham
I have Jims Shadow box and guillotine and just recently acquired a fire cage he made, his stuff is practical packs small and looks good. I have used them for many shows and they still are in great condition
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
I spoke to Jim 2 days ago things are slow now because his wife is in the hospital (prays to her and him) I purchased illusion from him such as my crystal casket and a few others and you get what you pay for I am happy with them. Jim is a very excellent source when it comes to illusion building and shows, I think he's a great guy and I speakto him on the regular.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Jim Sommers is a great guy,, no he is AWESOME.... Great source for show ideas and he does build stuff that flats pack... Yes, he is a busy man,,,, and it is hard to get intouch with him... I just keep calling until he answers his phone. Old fashion guy no email, fax or credit card.... He helped me with a few illusions that I needed ASAP.... and built my clock timer.... Just send him payment and you have his attention and he will build things over night if needed..... Prices are nice and he will hepl you with your show ideas
magicgraham
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa Arizona
138 Posts

Profile of magicgraham
He has a great soft style case he packs his illusions in anyone know if he makes them ? Or can I source them from somewhere I have a couple of smaller props I need some for
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
This is an interesting thread to read. Glad that Jim is still building illusions.

Back in 1979 I purchased a Thin Sawing & MisMade Girl from him. The mismade girl held up better than the thin sawing. The thin saw legs weren't anchored well, and we were on a slightly rough surface and had a middle leg break. I had it repaired and sold it off as soon as I could. The props looked good enough, photographed well, but as has already been said are not made for regular trooping. In the end, they are made for the part-timer who might use them a couple off times per year.
magicgraham
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa Arizona
138 Posts

Profile of magicgraham
For anyone interested there is a slightly used Jim Summers shadow box for sale here in Arizona at a great price , comes with the cases and is basicly brand new. I have the exact one and have used in excess of 150 times and have been very happy with it, contact me at magicgraham@hotmail.com for details if interested
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
It appears that Jim makes some nice illusions, but I do have one question. With all the buzz here about "rip offs", Intellectual Property and stealing others creations, I just wanted to know why this doesn't seem to apply to the effect by Jim Sommers called "Thru & Thru".
Isn't this effect "Interlude" with another name? How can members here destroy others for "rip offs" and disregard some of Jims questionable products??
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22046 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2005-09-12 13:58, Beaudini Magic wrote:
It appears that Jim makes some nice illusions, but I do have one question. With all the buzz here about "rip offs", Intellectual Property and stealing others creations, I just wanted to know why this doesn't seem to apply to the effect by Jim Sommers called "Thru & Thru".
Isn't this effect "Interlude" with another name? How can members here destroy others for "rip offs" and disregard some of Jims questionable products??

Mr. Summers illusions are totally different in construction then any of the originals. He makes his illusions out of light weight materials and makes them to break-down very small. No other illusion maker would do what Mr. Summers does. Therefore, a need is filled and products sold.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
So let me see if I follow your line of thinking:
As long as you build a prop that was created by someone else, but you use "light weight materials and make them to break down", there is no issue of Intellectual property, rip-offs,"stealing".....all of the terms that have been used here by passionate magicians to describe those who don't recognize Intellectual property???
Someone jump in here and please explain the thinking behind the post made by the above.

Jack
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
Hey Jack,

I cannot follow the thinking behind that statement. I wonder what Mr. Steinmeyer would say if you ran that idea by him. I could make an interlude out of balsa wood, and duct tape, would that be fine by its creator? I think not. Also, with regards to "a need for the product...and the product to be sold"... I would love to purchase a light weight version of Oragami for $1,500.00, but that is not reality. If I were to do that, I would most certainly be persecuted here on the Café. Just my thoughts.

Respectfully,

Beau Alexander
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I'm always intrigued by how magicians apparently think that we need to abide by different standards than the rest of the world. Yes, Jack, to a certain degree, I think that if someone can create a better mousetrap, they ought to be able to market it. If being lighter and able to break down is perceived as "better", perhaps it isn't "ripping off."

Outside of magic, very few inventions remain the sole property of the inventor. Patents expire. A few changes (whether they are perceived as improvements or not) are often all it takes to be legally recognized as a new product. I think it was intentionally set up that way to promote commerce and the continued improvement of inventions.

I respect a magic inventor's creations and their right to profit from them. But there also should be room for improving upon these creations in order to keep magic moving forward.
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
So anyone can build any Illusion designed by anyone and sell it as "their own" as long as it is built to break down, and uses lighter/different materials?

I'm just wondering if you can get others to agree with this thinking. The posts here have been VERY protective of designers like Steinmeyer, and of course DC. The illusion in question....is "Interlude" and Mr. Sommers "Thur & Thru" the "same"
I know Magic Auction won't list Thru & Thru.
Just like to see more FB on this.

Jack
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I wonder question if it is an effort to improve things or simply to profit off the genius of some one else's idea.

Horace Marshall years ago came up with the significant improvement on the color changing plumes that now is almost standard in every rip off set out there. When the imports started from India in the 1960's (yes even then), he tried to get the federal trade commission to intervene to no avail. He even had Ed Mishell involved on it.

Sure patents expire but in this small business if you want to continue to see ideas from guys like Jim Steinmeyer be brought forward, this theft and piggybacking on others ideas has got to stop.

This is why the big working pros pay top dollar for exclusive use of an idea.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Now you're putting words into my mouth, Jack. I didn't say anyone can, or should, start making them as their own. I used some qualifiers such as "perhaps," and simply suggested that there should be room for improvements.

There is no black-and-white in this arena. Who's to say what number of changes, or how many, exactly qualify as different enough to make something "different"? Is Blaney's suspension different enough from Gwynn's? Is "Modern Art" different enough from "Zig Zag"? Is Andrew Mayne's "Shrink Boy" different enough from Dan Summer's similar illusion (was that called "Compressed"?) How about "Tricky Bottles" vs. "Topsy Turvey Bottles"; I think the only difference there is one's made from cardboard -- and you can add to that mix the version Abbott's had with the mechanical tin bottle.

As for intentionally buying "rip offs", part of the fault lies with our industry's lack of adequate manufacturing methods. Someone addressed it in another forum quite clearly, but the upshot was that *every* illusion is essentially a prototype and that's why it costs so much. Let's face it, the only reason someone buys a "rip off" is to save money. If someone can go to a local carpenter and get a quality prop built for 1/3 the cost, that tells me that the illusion builder is either A) charging too much, or B) an ineffective builder.

I take that back -- there is another reason someone might buy from a "rip off" builder: it's the only place to get what they want, such as a prop that breaks down, is lighter, or build better. Which again puts the problem back into the lap of the designer and "Official" builders. Build a better mousetrap ...
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
EVERY one of the props I build have my exclusine "No-bolt" assembly process, and I don't use steel unless the customer requests it. I use lighter aluminum or wood, so your argument doesn't apply to me.

Jack
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Jack, I'm not trying to categorize builders, nor was my intention to direct anything at all to you or your products. I was just giving an example. I've never seen one of your props, but I'll assume that a lightweight/no-bolt prop would be very attractive to many illusionists. Everyone has personal preferences and needs -- that's why we have vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry. I just think it's being shortsighted to assume that one single builder is the only one doing a particular prop the "right" way, thereby eliminating all the other ideas, choices, and options by applying the blanket statement of "rip off."
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On 2005-09-14 09:54, Jack Murray wrote:
So let me see if I follow your line of thinking:
As long as you build a prop that was created by someone else, but you use "light weight materials and make them to break down", there is no issue of Intellectual property, rip-offs,"stealing"

I don't know, Jack. I happen to know a guy for whom you built an Origami. Was that stealing?
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
If I am not mistaken thru and thru illusion of Sommers is based on a slightly different method then the creators...

Sommers is the master of building things light and easy shippable...

To answer another poster question... Sommers has a case company that builds those “soft” cases...

Plus, anyone is allowed to build make, create anything that they desire for themselves... As long as it is not for resell. IE one could make a BMW as long as they do not massively market, produce and sell it….

One would be surprised what is actually copy righted in the magic industry…. Lots of “rumors” and very little fact. Look up the US copy patent and see what is actually listed…. SO get your hammer and saws out boys……..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Jim Sommer (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL