The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Scary Dark Rides (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There is a book out there about those scary Dark Rides at the parks, carnivals and fairs. It's good reading and from a member of The Magic Café. Give it a shot. It's even free on screen!

Scary Dark Rides explains a lot of life’s essence. It’s planning to face the freighting unknown with questionable courage, surviving and going for it again. Doug Higley’s book puts it in a nutshell but includes the details. As a baby-boomer I well remember climbing into the cars of those enclosed rides through socially acceptable terror. (Just as planned!) Doug’s book included the most complete information on the creators, entrepreneurs, names and locations of these attractions I have ever seen. As a youngster, I never recognized what an industry scary dark rides had grown to be. A few still exists but many more are long gone. Doug’s book Scary Dark Rides does an exciting job of bringing back the images and emotions we experienced from the seats of those moving cars. We miss them.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Excellent read. Thank You Doug for bringing back some very fond memories of my youth Smile .
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
scottasf
View Profile
Regular user
san leandro, ca
157 Posts

Profile of scottasf
I picked up a DVD historical on the 50s midnight spook shows and one segment was a ride through one of the old dark rides someone had filmed way back then. I believe the disk is called Monsters haunt the pajama party.

It had loads of stuff on it from a couple of really bad movies to a montage of posters and other stuff.

Scott
2008/2009 President Oakland Magic Circle

"Life would be so wonderful if we only knew what to do with it." - Greta Garbo
Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Grimm
I've amused myself on several evenings by watching a short little VHS titled Creepy Classics, it's about the old and generally very bad horror films of the thirties forties and fifties. It's hosted by Vincent Price and inlcudes segments of Films like The Raven, Day of the Triffids and so forth. Somehow Scary Dark Rides (which I loved by the way) reminded me of this. I think I'll have to watch it again soon. Time to bust out the popcorn and milkduds.
ellisd
View Profile
Veteran user
Sacramento
330 Posts

Profile of ellisd
The scariest dark ride I was on was at the local canival. As soon as the cars entered the inside of the setup it was completely pitch black for the whole ride.I would have felt it was a ripoff except for the fact that we kept waiting for something to pop out at us which actually made it a lot scarier than if something had.
http://www.erictheballoondude.com

Balloon Twisting for all of Sacramento!
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Visit http://www.laffinthedark.com for a website devoted totally to dark rides!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Thanks for the review Bob.
Might mention that the book 'Scary Dark Rides' is free to read online... http://209.150.104.203
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Doug,

Thanks for the good work!

People that know me know that I always shake while I being brave.

Life is a little spooky here at home. My wife is Dr. Collins. Our house is really called "Collinwood Manor" for you Dark Shadows fans.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Cholly, by golly!
Anyone interested in dark rides and other haunted attractions should check out
Haunted Attraction magazine and Hauntworld magazine... but be careful.

Haunting wreaks havoc on those October magic bookings.
Lucy
View Profile
New user
Alabama
26 Posts

Profile of Lucy
Scary Dark Rides is a "must read" for those who remember the midways of the 50s, 60s and even some of the 70s.

Lucy
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
If you liked Scary Dark Rides, you'd probably like the "Ghostmasters" book and video about the ghost shows in movie theaters that Doug is also a fan of.

Yours,

Paul
ruaturtle
View Profile
Regular user
Gastonia, NC
113 Posts

Profile of ruaturtle
Excellent job Doug! Thanks for sharing...
I have found that I do not suffer from insanity... instead I rather enjoy it! : )

Poodle... the other white meat.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Needless to say, I love this sort of thing. The last ghost trains I rode through were at LeSourdesville Lake Amusement Park (which is closed, but may reopen next year if the owners can find a good manager), and at the old Coney Island Amusement Park in Cincinnati, Ohio (closed to prepare for the construction of Kings Island). Coney reopened as a public pool and have since added some rides; I don't know if they have a ghost train. The Cincinnati Zoo also had rides and a ghost train.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
When I was a kid I LOVED that ride! We used to go to Riverside park in Mass, (or was it Conecticut?) Anyway, it brings up fond childhood memories for sure.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Scary Dark Rides (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL