The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Chinese water bowl illusion (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
I am try to find out anything about the (very old) Chinese water bowls effect(non gimmicked). Basically the magician dips one bowl into the other and scoops up some water. As the bowls are swirled, water overflows. The bowls continue to overflow as the bowls are swirled and swirled. You also drink from the bowls. No matter how much you drink and swirl out water, the bowls always seem to remain full and overflowing.

Have the bowls but can't remember the routine or presentation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please lead me to the correct write up's. Seem to remember that it was written up but can't remember where.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
It is written up in the Sam Sharpe trilogy published by Mickey Hades. I think it is called Conjuroers Principles liquids etc.

It takes a good actor like Jeff McBride to pull it off.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:

...and boy does he pull it off!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This trick lay dormant for many years until a Polish magician named Assan revived it in his work in beer gardens in Munich. Zauber Zantrale München issued a version of it. I translated the instructions for them. If I can find a copy of the instructions I'll see about sending them to you.

I saw Assan perform this many times while I was in Munich.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2005-03-08 21:37, hugmagic wrote:

It was "Poetry In Motion" when Jeff McBride performed this beautiful effect. It was my favorite part of the show. After each production of more water, Jeff McBride would gently tap the bowls together and produced the most beautiful ringing sound which really added to the effect.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have this in print in a German publication.

Cas Boxley, in Oakland, Calif., used to do a great version he called "Mo Wata" using ordinary tea cups.

No question, McBride has taken it to another level. An artistic one.

If you can't do it justice... don't do it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Quote:
On 2005-03-09 00:47, Bill Palmer wrote:
This trick lay dormant for many years until a Polish magician named Assan revived it in his work in beer gardens in Munich. Zauber Zantrale München issued a version of it. I translated the instructions for them. If I can find a copy of the instructions I'll see about sending them to you.
I saw Assan perform this many times while I was in Munich.

Hi Bill, I see I can't pm you (not sure why) but I was wondering if either you can pm me or if someone can contact Bill. This is the Chinese waterball effect and I'd very much like to get my hands on a copy.

regards,

bobser

Posted: Sep 18, 2008 10:07am
The above of course is actually called The Chinese 'Waterbowl' effect. sorry.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
If there was a god

Sam Sharpe would be gods name

The books most needed to be read, can be obtained by few and understood by fewer

The Waterbowl effect is one of the most beautiful
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The reason you can't PM me is that I turned off my private messaging. I did this because every time someone rediscovers my Scotch and Soda routine, my message box fills up. So, you are going to have to figure out how to e-mail me.

Hint -- look at my profile.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

BryanKelly
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of BryanKelly
Does anyone know where I can purchase a set of these? Yes, I've searched a lot :/
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
They are not available ANYWHERE. The German production was extremely limited.

Assan made his own bowls.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Hocus pocus has a set of water bowls.
on their hot list right now.dont know if this is the set
that you want or not.
Tregar
View Profile
New user
New York
12 Posts

Profile of Tregar
Saw a version here, but much more pricier than Hocus-Pocus.

http://www.siam-magic.com/product_detail.php?pid=54
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I seriously doubt that these would work at all. The real ones are not hemispherical. They look like it, but the dimensions are slightly "off."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

magicjluc
View Profile
New user
australia and France
61 Posts

Profile of magicjluc
A French magician named Mimosa (2nd price FISM comedy magic 1991) do a fantastic version of it with regular chinese bowl. I performed with him for a couple of month and couldn't stop watching him doing it. He published it in French in a book call "Magie sans artifice"...but it haven't been translated.
Zatanna,female magician and mentalist, 2007,2008 & 2009 WA's Magician of the year, 2011 Fringe Festival magic slam winner. Festival Off d'Avignon 2021 2022.
Magicien professionnel au féminin close-up et scène Cannes Monaco Côte d'Azur.
https://www.zatanna.pro
Maddies Ghost
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Maddies Ghost
Just to bump this,Jeff McBride performed this on Penn and Teller Fool Us Thursday. I want sure what was happening but again Penn and Teller claimed to be fooled. By what I have no idea.
https://youtu.be/f9PL-uhjG5U
smike
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of smike
The trick didn't translate to TV very well. It also rankles me when P&T award a trophy to someone not because of the trick, but because of their reputation. It demand them and the show.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
McBride's water bowl illusion is one that just doesn't do it for me. Even when I saw him do this live a convention I just didn't see any magic. I think he got a standing ovation so I'm in the minority. I suspect that it's just one of those routines where the effect is not strong on its own but the "Theater" elevates it for a lot of people.

This particular Fool Us episode was odd because there were two tricks were P & T said there was no "trick" (The water bowls and the dice stacking" but they declared that the water bowls fooled them and the dice didn't. Confirming that "Fool Us" isn't to be taken literally.

That's ok with me. It's a great show.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
This exact subject... of as to whether P and T were 'fooled' has been discussed in the illusion section of the fora.
This show can not be taken literally.. First and foremost it is a reality SHOW, not a REALITY show. the emphasis is on SHOW.
Like other reality shows, it's relationship to being real is subject to the whims of the producers.

As has been noted, they tend to reward their friends and other notable names in magic with a "FU" award and the decision is arbitrary.

BTW- this trick was written up in Genii Magazine (in Loyd's column?) circa 1964-65 and is listed under the title More Water by Harry Mendoza... using tea cups
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

Profile of Eugene Chekhov
I think that if Jeff had not given them a cup in their hands, they would have been exactly fooled!
Awesome illusion - I do not understand why many do not like this? Magic is diverse, I'm glad that such great ideas find a new life in the 21st century.
You can find the secret on the pages of many books - a description of 1 page.
Only a genius can take a dry text - and turn it into an illusion.
Magicians stopped looking for a philosophy in art.
Jeff is one of the best things I've seen in magic. Smile
More Water by Harry Mendoza
Perhaps someone remembers the exact issue of the magazine. It would be interesting to read this. Jonathan thank you for sharing the link! Smile
I love the magic & history of magic! My favorites magicians - Dai Vernon, Max Malini, Fielding West, Michael Finney, Jeff Hobson, Bob Sheets, Nick Lewin, Harry Murphy, Dick Oslund- great showmen of magic!
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Chinese water bowl illusion (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL