The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How often do you guys practise? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
I work M-F and there's a lot of downtime in between. Usually I get to practice my coin rolls and vanishes/reappearances during those times. I even snuck some card flourishes and practice my tricks along the way.

Most of the time, I practice at home. Give me a few hours and I'm good to go. Smile
TCM
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of TCM
I practise whenever time allows - at home I always have cards and coins at hand, wherever I am I have my coins, cards and gimmicks for practise (and a tiny bit of performance at school). With this, I usually get at least 4 hours practise a day, although it is not structured well - I don't say 'I will work on this, this and this', I do the moves - bad, I know, and it's something I have to change.

Today, I had a cover for English and a science test - I sat with my cards and coins during these about an hour and a half practising (I finished the test early, I'm not that stupid Smile )
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Whenever I feel like it.
and whenever it is necessary.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I practice daily. I am retired and have lots of time on my hands. I am constantly with a deck of cards in my hands.
Magic is a vanishing art.
DoomPenguin
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of DoomPenguin
I practice maybe 2-3 hours a day. A lot of that is going over a certain sleight while waiting for a page to load on the computer. Other times I'll sit down and go over a routine or a new trick.
A broken clock tells the right time twice a day.
smartie_28
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of smartie_28
I practice where ever and when ever I can. I have lots of time at work, so I practice a fair amount here, I'm at work right now.
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Never often enough. 1 -2 hours a day, depending on what life is throwing my way.

I break down practice into phases:
The manipulation/moves/mechanics
The effect as a whole (script and all)
The entire routine, including transitions from one effect to another

I don't do all three phases every day and never enough time on scripting/total choreography.

David
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Azaziel
View Profile
New user
California
51 Posts

Profile of Azaziel
Every sec I get.. If I'm not driving.. I'm practicing.. and not just the whole routine. just segments.. I break it down to a seg each day so that it is natural to me..
The greatest tick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
landon
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
158 Posts

Profile of landon
I try to practise as much as possible but I'm often busy with schoolwork,etc. I try to get in at least an hour on weekdays and then about 3 hours on Saturday and Sunday. It varies how much I practise depending on what else is going on in my life. I should probably be practising more but it's hard to find time. I should be practising right now instead of typing!
shaneking
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
61 Posts

Profile of shaneking
I have been doing magic for 30 years and only recently I have disciplined myself by writing down a finite number of tricks that I want to master using an Excel spreadsheet. I refrain from wandering off to see new tricks to buy on magic we
If you're not looking for it you won't find it!
Www.shanekingmagic.com
Sydney, Australia
shaneking
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
61 Posts

Profile of shaneking
....continuing.... Magic websites and instead try and practise 3 tricks per day. I might practise the same 3 tricks for 4-5 days to really nail them. If you don't discipline yourself then you might end up being a Jack of all trades and master of none..
If you're not looking for it you won't find it!
Www.shanekingmagic.com
Sydney, Australia
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Interesting- 'cause I am going in the same direction. With the steady stream of new stuff coming out every day, it is easy to get distracted. Generally I am honing my practice to one or two effects in each of the various facets of magic- rings, sponge balls, cups & balls, rope, rubber bands,coins, cards, etc....
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Remember "practice is the oil...lack of it, your technique becomes rusty", if you get my drift. Practice is a lifelong pursuit...

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
I also practice every free moment I have. Routines are always running through my mind. And whenever I have the chance, a deck of cards is always in my hand.
geoffa
View Profile
New user
Nashville, TN
57 Posts

Profile of geoffa
@shaneking Funny. I've been following the same approach of using a list. It's so easy these days to be a consumer of magic instead of practicing.

Using a list like you recommend is what's working for me. Along with listing each effect, I also have a status and notes about where I am. That way if it's been a few days, I can pick up where I left off.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I try to carry coins with me and for years would practice pretty much constantly. Sleights became my 'fidgets.'

When I was in Junior high I used to practice my zombie in front of the mirror any time I could, inventing new moves and reinforcing ones I already knew.

Any new illusion I try to practice until I feel "smooth" with it. Frankly, with most mechanical illusions the mechanics come fairly quickly, its the routining that I practice over and over til its second nature. I then practice my whole act through many times before a show, getting the flow of the show down and making sure I hadn't forgotten any specifics of the routines I'm going to use.

BUT I'm just an amateur these days. If I was pro, it would be my job. And as my job, when I wasn't doing other job things like performing or drumming up business, I'd be practicing.

Ask a professional violist when they aren't practicing, they will probably tell you "when I'm eating, sleeping or performing." Welcome to a pro-life in the performing arts Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Kabanning
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Kabanning
I dedicate about a half hour each day to practice. Generally, it happens in the afternoons. Additionally, I will also practice while I wait for something. When I practice, I try to go through a variety of tricks and illusions so I won't lose that knowledge.
koolcracker
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of koolcracker
When I used to do magic I would just practice certain effects and nothing more. Now that I am restarting I am practicing the sleights and really perfecting things. I can see my old method left me a pretty weak magician that could only do the sleights in a passable manner. Basically now I will just practice while I'm reading on the computer, watching tv, or just bored.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
IMHO that's the best way to practice sleight of hand. If you use it while performing everyday activities, it becomes second nature and therefor totally natural.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
To tell you the truth, not much any more. Only if I learn a new trick. I perform rarely these days, but I DID just learn some new stuff, and I've been practicing throughout the day. While practicing my coin magic (Silver Dollars), I have to practice in the bathroom. That's the only mirror in this house. One thing I learned though. I MUST learn to put the toilet seat and cover DOWN. Nothing worse than going "fishing"....eee-yuck!

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How often do you guys practise? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL