The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Strongest *showmen* of mentalism - caught on tape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
(I posted a similar post to this elsewhere, but now here I'm turning specifically to the field of mentalism. I.e moderators - kindly don't move this post.)

The strongest *showmen* of mentalism - THAT WE CAN SEE RECORDED (video/DVD) - who are/were they? Mental entertainers - known for truly *CONNECTING* with the *LAYMEN* ?

Not "Oh, what a nice/cosy guy". Just not enough. I'm talking about "WOW, this guy/experience I'll cherish *for the rest of my life*" - but at the same time;

not *necessarily* bombastic charisma
not *necessarily* with extreme technical mastery
not *necessarily* laugh-your-pants-off

...even if all that is nice, too.

Here are some examples IMO (and I wish I could be more specific on *where* to find them);

Kreskin (goofy and very much connecting with his strong mysteries. See his many TV-performances)
Uri Geller (makes everyone feel great, experiencing genuine miracles. Maybe they are? No tape as far as I know, but many many recorded examples of course, available if searched for.)
Derren Brown (but I have no idea if he connects as much live as in his specials where he obviously, and masterfully, chose the perfect context for the effects.)

Dr Jaks (another Breese recording. I can see this man coming across at a very personal level.)
Dunninger - great for his day. Bombastic. Only heard recordings. IS footage available?
(Al Koran - I limited my question to mentalism and I consider Koran more of a magician, so...)

I'd really appreciate it if you could come up with others. Honestly, I think there should be more emphasis on these aspects of performance than any other.

...CONNECTING with LAYMEN generally AVAILABLE on tape or similar.

Thanks.
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
David Hoy
You have to give it away to keep it.
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Derren Brown definetely gets my vote for being an amazing showman.

I wish there was somewhere to see footage or recordings of Annemann, is there? Or would it have been too long ago for footage?

Scott
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
There is footage of Annemann performing his bullet catch. Grainy, but interesting.

Jack Shalom
bsmith
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of bsmith
Quote:
On 2005-03-09 22:10, landmark wrote:
There is footage of Annemann performing his bullet catch. Grainy, but interesting.

Jack Shalom

Jack,
Where is this footage available?
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2075 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Chan Canasta - the only mentalist that really made an impact in the UK as being possibly real. Unless you count Geller!

What he and Geller have in common - as well as a debonair foreign charm - is the ability to use the same material over and over again and still get jaws dropping.

Regards,

David.
Kim
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Kim
Quote:
On 2005-03-10 02:35, Robertson wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-03-09 22:10, landmark wrote:

Jack Shalom

Jack,
Where is this footage available?

It shows up on Ebay from time to time. I purchased it, it was,if I rememebr right, about $15-20 total for a very few minutes of film.As jack said, it is very very grainy,but at the same time,Im glad I ahve it Smile
Kim
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Orson Wells was a GREAT showman. I remember him doing some amazing predition routines as a kid watching the Merv Griffin show. The vcr wasn't around back then.

A very powerful performer.
Self concept is destiny..
bsmith
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of bsmith
Thanks Kim. I'll keep my eys peeled
lane99
View Profile
Elite user
421 Posts

Profile of lane99
MindPhantom, it's funny you mention that, because I have the same strong recollection of seeing Orson Welles on Merv Griffin as a kid (I was a kid, not Merv Griffen ;-) But the memory is one of seeing the worst performance so bad it was laughable.

It's true his PERSONA as an illusionist was very believable. Unfortunately, the actual mechanics of his performance was embarrassingly bad. He opened a sealed envelope to reveal a predicition, and you EVERYONE could see him switch in a fingerpalmed substitute for what had previously been in the envelope. Even though I had no idea at that time that that could be a possible method, it was painfully obvious what he had done (even to me as a kid completely unfamiliar with magic techniques).

All these years I've remembered the slight smile on Merv's face (who obviously saw the switch to, along with the rest of the audience) and, out of politeness, he pretended to be impressed. To this day, I always tell myself "remember, pay attention, and don't be like Orson!"
Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
Guys, thanks for your replies... but very little new has come up of mentalists known for connecting with laymen with available recordings.

Hoy - thanks for reminding me of Hoy, I recall seeing a recording of possibly his own TV show (Name of show??) Any ideas where to find this (or other) recordings?

Annemann - known for "connecting" with laymen and being a great showman??? Really??? Does this come across in the bullet catch clip?

Canasta - thanks for pointing him out, and with the just released DVD...!

Orson Wells - he wasn't a mentalist, was he?

Surely there must be many others?

Warmest thanks for your help. I believe it is an important question, on a topic worthy of study.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
The Chan Canasta video is available from Martin Breese.

There is footage around of Dunninger, taken from his television series. I have several clips.

There is also footage around of Maurice Fogel, who was a fantastic performer. A couple of years ago realtives of Fogel's gave a talk at The Los Angeles Magic History Conference and showed the footage.

Burling Hull was another extra-ordinary performer, but as far as I know, no PERFORMING footage is available.

I do have a clip of Ormond McGill performing, but it is not mentalism or hypnotism. He's doing a comedy cigarette manipulation act!

I might add that FAlkenstein and Willard, in their prime, were wonderful performers, and video is definitely available.

In his early years, Harry Anderson and his wife performed an excellent Mentalism act. It was novel and very strong. Not the goofy stuff he turned to later. I wonder if any video is avialable of the early show?

- entity

Forgot to mention two wonderful current Mentalists who have video clips of their performances available on their websites:

Tim Connover
Joel Bauer

- entity
Franmonet
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Franmonet
I think we would have to add Richard Osterland the lins.
Heck is for people who don't believe in gosh
czero
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
282 Posts

Profile of czero
I was wondering when someone would add him. No one connects with a crowd like Richard Osterlind. He's got it all: showmanship, likeability, charisma, and wonderful rapport with his audience.

--Mike
SpAgHeTtI
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of SpAgHeTtI
I agree that Osterlind is a great performer but honestly I didn't knew that he is notorious among laypeople as dunninger or kreskin or derren brown or Geller.....Are you sure?
Ideation
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Ideation
Incidentally, a great book to use as a resource for anyone trying to find video clips of "strong" mentalism performers of the past and present is "The Mind Readers" by William Rauschke. The book won't itself directly lead you to repositories of such footage but will present you with the names of many, many top mentalism performers, video of whom you'd probably be interested in obtaining. I strongly recommend this book to anyone interested in mentalism!
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
The Astonishing Neal.
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
I have Dunninger on video from one of his old TV shows, I don't need to say anymore...

~Rick~
MR2Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville
179 Posts

Profile of MR2Guy
Is there any footage of Corinda performing? If he's half of how he says he is in his book, I would love to see it.

Jason
Question every rule.
There are no absolutes.
Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
Thanks everyone for your input. You've got to agree there is surprisingly little around, at least if we don't include brief clips.

Entity and Rick Silmser;
do you know where to find the Dunninger and Fogel clips? I have soem Dunninger audio recordings, but have yet to see the man.

The Falkenstein and Willard video - are you, Entity, referring to their 3-video set from a few years ago? (I'm sad to say that the one lay person I showed it to left the room out of boredom.)

Harry Anderson, yes there is a strong (magic) performer. Anybody knows if this mental act is available for viewing?

Dr Stephen Midnight; Who is "the Astonishing Neal"?

Again, warmest thanks. This is truly valuable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Strongest *showmen* of mentalism - caught on tape (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL