The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Strongest *showmen* of mentalism - caught on tape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
scottasf
View Profile
Regular user
san leandro, ca
157 Posts

Profile of scottasf
I have David Hoy on Video and I am not sharing!

By the way,
I also have The Tuckers and Kuda Bux.
2008/2009 President Oakland Magic Circle

"Life would be so wonderful if we only knew what to do with it." - Greta Garbo
Ideation
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Ideation
Quote:
On 2005-03-15 15:44, Mr Amazing wrote:
The Falkenstein and Willard video - are you, Entity, referring to their 3-video set from a few years ago? (I'm sad to say that the one lay person I showed it to left the room out of boredom.)

Although I viewed that series awhile ago, I recall being somewhat disappointed, too. My memory's a bit hazy on this but I think they only performed in the first volume of the 3-video series and the remaining two were explanations and chit-chatting with Michael Ammar and his wife. Also, I do clearly remember thinking that Glen Falkenstein's patter was WAY too "canned" -- it seemed like he'd spoken it so many times that he was just repeating a memorized spiel (which it probably was, but it shouldn't have been so obvious!) At the same time, they still have to be one of the premier two-person mentalism acts around.
One other thing: the set of their 3-volume L & L series was set up like a nighclub, with the audience seated at small tables laden with drinks. That gave the video a really "authentic" atmosphere.

Quote:
On 2005-03-18 01:16, scottasf wrote:
By the way,

Kuda Bux -- is the video you have of him from early in his career or later, when he apparently was a regular at The Magic Castle? I've read that in later years the method behind his trademark blindfold effect, which from everything I've read was absolutely unbelievably baffling when he was younger, sadly was quite obvious late in his career.
scottasf
View Profile
Regular user
san leandro, ca
157 Posts

Profile of scottasf
Quote:
On 2005-03-18 11:33, Ideation wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-03-18 01:16, scottasf wrote:
By the way,

Kuda Bux -- is the video you have of him from early in his career or later, when he apparently was a regular at The Magic Castle? I've read that in later years the method behind his trademark blindfold effect, which from everything I've read was absolutely unbelievably baffling when he was younger, sadly was quite obvious late in his career.

I have a 50's CBS special called It's Magic with Paul Tripp The episode features (ready??) Al Flosso, "The Banana Man", and Kuda Bux.

Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
Would you guys say The Tuckers and Kuda Bux fulfill the criteria given (in the initial post)?

scottasf - regarding the Hoy tape, is it a TV performance where he, among other things, is doing his book test with the books taken from a book shelf standing on stage in the TV studio. And a bill serial number divination where he writes the numbers on a biggish white hand held card board paper? And the show ending is a slow zoom out (much too slow for todays audiences)? Is it this show? If not, then could you please briefly describe it.

Thanks guys!
scottasf
View Profile
Regular user
san leandro, ca
157 Posts

Profile of scottasf
Oh, did I mention I have al koran doing the medallian and another effect on Ed Sullivan show.

Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
Thanks again scottasf. Kindly note my question to you in the previous post.

Thanks
The Count of Three
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of The Count of Three
Those interested in Orson Welles and magic might want to track down the new Criterion DVD edition of his truly strange, late (1974) film "F for Fake," a pseudo-documentary about deception, illusion, and misdirection. It's largely about art and literary forgeries (anyone remember the Howard Hughes hoax-autobiography in the 70's?), but it opens with some magic, and unfolds from there quite unpredictably.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det......mp;s=dvd
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
The tape I mentioned regarding Falkenstein and Willard was of the very first televised performance of their presentation of the Willard Spirit Cabinet. It is extraordinary, and far from boring.

The tape you mentioned, Mr. Amazing, was done, I believe, later in Mr. Falkentien's career, after the onset of a debilitating illness, which might explain what some think of as a lackluster performance.

I'd forgotten, but I also have video somewhere of The Tuckers doing their act. The Dunninger footage that I have was obtained from a broadcaster when a history of mentalism was being documented.

- entity
Antelope
View Profile
New user
England
25 Posts

Profile of Antelope
Quote:
Derren Brown (but I have no idea if he connects as much live as in his specials where he obviously, and masterfully, chose the perfect context for the effects.)

I went to his show recently and it was excellent. I certainly feel that he draws the audience in and connects with them, would recommend attending to anyone.

Ant
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Strongest *showmen* of mentalism - caught on tape (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL