The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » SOS Bag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Renaldi
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
106 Posts

Profile of Renaldi
Does anyone have any reviews about this product by Richard Osterlind and Jim Sisti?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
YOu can do a basic search by putting in SOS Bag or Osterlind, but here you go:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109

It's a great product.... but then again, everything Richard puts out is amazing.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
It's a great product.... but then again, everything Richard puts out is amazing.
Greg
[/quote]

Absoluetely! And, at $50 bucks it's a STEAL!
Here's the link: http://www.osterlindmysteries.com/store0.htm
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Thanks for the support, guys!

Renaldi,

The bag is used for a pseudo psychometry routine, but can be used in many, many more different ways. You can force objects as well as identify the owners. After it came out, I was flooded with magicians writing telling me all the different uses they had for it. It is hand-made by Sandy Sisti and will last forever! I love simple props like this that can never fail.

Richard
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3884 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
How would you compare the Fogel's Second Spot psychometry bags with Mr. Osterlind's SOS bag and their routines capabilities?

Thank you very much.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
SOS seems more natural to me. It makes more sense to deposit all the objects in one bag and mix them up than so place each on in its own bag.

Also, as has been pointed out, SOS has a huge set of potential uses for effects other than psychometry.

--Chris
Renaldi
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
106 Posts

Profile of Renaldi
I am having problems with the cold reading aspect of this effect as opposed to ascertaining the owner of the item. Any books or reference material would be helpful, especially light-hearted themes.
Avocat
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of Avocat
Here's a combination you might consider using for quick and painless cold-readings. For personalities, try to identify people using the Myers-Briggs axes. They're explained in practical, usable terms in Alessandra's _The Platinum Rule_, which you'd actually find in the business section.

I've also found it helpful to adapt colorful descriptions from the various personality tests (especially the "ultimate personality test") at Tickle.com (back when it was called eMode.com). I lean towards the light-hearted readings when I do them at all, so I found Tickle's descriptions very helpful.

Also, check out Webster's "Psychometry from A to Z"," an invaluable system for delivering multiple, non-repetitive, brief readings to an extended series of subjects.

Few more things:

(1) more comparisons/contrasts with Fogel's bags :
- the SOS packs lighter
- SOS looks more "normal" than five large drawstring bags
- Fogel's bags do allow more direct spectator handling (good for "fairness," not so good for pacing)
- Lee Earle's handling of Fogel's bags makes identification a literal "no-brainer"

(2) If you don't like cold reading, consider Ted Lesley's handling which I think is even posted online somewhere - no cold reading at all, more a Sherlock Holmes sort of thing. Combine Lesley's premise with Osterlind's ending and I'd bet you'd get a very effective routine out of the mix.

(3) A question - anyone use the SOS bag with a handmike?

I just got mine and have permanently mothballed my Lee Earle "No-Brainer Bags" as a consequence. However, I still haven't come up with a satisfactory way to handle the SOS while using a handmike (I'm a big fan of the authority that handmikes impart, so I'm not planning to go lav or headset anytime soon).

Without knowing the sort of items you will gather, SOS probably can't be reliably operated with only one hand. Two hands brings the bag uncomfortably close to my face between items, and I'd rather not go silent while gathering all the items. But so far those are my only two solutions : (a) bring the bag too close to my face to rule out peeking or (b) go dead-mike during the gathering procedure.

Oh yeah, I guess if I'm wearing a coat I could tuck the mike in my hankey-pocket, but I've never tried it with that much arm motion. Probably a bad idea.

Anyway, just working that out. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated!
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
"Oh yeah, I guess if I'm wearing a coat I could tuck the mike in my hankey-pocket, but I've never tried it with that much arm motion. Probably a bad idea."

Why not get one of those microphone holders that go around your neck. Then you could slide the mic into the hanger whenever it suits you but otherwise carry it in your hand.

Gianni
kcalB
View Profile
Inner circle
Took me 16 years to make
1002 Posts

Profile of kcalB
[quote] Avocat

A question - anyone use the SOS bag with a handmike?
http://www.malloymodernmagic.com/freedom.htm

I use & recommend this,
Sebastian Black
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

I must have been away when this issue came up or I would have addressed it sooner. Freeing up the hands while working with a microphone is a very important consideration. Since I travel by air to all of my shows, I don't carry any PA equipment with me. We have a rider which dictates all the necessary information about what kind of system we need. For years I have specified a wireless, lavelier mic along with a second microphone on a stand. The lav type mics can be good or bad, depending on the quality, but they have been improving over the years.

Headset mics have much better quality and you can get them right up near your mouth, but I always thought they looked better on a rock singer than a mentalist. Recently, however, I did 2 shows at the Salt Palace Convention Center in Salt Lake City and used a very high-quality one. It was so small it was virtually invisible and the sound was incredible. Each show had an audience of 4500 people and 6 projection screens, and there was not one bit of problem with them seeing or hearing anything.

Finally, I have found myself with nothing but a standard mic which had to be tucked, at times, into the jacket pocket. It certainly is not a very professional look. I always thought those holders that go around your neck looked a bit ungainly, but maybe there are some types that are not too bad.

Richard
kcalB
View Profile
Inner circle
Took me 16 years to make
1002 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Have you ever seen Kreskins Mic-Holder ?

I agree that the holder in my post is not the most attractive holder in the world, but it fits in a suitacase without taking up any space and it comes in handy when you get to the gig and regardless of your spec sheet,... there waiting for you is a wired mic on a stand.

I guess I should have been more clear in my post and said that I use and recommend these in an emergency.

Sebastian
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
723 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
Check out the e6 headset at http://www.countryman.com
No doubt this is what Richard is referring to.
I use it for stage shows as well as close-up at my trade shows
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-09-03 11:14, corpmagi wrote:
Check out the e6 headset at http://www.countryman.com
No doubt this is what Richard is referring to.
I use it for stage shows as well as close-up at my trade shows

Yes, that is the type I had at the show in Utah. From any distance, you almost cannot see it.

Richard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » SOS Bag (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL