The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Spellbound (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
nick vassil
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of nick vassil
Sometimes this seems to me to be like the Ambitious Card of coins. In my routine silver changes back and forth to copper about six times (3 time silver, 3 times copper) then ends with silver to jumbo. How about you?
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I think most spectators like a well-executed spellbound change. I use the move in conjunction with many others, but I have noticed a "spark" in their eyes when a spellbound goes really well. It's the fingertip aspect of it that sells the illusion.

Dan Watkins and Todd Diamond have some nice material using the spellbound to effect triple changes (Silver to copper to brass or gold) that end cleanly, which is a pretty cool adaptation in my opinion. I'm not sure how Dan does his, but it looks great. Todd and I are friends, so he clued me into his method, but before that... I had no idea how he did it either.

Spellbound changes, like anything else, are very deceptive when used properly and with the right frequency.

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
I've been really working with spellbound lately. Incorporating both palming techniques, and sleeving. I've found that sleeving is another category/door. There are a lot more visual advancements and possibilities that I never thought possible, or would've even had the mind to think up. Very deceptive routine. Smile

Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4835 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I have played with spellbound for years, and have worked out a few handlings. I started with a 3 way handling, then came up with A 5 way handling. Now I am working On a 10 way handling that I showed to the boys at the COINvention a year or so back! Hope to have it ready for F.F.F.F. this year! I have the 3 way and the 5 way handlings in print! Ok Latter Man!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
http://www.coinjurer.com
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of John Born
Yo David! Whatup?

Yeah...Neighbors did the 10 way for me when we were jammin' at the Coinvention. If you see him, make him do it for you...

John B. Born
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Quote:
On 2005-03-10 05:56, Mike Wild wrote:

...Dan Watkins and Todd Diamond have some nice material using the spellbound to effect triple changes (Silver to copper to brass or gold) that end cleanly...
Mike

Hi Mike!

For the record, the triple change Spellbound goes back to Scotty York, in about 1975.
I have been doing a triple inspired by Scotty's work since then, but only recently published it in Channel One Magazine, after it was incorrectly written up by someone else without my permission (Al old student, but that's another story). Anything more than a triple starts to be problematic. It is hard to justify the changes in the story line, and without talk lines it looks like juggling, a magic puzzle. I'd love to discuss the Spellbound more, if people are interested. It has been a signature trick for me for over 25 years. I once did the trick and had to ditch the extra coin. My method fooled the magicians I was with and afterward they asked what happened to the gaff. I told them I pulled "a Malini...". Lots of other greaat experiences with this one trick...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Is it true that the originator of "Spellbound" was our own Jonathan Townsend? I believe I heard that stated by Jay Sankey...

Am I mistaken...?

Doug
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-03-10 13:32, Dougini wrote:
Is it true that the originator of "Spellbound" was our own Jonathan Townsend? I believe I heard that stated by Jay Sankey...

Am I mistaken...?

Doug
Smile
Yes, Jonathan Townsend has described it in *Stars of Magic* under the name of
*Dai Vernon*...
Ever considered getting a hearingaid ? Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I may have a few coin changes in print, though make no claims on Spellbound itself, which was shown to me by Geoff Latta and then J. P. Laramee who pointed me to the book The Stars of Magic at Tannen's.

If my memory serves, the trick has its roots in a trick from Edward Victor's book, Magic of the Hands titled "The Changing Coin". Perhaps Wesley James or Paul Chosse might offer a more well read history of the trick if we ask.

About as far as I've gone in the basic premise has been to effect the change under misdirection as opposed to hand cover, using the EG2EG move you can find in Kainoa Harbottle's book Coins on Edge.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Yes, the very first description in print might well have been in Edward Victors *Magic of the Hands* book which appeared around 1937.
I well recall it's in there, unfortunately I don't have my copy anymore.

*Stars of Magic*, in loose pamplet, form appeared around 1940 and got published with short intervalls of loose pamplets, so the title *Spellbound* no doubt first appeared there and might be Dai Vernons name for this routine, though it also might have been (that title) invented by George Starke and/or Dr. Jacob Daley, who wrote *Stars of Magic* in colaboration, IIRC, way back in the 1940's.

Maybe Paul Chosse can reveal more about this...
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
While we're talking about this routine, here's a question that's bugged me for ages:

Does anyone think the routine lost something when half-dollars went out of common circulation?

In reading Vernon's routine in Stars of Magic, part of the beauty of it seemed to be that the half-dollar was borrowed from the spectator at the begining of the routine. This eliminated the possiblity that the coin was somehow gimmicked, although one could argue that it pointed directly to the use of an extra coin. Still, I can't shake the feeling that there's something inherently more powerful about transmuting a spectator's property than there is about doing the same thing to a magician's "prop".

Anyways, does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Was wondering if you give out some hats and talk about people seeing what they expect to see... get one person in a russian hat, another in an english hat have them pretend to be from those places, get them talking in accents... then borrow a quarter ... or is that too much work for a little coin trick?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8689 Posts

Profile of harris
LOL I like the hat and accent bit.

As far as half dollars, one can do spellbound with quarters and half pennys or other size coins. It gets a little "tricky" with USA dime sized coins, but it can be done.

I plan on reading the Magic in the Hands book this weekend. I can't remember which one I have. (I believe there was two in the series???)

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Quote:
On 2005-03-10 15:17, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
... or is that too much work for a little coin trick?

...yes?

Maybe best to save that routine for when a Russian, an Englishman, and a Frenchman walk into a bar.

Does the Vatican have it's own currency? Might be handy to keep around in case the Pope is with them.

Stop me if you've heard this one...

In other news, how great would it be if Chinese coins actually looked like "Chinese coins". Carry around a C/S, borrow a Chinese coin from a tourist, and you can do an "impromptu" triple-change spellbound.

Paul

Posted: Mar 10, 2005 4:49pm
------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2005-03-10 16:47, Harris wrote:
I plan on reading the Magic in the Hands book this weekend. I can't remember which one I have. (I believe there was two in the series???)

Pretty sure it was a trilogy.
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
457 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
Quote:
On 2005-03-10 12:46, Paul Chosse wrote:
I have been doing a triple inspired by Scotty's work since then, but only recently published it in Channel One Magazine, after it was incorrectly written up by someone else without my permission

Paul -

This may be showing my ignorance, but I am unfamiliar with "Channel One Magazine". Could you possibly tell me how one can subscribe or purchase a copy (the one with your routine)? Or is the routine available anyplace else?

Thanks - Bill

Posted: Mar 11, 2005 11:55am
------------------------------------
Paul -

Never mind...I goggled it. Gad...how could I have not heard of this magazine before? It looks great! I see that your routine was in issue 13. I will subscribe today.

Bill (living in isolation someplace)
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
RE:
Quote:
Hi Mike! For the record, the triple change Spellbound goes back to Scotty York, in about 1975.

Hi Paul. I knew the triple change predated Dan and Todd, but I didn't know the Silver Fox came up with it. That actually shouldn't be a surprise considering some of the other amazing things Scotty has come up with.

Thanks for the enlightenment man.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3027 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
My routine is a quadruple change spellbound.

The credits I have for my particular routine is:

• Original spellbound plot: Edward Victor: “The Changing Hands” Magic of the Hands (1946)
• Naming and defining the spellbound plot: Dai Vernon: Stars of Magic (Series 2, Number 3, 1961)
• Quadruple Color Change (non-Spellbound): Sol Stone, “Patriotic Poker Chips” Tarbell Volume 7 (1972).
Click to visit:
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1487 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Spellbound is a great plot and Vernon's routine in Stars of Magic holds up just as well today as it did when it was published. The purse palm is a nice sleight, but it helps to have "meaty" fingers to avoid windows.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4854 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
In my new book I have an effect called "Lucky Chinese Coin" which is a routine where a Chinese coin (with a hole) changes to a gold dollar size coin and then a silver dollar and so forth. All the changes are fully integrated within the script. The sleights involved are original with the exception of a Spellbound move done once. When I was researching it, I found that the Spellbound move from "Stars of Magic" which is essentially a French Drop was described in "Magic Without Apparatus" p.292 under the title “Fourth Method.” The edition I have if from 1945 but I believe the book was originally published in 1914.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
As part of the "less is more" school, my only published handling of The Changing Coin uses just one coin.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Spellbound (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL