The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Spellbound (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
As Larry pointed out for most performers it's the script that counts. Not so many of us are so well experienced and genial as Al Goshman who could just tell people that this trick is something that he does for himeself, and his audience would share his delight at the coin changing from silver to copper and from copper to silver.

The idea of treating a coin as a "universal" or "general" card is okay. How you present the thing is what ultimately counts. As a beginner's coin exercise it is useful and as an exercise it stays with us as we learn new methods. Yes I guess it is the AC of coin magic. Unmotivated and pointless for the most part, self serving and technical in a myopic way for the student... yes, and also a good way to test a new sleight or method in context of a routine. For the serious student this is the sort of premise that one can use as a presentation exercise. For the teacher this is a great test of the student's knowlege, skills and progress as they apply what they learn.

For laymen though... as said before, a challenge to present as more than simply a demonstration of secret juggling or somehow being clever with two coins.

Michael Rubenstein does something interesting in his lecure using an unusual coin and even has a cute finale for the spellbound routine.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Quantum Entanglement Smile
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3845 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
The spellbound routine that Jon is refering to is on my NEW DVD, lecture 2004. It contains some of the routines from my current lecture. I also just released my 1986 lecture on DVD, with 4 reputation makers. Write me at rubinsteindvm@aol.com for details and price list of these and my other exclusive coin effects!
First edition of Rubinstein Coin Magic sold out in RECORD TIME, and the supplies of the reprint are dwindling fast! but don't despair, they are still around at dealers everywhere!
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!! ORDER YOURS TODAY!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used on the book.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
For the one or two guys who might be interested, I've revamped "New York Spellbound" and, to further confusion about that title, (it has nothing to do with the state or the city) I'll be showing it around at my lecture in New York, April 19th. Check with the Parent Assembly for details.

The new version is for standup performance, not a backpinch in sight, and breaks new ground on the way to a segue to the C/S/B transpo and the "Hopping Halves".
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

At the Army/Navy/Marines/ club on 38th and Lexington in NYC?
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2713 Posts

Profile of RS1963
My favorite spellbound routine ive seen is on a curtis kam video.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Would that be his first video?
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Yes to both, Jonathan, I'm pretty sure. There are other "Changing Coin" routines in my vids, but those are "Wild coin" plots, which are entirely different, sort of.

Specifically, the lecture is at: the Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmans Club, 283 Lexington Ave bet 36 and 37th St. Courtesy of our friends at the SAM.

The new New York Spellbound features edge grip fun for the whole family.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
457 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
Curtis -

Are you lecturing anywhere else on the East Coast in April? Specifically, anywhere near the Washington, D.C. area?

Bill
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Sorry, Bill, no such plans yet, as much as I'd lke to. I'll post my schedule, once set, in the "Happy together" section.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Curtis,
May I suggest
The Newer York Spellbound
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Bill,

Given where I'm debuting this routine, what about the "New York New York Spellbound"?

The coin trick so nice they named it twice....
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

"Start spreading the news... I'm palming today...if you can chage it there, you'll change it anywhere. It's up to you..." Smile
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
457 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
Howza about the "York Spellbound Rebound"

:)
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3845 Posts

Yo, Curtis, as someone who comes frum Da Bronx (da part dat's STILL standin), I tink you gotta call it New Yawk Spellbound. And even if ya don't , us New Yawkas will (its dat New Yawk State a mind!). (and when yaw in town, bydaway, lemme know if ya need a translata).
First edition of Rubinstein Coin Magic sold out in RECORD TIME, and the supplies of the reprint are dwindling fast! but don't despair, they are still around at dealers everywhere!
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!! ORDER YOURS TODAY!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used on the book.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-03-16 22:31, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
Yo, Curtis, as someone who comes frum Da Bronx (da part dat's STILL standin), I tink you gotta call it New Yawk Spellbound. And even if ya don't , us New Yawkas will (its dat New Yawk State a mind!). (and when yaw in town, bydaway, lemme know if ya need a translata).

Pelham Bay rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3845 Posts

Fuggedaboudit!! Curtis, when you come to NY, bring a lot of coins with you, you gotta feed the meters! Or, you might be spellbound by the Boys in Blue!
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-03-17 00:10, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
....Or, you might be spellbound by the Boys in Blue!
*Palms of Steel* shouldn't be afraid of the boys in blue..just let them have a good look at 'em.. Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3845 Posts

Be afraid, be VERY afraid....
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Okay, this thread is officially off-topic.

What was the original question?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Spellbound (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL