The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Favorite effect with Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Jay Sankeys new video has got me all pumped up about coin magic again.

What's your favorite coin effect?
Yakworld.
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Yak I love Scotch and Soda either gimmicked or Peter Marucci’s ungimmicked version, here are just a few of my others.

Any matrix effects

Fire Trap

I flipped when I first saw this performed and had to learn it

4-D Coin

And many people overlook it, but I’m not going to. I love my little dime and penny! Smile

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time - Fight Club
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
My favorite coin effect is probably Coins Across. A clean and smooth performance of Coins Across to me is the most magical thing you can do with coins. Actually, any coin effect where the coins magically travel from one place to another is in my opinion the best coin magic you can do. Effects include Coins Thru Table, Matrix, etc. And in second place are the Coin Transformation effects, which is when one coin(s) changes into a different coin(s). Scotch and Soda is a perfect example of this type of effect. And last, but certainly not least, all the strange or offbeat coin effects accomplished with gimmicks such as Bite Out Coin, Cig Thru Coin, Folding Coin, etc. These effects get very strong reactions from lay people. They are the types of effects that lay people remember. I can't tell you how many times people ask me to do "the one when you bite the quarter". Smile
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Same here!

I love Matrix effects and just about any type of coins across effect! Offbeat presentations with, "Scotch and Soda" as well!

I remember the first time I saw, "Scotch and Soda"!!! I was at a flea market and a magician selling his wares demonstrated it for me! Had to have it there and then!

Smile

Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
robsigns
View Profile
New user
Southern California
72 Posts

Profile of robsigns
I’ll have to agree that a "coins across" is definitely a great trick, and the Jay Sankey video has some really great ideas on it. A coins across using Han Pien Chen (sp?) that happens right in their hands is strong.

One of my all time favorites is the Silver/Copper/Brass Transposition.
It happens right in their hands, and you leave them with examinable coins in the end. Johnson makes a great set, but my favorite by far are the sets that Todd Lassen makes. klarentz@aol.com

Of course, I can’t talk about my favorite coin effect without mentioning 3Fly, but that’s a whole other forum...
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1093 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I love coins across and recently I came across Paul Harris’ PDQ in Art of Astonishment 2. The routine utilizes Han Ping Chien on the spectator’s hands and I feel that this routine is very strong as the hands never came near each other. Smile
Bernard Sim
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Back to the original post on the Sankey tape. I like the Pop Up coins. Where the coins are placed into a card box, and popup through the box. It is very visual. Also the palm up, yes palm up, Han Ping Chien is killer!!!

Chad

ps my favorite coin trick is 3Fly. I have my own version with only 3 coins (no gimmicks) that kills!!! I am working on a 3Fly with a reverse ending!!
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
I love the Flourious routine in Gary Kurtz’s video, it has gotten me great reactions.

I also like that one trick where the coin vanishes and appears in my ear......
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
I was just thinking . . . Ok, I’m done Smile

Seriously, I like the edge grip used for a production of several coins from a handkerchief. Roth explained this on one of his videos. I believe it was his Live in Sacramento video. This is really nice.

I’ve had magicians standing right in front of me say "Where are those coins coming from?"

Scott Smile
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Reian
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
117 Posts

Profile of Reian
From On the Spot, I like to do 3/4 across. It's hard to not get a great reaction.
JaymesR
View Profile
New user
Minnesota
53 Posts

Profile of JaymesR
Have to agree with a lot of others and say Scotch and Soda. Right now I have only the gimmicked version but I am working on getting the coins to work the non-gimick version.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6582 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Burt,

The routine I perform most often is Magic Western Union from "Great Scott! It’s Coin Magic!" When I showed this routine to Larry Jennings, he told me it was the best of it's kind he’d ever seen, which I consider high praise, indeed.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
I think I have to agree with Mr Jennings on this one. That is a fantastic routine. As is Great Scott's Flurry. For others who can't wait for Scotts new book, these routines can also be found in his 2001 lecture notes along with the best sponge ball routine I've EVER seen. Smile
Yakworld.
aaronmagic
View Profile
New user
San Pedro, CA
5 Posts

Profile of aaronmagic
I still say that one of the most impressive coin routines is, 'Full Circle' by Curtis Cam (Sorry for the mis-spell). The unique thing about this routine is that it begins and ends in the same place unlike a lot of other coin routines.
Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny UK
139 Posts

Profile of Joe
My favorite coin routine to watch is a friends, very clean, coins across (in specs hands). My favorite effects to perform while working are, Copper Silver, My Way by Mark DeSouza and a Pk coin levitation on specs hand. I get a great reaction from both.

Joe Smile
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3655 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
My all time favorite coin effect is spellbound. I always start with a production, do a few changes, and finish with a climax that varies on the setting - impromptu, walkaround, etc - the climax can be a vanish, a third color (or coin), a jumbo coin, etc. ...that being said, I never do the color changes by themselves.... to me, the effect just doesn't appear "complete".
Michael Rubinstein
NEW MANUSCRIPT - TWILIGHT ZONE WILD COIN. All New!! As seen on Penn and Teller Fool Us! PM for details!
Rattle purse 2.0 now available! PM me for details!
New FOUR hour Penguin Live lecture TWO with 23 NEW routines, available for download at: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7338
Penguin Live lecture One is THREE hours long, and contains 18 coin effects! Available as a dvd or download from Penguin at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5960
New York Coin Magic Seminar dvd series available for download at: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/magic-dvds/new-york-coin-magic-seminar-downloads/
NEW!! At The Table 2 hour lecture download OR DVD containing 11 routines, including THREE never taught before! Download and dvd avaliable at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22380 or http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22833
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Quote:
On 2001-12-29 14:37, Reian wrote:
From On the Spot, I like to do 3/4 across. It’s hard to not get a great reaction.

I'd have to agree with Reian here. This is a great quick effect that packs a lot of zap.
He who laughs, lasts.
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
615 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Favorite coin effects:

"Elbow, Knee and Neck" by Daryl
This is one of the few multiple coin tricks that I consider "perfect": needs no prep, only 3 coins are used, only 1 easy sleight and it's used only 2 times, the trick is over before the audience decides to watch
"closer this time." I love it.

"Miracle Coin Vanish" - a coin on a pull
Jacket required but it looks as close to real magic as it gets. My favorite restaurant/strolling coin routine in that it's angle-proof.

"Eraser Coin" by David Roth
My favorite gimmicked coin routine. It's so bizarre-looking. Again, the dirty work is over before the audience even knows the trick has started.

"Matrix" by Al Schneider
The original is still the best. It's simple, relatively impromptu (4 cards, 4 coins. That's it) and is fun to do on a carpeted floor as it gives you a nice "close-up pad" and keeps the viewing angle where you want it... straight down over the action.

"Short Hop" by Mark Jenest (or was it Gregory Wilson? I forget)

"Shanghai Surprise" by John Bannon

These two are a tie for my 2nd favorite gimmicked coin routine.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Obviously, my favorite is my own No-Gimmick Scotch and Soda (I say "obviously" because, if it weren't my favorite, why would I bother coming up with it?) Smile

But this thread is fascinating for a totally unrelated reason: It is an example of how tastes change, and fads come and go.

There are several "votes" here for coins across, always an intriguing trick, because there are so many plot lines that can go with it and so many different ways it can be done.

But, and here's where the "fad" part comes in, if this were asked 30 years ago, almost every single respondent would have named a coin matrix.

It was by far the most popular coin routine of that time, with dozens of variations in the handling.

As it is, only one -- Geoff -- even mentions it now.

(Well, I thought it was kind of fascinating, anyway.) Smile

BTW, the no-gimmick Scotch and Soda appeared in my Showtime column in the Linking Ring magazine of June, 1998. If anyone wants to see the whole routine and handling, e-mail me privately and I'll send it to you.

cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2322 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
For me... Hmmm... I think my favorite coin effects with coins would be spellbounds, bare handed matrix, and coins across effects.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Favorite effect with Coins (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL