The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Flash? what to do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
What are some good effect to use falshe paper? the small kind. I mean yeah produce a coin a cig or a bill but what else is there?
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Hi bud,
Here's some thoughts I had. I'm glad you asked, because there's tons of good questions I don't think to ask and this stuff gets me thinking.
I think I like vanishes even better than productions when it comes to a flash, but both are great when viable.

I also like the idea of using flash paper as something the spectator/participant/victim actually writes on, and then is surprisingly vanished with a flare, leaving not a trace behind. Very dramatic. Then read their thoughts (CT or whatever). Same goes for flash money of course. Few people expect to see a piece of paper totally disintegrate into nothing when lit. That alone has a magical aspect to it.

One of the better uses is probably as general misdirection. Use the flash as you gesture to a box or something, when the something magical is supposed to happen.
In this case, as most, I think misdirection is more about the "when" then the "where", but it can come in handy both ways, since a bright flash is bound to draw attention to itself. It can even provide a temporary kind of blindness in a really dark setting, but that's kind of a dirty trick I suppose.
If I had the money, I'd probably get the FISM flash or the one that's very similar, and overuse it to death. Smile

Out of the basic principles of visual magic, which are vanishes, productions, transfers, penetrations, and transformations, I think penetrations would be the one that would benefit the least from a flash.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Mystician
I love your avatars. All I have been doing is lighting it and producing a half dollar or a tube of chapstick but I want something nice that would go good impromtu.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Thanks !
I PM'd Dave Scribner right after I uploaded it to see if it would pass their standards, knowing it was borderline, and so far I've got the OK on it. See, all that playing around in photoshop the other night paid off. ;-)
Gotta love D'Lites !

There's another thread here somewhere that got me thinking about the thumbthing, you might want to take a look at that to help go along with your flash effects. I'd rather see one in person myself though, first.
I think there are some torn and restored (or torn, and burnt ?) card tricks that make use of flash paper. You could also use it for mentalism, like my earlier comment about the centertear. Also, the rubbing of ashes on the arm kind of revelations - whoops, scratch that, no ashes left to rub !
"Flash-paper" and "impromptu" are 2 or 3 words that don't really seem to go together all that well. Well, at least, not without some prep work first, and even then, you can't reset unless you prep'd a 2nd method along with the first.
You should be able to find a few good ideas though just combing through this forum.

Did you ever do an advanced search at the Café ? It's pretty nice, you can narrow it down to a forum, as well as a phrase, a date range, some other good criteria too. If you haven't given it a shot yet, try it, it's pretty neat what you can dig up from 2 or 3 years ago.

Lastly, I'd like to ask, does anyone know of any kind of paper that looks and feels just like flash paper, but isn't ? It'd be great for a switch, or effects where their paper just burns, but yours goes up in a blaze of glory , etc. I can think of lots of cool uses for that.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Flash? what to do? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL