The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » My new workshop in progress... check photos! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2895 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I'm so excited it's pitiful... after moving to the SF Bay Area and buying a house last year, I've been putting together my new workshop in a corner of the 2-car garage. The idea was to pack everything into a 5' by 9' space, but to expand it as needed when I'm working. So far it's working. Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

You can see photos at http://www.capital.net/~georgefl/workshop
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
George,

That's really cool! What sort of things are you planning on making?

Yours,

Paul
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2895 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Hi, Paul,

Thanks. I'm a set designer, so I'll be making props -- probably opening a small side business to serve local theatre groups and themed entertainment venues. I've also written a few "how-to" pieces for trade journals, so this will give me a place to make stuff and take pictures for future articles. And, of course, I'll be making a few magic props here and there.

And... oh, yeah... The Boss, aka She Who Must Be Obeyed, wants some stuff for the house, mostly drawers and organizers for kitchen cabinets. We already have some plans and ideas for this, so it should be fun.

Regards.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Sorry, I can't resist. Are you going to gaff the drawers and cabinet organizers?

Yours,

Paul
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2895 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Hmmmm... not a bad idea... a secret compartment or two might be interesting... stash away a bottle of cognac or some truffles... Smile
www.georgefledo.net

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24272 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Nice shop! I get good ideas everytime I see something like this.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Way to go George. Your shop looks great. There are some magic workshop discussions going on at http://www.pmzz.org/messages/index.php if you're interested.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2895 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Thanks much, tabman, I'll check it out.
www.georgefledo.net

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Nice layout you have there! Only thing missing is sawdust!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
It looks very nice. Your obviously a skilled worksman. Comgratulations.
Nick
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2895 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Michael and Nick--

Thanks so much... glad you like it. As for the sawdust -- it's there in piles when I'm working. Drop by sometime and I'll show ya... Smile

Funny thing, somebody wrote in to one of the woodworking mags a few months ago with a similar comment: "Hey, how come we never see any sawdust in your photos?" Sure enough, they've been showing the stuff ever since...
www.georgefledo.net

massimo
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of massimo
What tools are you adding. What do you plan on constructing. Do you plan on having a central vac? One of my favorite additon to my workshop was an air compressor to run air tools and blow out what the central vac missed. I mounted (via drilling two 4 inch deep 1 inch wide hole in crete floor, I had two very large eye bolts cryo-harden, put two nuts spaced out and creted them inthe holes) I ran chain through them and secured the compressor. I had two neighbors lose their compressor due to them just walking out of their shops. I ran a 1&1/2 inch copper tubing along wall out to the shop door. I stubbed it down to a 3/8s fitting in a 4inch length. This gives you high volume and high pressure at hose end. I also found that a spindle sander(with various sizes of sanding spindles) is very valuable to have. If you would like more ideas of what to have or wood choices just PM me and I would be happy to converse.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2895 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Thanks for your note, Massimo.

I'll mostly be building small props (I'm a set designer), stuff for around the house, a few pieces as illustrations for "how-to" articles in trade mags, and maybe some magic props. We just added a miter saw to the collection, and later I'll get a router and build a router table onto the table saw. I'm not looking at a central vac right now -- bought a nice Ridgid unit at Home Depot on sale, so I'm set for the time being -- but thanks so much for your ideas.

Best.
www.georgefledo.net

magicmanrob
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of magicmanrob
George this brings an interesting topic to the table and that being how to get the most out of your space when setting up your workshop. I too like you am using one side of a garage the space very similar to yours. I have a few more big pieces of equipment it would seem as I have a table saw, radial arm saw, Bench mounted 12 inch band saw, bench mounted drill press, jointer, planer , belt/disc sander, oscialating spindle/belt sander, latheand scroll saw. I also to keep the mess down have a dust collection system and air compressor mounted to operate as central and integrated to each piece of equipment. It has been a real chore to design a fully capable shop in such small an area. It can be done but I am always looking to streamline space in additional ways.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2895 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Yikes, you do have a lot of stuff! Smile

Woodworking magazines very often have articles on how to get the most out of a small shop, mostly featuring real shops used by real people, and I've found these very helpful. In my own case, I decided to double-stack things, i.e., the table saw and rolling tool chest being under the workbench/counter, and the new rolling unit I'll build to hold the benchtop band saw and drill press, plus the miter saw and scroll saw. I'm finalizing the design for this, and will put it on my workshop page when I'm done.

Since I have a rolling vac (which I named R2-D1), I'm designing the mini-lathe rolling stand so the vac can live under it, tucked against the wall. On top will be more pegboard. I keep thinking "submarine." Smile

Maybe we should start a new topic on this? You may also want to check out http://www.pmzz.org for more discussions.

Best.

Well, magicmanrob, you inspired me to do a little work on my rolling work center and drop a sketch into my workshop page: http://www.capital.net/~georgefl/workshop.

Feel free to borrow ideas if you want.
www.georgefledo.net

magicmanrob
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of magicmanrob
George you are thinkging just like me, infact I have a couple of stands equipped just like the one you have designed, every stand has multiple functions as either storage , i.e. drawers or cabinets, or as a second tool under or back to back. At one time I had a plan to make a tool stand that utilized a trianle shaped hub that would house three bench top tools but ended up scraping the idea because it would limit which tools couldn't be used at the same work session with out having problems
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2895 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Amazing how many of us think the same way!!! Smile

Best.
www.georgefledo.net

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » My new workshop in progress... check photos! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL