The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Homemade close up board (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Burrich
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Burrich
I made a new close up mat/board:

I used canvas that artists use for oil paintings, 18" x 24" that I had been using for some other things. We just got our pool table re-covered so I used the old felt from that for the top. For padding between the two surfaces I used some wadding (I think that's the stuff they put in pillows and dressing gowns). It made a very nice, large, green board which is pretty light and has quite a bit of give in it.

Just a tip for anyone who is interested in making one.
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
I made 3. I actually used a canvas and some of the foam with an adhesive back, both from Wal-Mart. I just wanted to make 'em, don't use 'em...but they do work well. They were 8" x 10", and worked well.

I like the idea of using padding between the two items. How does it work and feel for you?
If it is to be, it is up to me.
Burrich
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Burrich
At the start I thought it worked fine. I made the board mostly for the cups and balls. But after a while the curve that the wadding produced at the edges became a real hindrance. Any time the ball rolled forward it would roll straight off the table.

I received a mat from Bill Palmer along with Bazar de Magia brass cups and the mat is great. The bottom is not rubbery, it's slightly tacky though... kind of hard to explain... anyway it doesn't move at all on any surface I've tried it on.

The top is very smooth and is really a delight to work on for the cups and balls and the shell game also. Much better than my board. I'm going to see if I can get some more of it here and make a board with the same size piece of canvas.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Homemade close up board (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL