The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Shapeshifter dvd by Marc Desouza (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Quote:
On 2005-03-17 00:01, MagicChris wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-03-16 23:46, GeorgeSantos wrote:
A dvd for one move?

Ever hear of Richard kaufman On The Pass???
:rotf:

Ever hear of The Classic Pass, The Riffle Pass, The Jiggle Pass, Half A Jiggle Pass, Classic Pass False Cut, The Cover Pass, Herrmann Pass, Merlin's Herrmann Turnover Pass, Jacob Daley's Improved Herrmann Pass, The Double-Lift Shift, Steve Draun's Midnight Shift, The Half Pass? Not to mention that video also includes a bunch of classic tricks. McFly!

As for paying $25 plus postage for a color change and a few moves, to each his own. I think you can get Marc's book which teaches Shapeshifter as well as a bunch of other routines he uses on a daily basis to make a living. I think it's better way to spend your money. Milage may vary.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I do this move and really like it. But no way would I spend $25 on a video for it.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
jimisolo
View Profile
Regular user
League City, TX
110 Posts

Profile of jimisolo
Quote:
On 2005-03-28 10:13, cfrancis wrote:
I do this move and really like it. But no way would I spend $25 on a video for it.

So...what would you spend $25 on? A folding coin? Cigarette through coin? A Morgan silver dollar? An expanded shell? NFW? Ulti-Monte? etc, etc...

Sorry, this is NOT intended to pick on you specifically and I do not wish to offend anyone. I would just like to make a point about a far too common way of seeing things these days (again, in my most humble opinion). I spend $25 on a single tank of gas for crying out loud. All that aside, the DVD does not JUST show ONE move. (Please re-read that last sentence as many times as may be needed <lol>)

OK guys, here's the skinny:

To start with you get Marc DeSouza running down the complete history of the Shapeshifter move. Everything from how Oscar Munoz' original concept, to how Marc refined a few of the finer points for his own handling, Steve Beam publishing both moves in Trapdoor magazine (causing it to spread amongst the magic community - to the point that Alan Ackerman referred to it as the Beam move), and finally it being published in DeSouza's Deceptions. I'm not sure, but I think that pretty much covers crediting...so if we can move on.

Then you get a full segment on Marc's handling of Shapeshifter (how he gets "in", the actual mechanics he uses to perform the move flawlessly every time, and how he gets "out").

Next Marc teaches the Dribble Double. A wonderful method for getting "in" to Shapeshifter, but which can also be applied to many "double" situations.

After that Marc elaborates on his Cover Change. A nice concept whereby no finger movement is required at all to evince the change (a nice break from some of the "snap", "pivot", or "palm" changes that I've come across - he kept is simple, yet still very visual).

At this point, Marc teaches a routine based on a combination of the previous lessons. This is a tidy way of Marc demonstrating his "real world" application of these concepts, and makes for a cool double-phased routine.

Marc goes on from that to teach his New Theory Change. This is actually a fairly standard color change, but Marc has included a couple of very important details that he has discovered over the years to heighten the impact by creating greater retention of vision.

The next two moves Marc illustrates are the Paul LePaul Sidesteal and the Erdnase Palm Shift. He then teaches these so he can show you a couple of his favorite controls and a variation on each that allows for alternate location of the controlled card. I'll tell you right now that learning the Erdnase Palm Shift from DeSouza on video is a good deal easier than learning it from Erdnase's text. I don't mean this in a "lazy" way, I mean this in an, "ohhhh...THAT'S exactly what it is supposed to look like" way.

Marc then does his wrap-up and Brad Christian comes on and goes through why his version is slightly different, and some of his thoughts on practice technique, patience, and muscle memory. I thought that what he had to say on muscle memory was some of the most encouraging and succinct that I have ever heard on the subject. I wish that all beginners in magic could hear his advice given there as it might just serve to actually get them to take it a bit slower, AND be alright with the process taking a bit longer.

Anyway...moving on, Brad then takes you through his handling of Shapeshifter step by step (followed by all the reverse angles that we all can appreciate for proper hand/finger placements and movement). Let me just say here that no matter what else anyone has to say about Mr. Christian...the guy can flat out teach. He has a knack for covering the finest of details and getting across exactly the types of things that one is usually left kind of wondering about with other instructional videos. He has a likeable persona and keeps one eager to learn more. But I digress. Before moving on I would just like to add that his technique for getting "in" to the move is a very nice touch, and the tip he gives for getting "out" adds a great subtle convincer to the whole process.

Brad then teaches an effect, utilizing the Shapeshifter move, in which Black Tiger cards can be incorporated called 'Gypsy Burn'. This is a pretty cool effect in and of itself, but I think the real value lies in getting people to think outside of the box, come up with their own variations, and keep the creative juices flowing.

Finally Brad wraps the whole thing up and you come to one of the hottest topics around - the ALIUN Levitation preview. I do not own either the Elevator, nor the Elevator 2, but it has been assured that this is not either one of those - so I, for one, will grant them the benefit of the doubt. What I saw was this (in a nutshell): A guy walks up to some people, slowly rises into the air (I'd say about 3-5 inches), maintains the levitation as he slowly rotates 90 degrees, slowly decends, and walks away clean (even having his shoes inspected by one amazed spectator). That's it. That's what I saw. Granted their were several different cut away shots utilized to get all of this. By that I mean that they edited clips of several different performances together to weave together an overall picture of what takes place. Most of the shots were either of the performer as they were maintaining the levitation, turning during the levitation, or of the various spectator's reactions. Still, extremely inticing.

The overall production quality of the DVD is top notch. The camera work, the lighting, the sound and music - all of it, stands head and shoulders above most of the instructional videos currently on the market (even the packaging is quite elegant). So there are no problems in any of those departments either.

In addition to all of the above, there is, of course, the Shapeshifter DVD forum where you can go to discuss any troubles you might be having with any of the material covered on the DVD and converse freely about any creative concepts pertaining to the material that you may have (or that others are working on and have started threads for).

So now, hopefully, everyone has a better idea of what you're getting for your $25 (+ shipping). No, you don't get a gimmick, a gaff, or some type of mechanized device, but you do get everything mentioned above. So tell me, if you had gone through the millions of minor (and major) details entailed in order to put a project like this together (even just based off of my general discription above)...how much would YOU charge per DVD? Less than what you can buy the movie 'White Chicks' for at Blockbusters? I certainly hope not. Smile
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
[/quote]

So...what would you spend $25 on? [/quote]

Like I said, Marc's book that teaches this colorchange IN ADDITION to a bunch of his other routines. His material is great and I think a lot of people would like the book and you get a lot more for your money in my opinion. I'm glad you're happy with your DVD though Smile
vootrage
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of vootrage
Jimisolo- you have a good point in saying that this video should cost more than a friggin movie at blockbuster. If you really think about it. 25 dollars is not too bad to learn 4 very useful moves and one trick. Anyone else agree or disagree?

I think that ellusionist is starting to learn from their previous mistakes and is trying to please people by giving credit to the originators.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
To have someone of Marc DeSouza's calibre teaching is well worth the price. Imagine what a private lesson would cost?
~Joe
Shnarker
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh, PA
89 Posts

Profile of Shnarker
Quote:
On 2005-03-28 10:13, cfrancis wrote:

Cfrancis,

If card magic is your passion, reconsider your decision. I was fortunate to see Marc lecture last year. Shapeshifter was part of his lecture. He was very detailed in his presentation/explanation. If it has Marc's name on it, I assure you it will be top shelf and worth your while. He is a phenominal teacher, and a gentleman to boot.
AaronShields
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of AaronShields
You also have the remember that the target audience for the ellusionist products is not the same audience that camirand academy (the publisher of marc's book) or any of the major publishers are targeting.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
QUOTE [I spend $25 on a single tank of gas for crying out loud]

Good job you don't live in the UK then. It would be double. LOL
GraemeCraig
View Profile
New user
Canada
27 Posts

Profile of GraemeCraig
I believe someone asked why Ellusionist decided to make a DVD about Shapeshifter. I think it was greatly influenced by their forums. There were countless (probbaly over 50) thread asking about it, they might have just gotten fed up and decided to made one to stop the threads coming in. They also carry Desouza's Deceptions book as well, which teaches Shapeshifter.
Graeme-
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
The book has a nice version of Travelers with a repeat. MUCH easier to do then Jenning's original version.
big dan
View Profile
Regular user
UK/Canada/New Zealand
178 Posts

Profile of big dan
One of the reasons Ellusionist decided to release this DVD is that it was a move that everybody wanted to learn but could never find, so inevitably newbies would end up figuring out the basic mechanics and start performing some pretty horrible Shapeshifters. The move itself is quite knacky and so a video explanation would have been more helpful than DeSouza's book, and add to that his book isn't that easy to get hold of.

So for E it makes sense to release a DVD on a move that all the members are clamouring to learn. It makes E money and keeps the punters happy.

It may be $25 to learn one move, but you get to learn it properly with all the nuances and the get-ins and get-outs that make Shapeshifter the miracle that it can be in the right hands.

all the best

dan
Some people work to ski....i ski to work!
The_Shadow
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of The_Shadow
It is a visually stunning effect but I think the DVD could have been improved with more content. That said I really enjoy peforming this move because of the reactions you get from it!!
shane_delon
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of shane_delon
I have to ask what the difference is between what Marc DeSouza calls shapeshifter and Oscar's color change...or is there a difference?
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
Quote:
I have to ask what the difference is between what Marc DeSouza calls shapeshifter and Oscar's color change...or is there a difference?

The mechanics of shapeshifting are almost the same in fact really the same as Oscar's Color Change but Marc has improved it with a different handling and an economy of moves......

With Oscar's you can't do it with just holding the deck in mechanics grip and hand over the newly transformed card after doing the move, but with marc's modification you CAN.

Brad also discusses muscle memory and compares learning this move to physical therapy.... there are also secrets like NOT pulling up with your right hand (if you are left handed) and releasing your left second finger a SPLIT-SECOND before your thumb.... it differs from Marc's because Marc's has a telegraphed flexing action before the actual move.

Marc also teaches the COVER CHANGE, a move that's very similar to the shapeshifter and totally hidden because the fingers don't move at all..... he also teaches the LePaul Side Steal and the Longitudinal Palm Shift (Erdnase)

Brad's subtle application of the move in his Gypsy routine is neat, but you DON'T have to use a black deck (product placement in here) instead you can use a blue card against red backs or vice versa.... and if you have this DVD - if you find the overhand shuffle force a little too awkward to do (which I feel), use the Slip-Cut force instead Smile

Ciao.
I would, however contest that there is in REALITY very little pportunity to perform what could actually be termed "close-up" magic.
- Guy Hollingworth
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Shapeshifter dvd by Marc Desouza (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL