The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Is 'Too Much' Patina Dangerous? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24264 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Not all paint removers are toxic. The citrus based removers are non-toxic if used as indicated on the labels. Also, most lacquers will come off if you use the "non-toxic" nail polish remover pads.

However, if you want it to actually work within a reasonable amount of time, a good gel paint remover is probably the ticket. You must work outdoors with these, and dispose of them correctly.

Be careful with Renaissance Wax. It comes in different versions over here. Some of them have metallic particles of various types in them to add coloring to the surfaces. You don't want these.

Get the transparent clear wax. Or you can get a good paste automotive wax with no cleaner in it. Make sure it is mainly carnauba wax. This will stop the patinization of the metal.

On the other hand, once the metal reaches a certain point, it will not darken any further, and you won't need to wax it. See the Charlie Miller cups and the Stubby cups in the cups and balls museum.

There are two non-wax finishes that you can use that are quite durable. One is clear Krylon® spray epoxy. You can get this from some paint shops. Wear a breathing mask (not a particle mask) when you use it. You can also get a brush-on clear epoxy paint from model builders shops. You will want to thin this using their proprietary thinner. I have several sets of cups in my collection that have the Rings 'n' Things "Magipoxy" finish. This is the strongest finish there is. period.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Is 'Too Much' Patina Dangerous? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL