The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Barnum Never Said It (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2905 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Here is another gratuitous post in my quest to out post the Joeys over in Carnival of Fun.

"There's a sucker born every minute." Phineas Taylor Barnum never said it. Here's the story.

One of the great hoaxes of all time was the Cardiff Giant. The giant was found in 1869, buried on farm outside of Cooperstown, NY. It was the large oversized stone human figure that was said to be the remains of an earlier race of people. People flocked to see it.

When Barnum heard about it,and all the money it was making, he tried to buy it. The owners turned him down. Barnum had his own giant made, put it on display, claimed his was the original and the other giant a fake. The owners of the Cardiff Giant tried to sue Barnum. One of the owners, David Hannum said, "Barnum must think there is a sucker born every minute." At the trial it was revealed the original Cardiff Giant was a fake and the case was dismissed. Somehow, the quote was attached to Barnum.

The Cardiff giant is still on display (and still making money) at the farm museum up in Cooperstown, NY.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
It is interesting to note that Barnum himself...like me and most other showmen of strange things were the ones 'born every minute'. We spend small fortunes on things we get suckered into...2 Headed Pigs and bizarre artifacts. We are the First Suckered....and then just want to spread the joy and share the wonder.

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
docdazzal
View Profile
Veteran user
San Tan Valley, AZ
338 Posts

Profile of docdazzal
I have to agree with Doug...I remember when I first received my Atomic Fish, I was so excited about it that I couldn't sleep...I actually got up at around 2 in the morning and started writing down all the different ways I could exhibit my new "wonder" and add it to my show. Then...a couple of weeks later Doug sent me a grind pitch he put together for my new Atomic Fish...and the very samething happened again! Of course, my family dosen't at all understand, me or my sense of excitement...but whatever "bug" I have...I hope to God I never lose it...it's the only thing between me and the now...and me and a glorious future!

Catch Ya On the Midway!
Doc Dazzal
Dr. Dan
Psychic & Paranormal Entertainment
www.drdanandco.com
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Hi, my name is Paul, and I have a Sideshow Problem...

(It's OK, Paul, one day at a time...)

When I found the Feejee Mermaid, I spent two months kneeling on the floor in my basement painting a banner in the style of Botticelli's Birth of Venus. I bought a display case and built a display stand, and painted a couple more banners...

(We've all been there, it's OK...)

You can't sell what you don't believe in!

Yours,

Paul
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
"You can't sell what you don't believe in!"

You got that right!
That's why when I make a piece for a showman/woman I will not send pictures of the finished attraction. I want them to open the box and see it for the first time just like their customers will and remember it clearly. It is the only moment the showperson will have to do that....that way, when it gets 'old' they can remember the moment and see it with their own fresh eyes and remember how they were 'taken in' by that first look.

And thanks Doc Dazzal...I've gotten a lot of reactions like that...I've always worried about being sued for causing insomnia in my buyers. Smile

Matter of fact...I'm hand delivering a Fegee Mermaid in about an hour and will have it in a beautiful antique case before showing it to him...so he will get the real impact as if he paid the admission...of course, he did.

We're all just big kids full of wonder and we love to share the fun!

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
"it's the only thing between me and the now...and me and a glorious future!"

Doc, that's a GREAT quote!

-Matt (TK)
docdazzal
View Profile
Veteran user
San Tan Valley, AZ
338 Posts

Profile of docdazzal
Thank You Matt (TK)...

Please feel free to use it...and may you experience much success and prosperity.

Best Regards,
Doc Dazzal
Dr. Dan
www.drdanandco.com
oscarquella
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of oscarquella
You learn something new every day. I read that Adam Forepaugh attributed that to Barnum.

P.S. I'm having a little boy in a few months. His name? Phineas! (but without an exclamation mark.)
docdazzal
View Profile
Veteran user
San Tan Valley, AZ
338 Posts

Profile of docdazzal
Congratulations Oscarquella...

May Phineas bring to the world even more of what his namesake was able to do. Your Phineas will have the great future of the 21st Century to influence...may he do so in a grand manner!

May all the good things of the Universe come to you and yours under grace and in perfect ways.

See Ya On the Midway,
Doc Dazzal
Dr. Dan
www.drdanandco.com
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
380 Posts

Profile of atucci
Somewhere I've heard an add on to the phrase (There's a sucker born every minute......and two to take him!) Any idea of the orgin or am I hallucinating again?
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
No, I've also heard that. But only more recently.

Anyone happen to know anything about this one?

-Matt (TK)
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3608 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Did you say that"YOU" are having a baby????
If so please contact me,,,I shall get the banners made up and we shall both make a killing !!
oscarquella
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of oscarquella
No, we were beat to it. Haven't you seen that Arnold Schwarznagger movie?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Barnum Never Said It (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL