The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Strangest Chop Ball Problem I Have Ever Seen (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I recently received a very nice set of 4 balls from one of most reputable dealers/makers around. One of them was chopped. As I was practicing tonight, I noticed a strange sound. I picked up one of the balls and I heard it again.

When I shook the ball, the sh*m shook back and forth inside the ball! Made a loud noise too, considering how small the ball is. Tilt the ball one way, you hear the sh*m slide over, and vice versa.

I'll be exchanging them, of course, but was curious to know what interesting/similar kinds of situations have happened to you with chopped balls.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24262 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That is really strange. If the ball has a hole in it that the item can slide in, you might need to jam a toothpick in between the wall of the hole and the item. Use a toothpick to support from the other side.

These things can happen even in the nicest families!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I heard a chop cup once that rattled. Too bad it wasn't similar enough to the sound made by a ball being shaken inside!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-03-15 09:30, Michael Baker wrote:
I heard a chop cup once that rattled. Too bad it wasn't similar enough to the sound made by a ball being shaken inside!

~michael
Michael, you just gave the makers of chop cups an idea Smile
Combine the normal chop cup with a rattle gimmick!

This will 'immitade' a non existing ball inside, one can supposingly let it fall into the hand as usual, it vanishes completey, and immediately thereafter the cup can be turned opening towards the specs..
Thereafter the ball is taken from the pocket.

Unfortunately tough to produce a such cup, as the gimmick should be inside the cup, the sound equal to a ball rattling and one should be able easily to dísloge and arret the rattle.
Too many claims.. Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Unfortunately, the crochet is so beautiful and so tightly woven I would probably ruin the material if I tried to alter it.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24262 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's bad news. Send the offending balls back. Send the whole set, so they can make sure you get a match.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
I just got some BEAUTIFUL felt chop balls that work w/ my cup perfectly - not to strong or weak -- check out Frank Starsini's site....
http://www.theambitiouscard.com
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
294 Posts

Profile of geemack
As you've noticed there is a hole drilled through the cork ball and the gimmick is slipped into the hole. The gimmick is shorter than the hole, so it has some room to move either way, but should fit pretty tightly in the hole. Your gimmick is too loose, and as suggested, you should return the balls for replacement. Return the whole set as Bill advised.

But... many years ago I learned this method of construction can be used to our advantage to fine tune the power of the ball. You can slide the gimmick one way or the other inside the ball by slipping a pin between the yarn of the crochet and giving it a push. With the gimmick closer to one end it will attract more readily, and with it closer to the other end it will dislodge more easily. This lets you tune the ball to work best with your cup and your handling of the routine.

I recently talked with one of the staff at Rings and Things II and was told they intend to provide this sort of instruction with the crocheted balls they sell. So the fact that the gimmick can be moved in that hole, with a bit of force applied, isn't completely wrong. However, the amount of movement in your particular ball is.

Greg
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Inject a little glue with a hypodermic needle and syringe.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Geemack - funny you should mention RNT2....

;^)

I suppose I could let the gimmick slide all the way over to one end, and then slide a pin through the cork, "pinning" the gimmick to one side. Might give that a try.

Kirk - the glue/hypo is an interesting idea, but if I accidentally ruin the ball I wouldn't be able to return it.
jasonmagic
View Profile
New user
Jason Magic Productions (Martinsburg,WV)
64 Posts

Profile of jasonmagic
One of my chop cup rattles. It didn't rattle at first, but I guess over time it started. I am considering getting an another one to replace it. Any ideas?

Jason
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Any chance it sounds like a ball being shaken inside? Smile

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Strangest Chop Ball Problem I Have Ever Seen (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL