The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » must read requirement » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
When I joined the Cafe months ago, one of the things I did was to visit the FAQ's and the Cafe etiquette sections. Since then, I've seen countless questions about the ranks, how to get into the banquet room etc. I was just wondering if maybe before a username and password could be activated, those two areas were somehow programmed as "must reads". Just an idea.

Dave
Where the magic begins
Mya Angel
View Profile
Special Assistant
California
1396 Posts

Profile of Mya Angel
I don't know how we could enforce it, we could make a page members would have to go to before they could enter the Cafe. But if they didn't want to read it, all they would have to do would be skip over it. Smile

Mya
Smile
There is nothing that remains so constant as change. Don't end up like concrete, all mixed up and permanently set. Smile

He who slings mud will surely lose ground.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Thanks Mya: you're right. I think I'd probably do the same thing figuring I'd come back to the page later to read it. Besides, answering the question for new members gives us old veterans a chance to show how much we know about the Cafe. LOL Smile

Dave
Where the magic begins
Winston
View Profile
New user
UK
12 Posts

Profile of Winston
I am not saying that to enforce reading the FAQ and etiquette pages is a good or bad idea.

But one way to enforce it if you so wished, would be to have new members answer a few questions that relate to it (ie a test) before joining.

Just a thought.

Bye

PS. I didn't read it either on joining, but after discovering how well this board was operated compared to others, I did go back and check them out
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Some of the FAQ information could easily be added to the terms page you see when you initially register to sign up...
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
Steven the Amusing
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco Bay Area
117 Posts

Profile of Steven the Amusing
I saw a software license screen that was pretty cute. It was about 4 pages long and at the bottom it said "Click Here To Confirm You Agree" (and of course "Click Here if you Don't Agree).

If you clicked the agree button right away it was pop-up with a message:

Did you REALLY read this whole agreement in 1.5 seconds? Did you catch the part where you forfeit a kidney if you break the rule (paragraph 12.b.1)? And do you still agree?

Another means is to embed a word or a phrase that has to be typed near the "agree" button.

Not saying that the above is a good idea, but the "you read this in XX seconds" might be fun.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Steven: I've never seen that pop up but it does sound cute.

Dave
Where the magic begins
Mya Angel
View Profile
Special Assistant
California
1396 Posts

Profile of Mya Angel
Smile I like that idea, I'll talk to Steve about it. Thanks Steven! Smile

Mya
Smile
There is nothing that remains so constant as change. Don't end up like concrete, all mixed up and permanently set. Smile

Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Of course, there could be an exam-like precursor to recieving full access to the forum.

tak the top ten most asked questions, and make a test out of it.

Just a thought. It's easy for me to formulate since I have no implemetation responsibility.
Mya Angel
View Profile
Special Assistant
California
1396 Posts

Profile of Mya Angel
Smile At this point I'd just settle for a spelling test! Smile

Mya
Smile

Steven the Amusing
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco Bay Area
117 Posts

Profile of Steven the Amusing
But were al ecelent spellars arent we?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Now Steven: if we were all excellent spellers, we wouldn't need a grammar hostess like Mya would we? That wouldn't be a good thing. We'd all miss her.

Dave
Where the magic begins
Mya Angel
View Profile
Special Assistant
California
1396 Posts

Profile of Mya Angel
Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » must read requirement » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL