The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Zig Zag : the tickle box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
My cabinet is being re-built, after several large mistakes by my former builder. My new builder says having a tickle box, that tiny door in the center part, is very annoying. It causes more problems. I like the idea of having one, but I don't know what problems may come up because of it.
What do you all think? Is a tickle box a real pain to have in your zig zag? Shoould I do without one?? The only problem I can think of is matching the fabric of the assistant's outfit. Are there other problems?
Wes
"Macho Magic"
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
You need to see the orginal presentation of The Zig-Zag lady by Robert Harbin. The way it is presented, is the way it should be presented by all magicians, and yes, the tickle box is necessary in the CORRRECT presentation.

Rick
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The only conceivable problem might be if the hinge stuck out too far to bypass the left upright support. That can be remedied with a builder who is neither inept nor lazy.

I made my tickle box door from a piece of thin aluminum (scraps from a trophy shop!). It is cut proportionately larger than the opening (the front opening, not what's behind), and is attached with a small narrow section of a piano hinge. It lays over the opening, rather than being inset.

The hinge is attached with pop rivets to both the door of the tickle box, and the center section's front panel (the one that does extra work). The hinge is attached to the front of the panel, and the rear of the door, although the hinge is laying open flat when the tickle box door is closed. The hinge closes when the door is being opened. (If that doesn't make sense, PM me with your email address, and I will send you a diagram.)

Attach the rivets from the back, so as to have minimal protrusion from them on that side. Use back-up plates (the little accompanying washers) so the rivet will have something to grab. (The hinge screw holes will be too large.) If you feel they stick out a bit too far in front when finished, peen them down with a hammer. Just be careful that you don't peen a bow into the hinge or the doors.

I have nothing to hold the door closed except normal friction from the hinge. It works just fine.

As Rick indicated, you'll want that feature in the illusion. It's a very strong convincer.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Quote:
On 2005-03-15 13:40, ricker wrote:
You need to see the orginal presentation of The Zig-Zag lady by Robert Harbin. The way it is presented, is the way it should be presented by all magicians, and yes, the tickle box is necessary in the CORRRECT presentation.

Rick

I don't agree, it is for this reason that their are way too many clones. We get a lot of stick because magicians perform this tricks identically to the other guys. DON'T. You have to be unique and original. If you lke the idea of a tickle box and have a presentation to match then it's fine to include.
Nick
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Nick,

I haven't seen anyone (except myself) perform the Zig-Zag like the creator, Robert Harbin, did. Most do not perform it like Harbin, so it's not the 'puzzle' as he created it to be.

See the Harbin video and read the presentation in The Magic Of Robert Harbin, and you'll see why other magicians don't present it correctly.

Everytime I perform it using the Harbin presentatation, it astounds..
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
Hey Guys;
Our routine is basically the same structure as Harbin's with a few twists. For us the tummy door is vital! Without it you are loosing a great deal of possible affect that could be effected. (hope that makes sense). Definatly an asset that we couldn't live without.

Matt
massimo
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of massimo
Ah so true, the tummy door is a real crowd pleaser(sells the trick). Mr. Baker is truly a craftmans. I have been building for 40 years and I thought I was the only one to use a metal door. He is giving you some of the secrets f building. To prevent bowing the door, while peening, use a anvil like backup and secure it to it. I found an old stage curtain weight (around 30 lbs) it is the greatest thing to pound out dents, peen rivets and etc. Listen to Mr. Baker
redwine
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of redwine
Years ago we built a few Zig-Zags and we always put the tickle box in a position so the girls forearm stand in for her tummy. Then if you use the Harbin routine the spectator can feel her stomach.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Zig Zag : the tickle box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL