We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Parrot from Sketch Pad by Puck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2231 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Effect: Magician walks on stage carrying a sketch pad. This is similar to the Kevin James Bowl-a-Rama effect but a parrot is produced instead of a Bowling Ball. I just wonder if that harness is strong enough to handle the destructiveness of a cockatoo. Looks like a good idea. Any reactions?
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7544 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Dan Sperris does a similar effect with a dove. I would think the harness would have to be pretty strong and durable for the big bird.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2231 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I just don't understand why the Kevin James method had to be used. A cockatoo weighs five times much less than a bowling ball. The harness can be just attached at the back of the pad similar to the coloring book in the Dave Womach parakeet production method. It even costs more than the Bowl-a-Rama at $750. It's US$995. Wow!
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
452 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Shouldn't Kevin be selling this? Seems to me it would be stealing, if the only thing being changed is what's being produced. Lou, I'd contact Kevin James, and see if he'll make you one, or find out if he knows that Puck is selling this. I'm sure he'll respect your loyalty and ethics if you approached him about this issue. That's my 2 cents... here's his address.

magickjames@hotmail.com

Dave
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Yes, Puck did mention Kevin given the Thumb Up (OK) sign.

But I don't quite like this effect because a Macaw will be more powerful. He uses a cockatoo (smaller). Secondly, from the video, there isn't much audience reaction. Thirdly, the handling is the same as the Bowling pad, movement all the same. It seems odd to me. The bowling ball seems a better reaction in this case, not mentioning the price tag.

With this $, I will buy a Dove to Cockatoo or Blammo version by Chalet (AKA dove to dog). In my view it is even more powerful and no worrying about angle problem, not mentioning is 1/2 time cheaper too Smile

Hope this helps Smile
doveboy
allan31
View Profile
Regular user
everywhere
176 Posts

Profile of allan31
Hi !

I own the original Kevin'Bowl-a-rama and also have a bird act. I tried the effect with my umbrella cockatoo 2 years ago and the reaction of the audience was not really as good as with the bowling ball. With the appearance of the ball, it's a shock for the audience...great!!! For the audience, it's more difficult to conceal a ball which is big and has some weight than a bird...
Perhaps you could make appear the ball and after the bird!!! Why not?
And the price is very high...
best regards
allan
puckmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, Florida
261 Posts

Profile of puckmagic
Hello all,

I read all of the comments on my Parrot from Sketch Pad. First off I am offended that anyone would even consider that I didn't have permission to market the effect. (Mr. Womach) I have worked for the Denny and Lee magic shop for many years and have a firm understanding of ethics. Second if you read the ads it clearly states that it is 100% approved by Kevin. I actually send him a royalty fee on every unit sold. So stop it!

Second I have gotten great reactions at magic conventions, Monday Night Magic, The Magic Castle, and so forth and so on with the Sketch Pad Production. The same reactions were seen at my fortune five hundred shows, cruise ships, and my school assembly programs. If you watch the video you will hear the entire room gasp at the production of the bird. If you know anything about magic a gasp is an untrained reaction of surpise. This is exactly what us as magicians should be going for with our magic. Kevins bowling ball is the perfect opener. I used it for three years and love it. I only converted his concept to use my parrot in the show without having to set up an entire dove act. I did it and it works very well.

My pad is completely re designed from Kevins. If you knew how hard they were to make as well as how many hours it took you would understand the price. The biggest thing about my pad is that the bird walks up and out of the pad on his own. This is what makes the illusion work so well. A lot of thought, and years of performance have gone into this effect. Those of you who do not make a living from doing magic will not like the price. I totally understand. For those of you who make a living doing magic you should know that it is a drop in the bucket for an effect like this if you are making any real money with your shows.

I am sorry if I sound ****ed off but I thought that I was doing something nice by offering a signature piece from my show to the magic community. I am usually a very easy person to get along with. But if you judge my ethics I will be forced to defend my charecter.

Thank you,
Puck
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
Hey guys;

Well for me it isn't all that bad of an effect! There aren't all that many effects out there for larger birds. I was wondering though, could you combine the ball and bird? Produce the bird, then as a surprise climax the ball? Just a thought.

Magically yours,

Matt Kielbiski
puckmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, Florida
261 Posts

Profile of puckmagic
Hi Matt,

I think that us as magicians are always trying to build on to our basic routines. Sometimes in the process we lose our audiences though. There is really no relationship between a bowling ball, and a parrot. I think that it would be overkill. There is the theory of doing your magic in three's. That is good if they all grow out of each other. That means one climax helping to build the next for one gigantic ending all related.

Anyway, in my opinion it should be a stand alone effect doing either the Bowlarama, or Parrot from Sketch Pad. Remember the age old saying KISS ( Keep it simple stupid ) And I am not saying that you are stupid, it's just a saying that I like to follow. Keeping it simple allows us to focus on more important things like showmanship.

Thanks, and good luck,
Puck
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
Puck,

Point well made.

Matt
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I saw the words PARROT and SKETCH in the same line, and I immediately thought of Monty Python's dead parrot sketch.

He's not pining for the fjords! He's not pinin' for anything! THIS IS AN EX PARROT!

Anyone?
JamieLeigh
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of JamieLeigh
That's funny that Puck mentions his ads, I haven't seen them. What magazine is it in? I did a search and couldn't find it online either. Does he have a demo of this trick online? I'd be interested in seeing it performed. I'm not so sure that it would really get the reaction that the bowling ball does.

J
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
You can see it on http://www.hocus-pocus.com
Nick
JamieLeigh
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of JamieLeigh
It looks good. Thank you for giving me the link. I'm not so sure that it's worth $1,000. Does anyone have this? Can you leave any feedback about it? I would really like to hear the pros and cons about this product. Anything would help.

J
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
1) Having worked with birds quite a bit, I can appreciate the difficulties in making this effect. Producing any of the hook beaked birds is quite a challenge. They don't like being restrained like doves and are quite vocal if they are annoyed.

2) I think this sounds like a very good piece and quite a departure from box effects. My initial thought on this was that it would have to be a major departure from Kevin James' method to hold a hook beaked bird. As to reaction from the audience, I think it would get an excellent reaction if done correctly and a good way to work in a climax to a bird act besides the dove table vanish.

3) As to price point, I don't know why people assume the cost of the prop should relate to the cost of the materials. If I buy a prop, I may spend extra just to know I have something the newbies aren't buying to expose at the next magic club meeting.
JamieLeigh
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of JamieLeigh
It isn't that I'm assuming anything. I really think it could be a nice affect, but I didn't feel like it was worth the money. I'm not against paying for the secret, even if it's the technique of folding a silk that makes a trick amazing... I think this trick seems good, but not amazing. Maybe I'm being too critical. Don't get me wrong, I like the effect. My thoughts are that it would be a little better if it was a few hundred less.

J
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
The problem I have with this is that I already get great reactions with Bowl O Rama and obviously this would have to replace this.

If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Nick
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Puck's trick is great! Seen it and it got a great reaction. Sure it is expensive but if one buy it you are getting a pcs straight from a professional act.

In way that is good that it is priced high. You don't want everyone buying it. This price I think is set for the busy performer. As for the difference in this and bowling ball and would say it is two different reactions.

Once the ball is produced it falls out (killer) then you roll it off stage. . .end of routine. With this you produce to the bird and then to have him fly out into the audience just above their heads. What a way to get their attention.

I use a Showtech to control my music during my show. I bought this well over 10 years ago @ $1700.00 , my wife flipped out. But looking back it was the best investment I ever made for my shows. Now I own two of them. So look at it as an investment.

Best,
Ken Scott
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2231 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Keep in mind that this is designed for a medium sized parrot. I don't think a parrot such as a macaw can be used. Aside from that, the parrot should already be well trained to hide inside a harness or parrot holder.
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Quote:
On 2005-04-17 09:35, kenscott wrote:
As for the difference in this and bowling ball and would say it is two different reactions.

They may be different but you can't do them together. Although both effects are great, they are to similar. Would it really make sense to produce the bowlin ball. Then pput down and pick up another pad idebtiacla to the last and repeat the effect with a parrot.

There are 2 problems, firstly the use of 2 pads would be very pointless and you have lost the suprise factor. They have a fair idea as to what will happen and it does. They work on a similar principle or so I understand so give the audience 2 chances to spot the method.

My point was that if you already get good reactions with an effect, possibly great reactins why would you want to replace it. Intead try to think of another method using the bird. There are lots of other alternatives.
Nick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Parrot from Sketch Pad by Puck (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL