The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » If you could would you like to live forever? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
O.K. then you CAN get hurt really bad, even permanently, just you'll live forever. This should make any activity VERY exciting.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
I ponder this...living well past youe time is not right...let me guess...the poster who posted this is suffering from a midlife crisis???

I could be wrong , but oh well...hell.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2005-03-23 23:48, Josh Riel wrote:
O.K. then you CAN get hurt really bad, even permanently. . . .

Let me get this straight: this is supposed to make me want to live forever?
Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Grimm
There are also plenty of biological practical reasons that you shouldn't live forever. There may not be "meaning" in things inherently, but nature doesn't act idly.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2005-03-24 00:57, johnnymystic wrote:
I ponder this...living well past youe time is not right...let me guess...the poster who posted this is suffering from a midlife crisis???

I could be wrong , but oh well...hell.

johnny

Midlife crisis? Not in the least. Since the age of forty my life has been getting better and better and since the birth of my Daughter my life has been and is GREAT!
I am just getting back into practicing my Magic after a very long (and unexplainable) period of not performing and hope to do some Birthday parties for my Daughter and Nieces & Nephew's.
Since the age of 4 I have been very interested in the concept of Life and Death and that interest has never left me.
As I stated before, I do not have any fear of Death but dying is something that I have a little fear of since it is different for all of us and the ease of which we slip into the great unknown is also different for all of us.
What little fear I have of dying is not something I think about very often so it is not something that interferes with my mental state or my ability to get on with my happy life.
If I have any real fears it is for the safety and security of my Daughter and other Loved ones and all I really want for myself is to be around long enough to see my Daughter become self dependent but I won't balk at living to a grand old age as long as my mental state is intact (Alzheimer’s is probably my own worst fear).
I make no apologies for my curiosity of Life and Death and I find it hard to fathom that there are many people who don't seem to share this curiosity (maybe they are the ones that are fearful?).
There are some fantastic responses to this post and a few of you have made some observations that I have missed and for that I once again Thank You All for your insightful postings Smile

"I ponder this...living well past your time is not right"

Who decides what is right or wrong? The individual? The Church? Society? Government?
Maybe for you it is not right, Maybe for other's it is not right but I let my conscious dictate what is right or wrong for me.
I have done wrong in the past and I may do wrong in the future but there never was a time that my conscious did not warn me before the fact and after the fact that I was wrong. I made the choice to do right or wrong full well knowing what the score was.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On 2005-03-24 02:00, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

I doubt many people would want to live forever under these circumstances, but it would make eternity interesting. I was only joking though.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Law
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Law
Quote:
On 2005-03-23 21:47, travisb wrote:
It's never been done.

How do you know?
;)
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Death is for loozzeerrss!
Dud stuff happens, that's cool. People die, that's cool too!
Understand your place and it is cool.

How boring too live FOREVER in the same dosile form we are in. If we all stay the same then how can we evolve to meet new challenges?

I would opt for total genetic manipulation without boundry. I would advocate the transformation of our DNA into something that we hold the future of.

Clone a new body every 30 years, so you are never over 30. Transfer your mind into a giant computer, and live as a subroutine forever. Release your mind into another state of awareness, where the physical dimension is obtuse.

Anything but being stuck like this.

Give me the wings of eagles, the gills of fish, the eyesight of a chameleon, the mind of ten people. the ability to live on an airless planet with low gravity, bathed in a sun eighty million light years from earth.

Give me any of those things but to stay the same forever.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2005-03-24 11:43, Josh Riel wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-03-24 02:00, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

I was only joking though.

So was I. Smile
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
It seems to me that we have all experienced being dead. Weren't we in a dead state before our conception?
If we were dead before this life and we go back to being dead after this life it seem reasonable that we may return to life again and again for all eternity.
My simple logic just tells me that anything that can happen one time can be repeated given enough time.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Toasty
View Profile
New user
Wales
36 Posts

Profile of Toasty
Quote:
On 2005-03-18 16:52, Jaz wrote:
And the earth was gone,
the earthling floated in the void,
alone
forever.

What's that a quote from Jaz? I agree with you. Longer would be nice, enough to see changes and development. On the otherhand, we each have our time, and it's up to us to make the best of it. This is our time, so if we lived forever, wouldn't we lose the novelty of life? I think some people are already losing that novelty. It's a shame.
If you live with a purpose, and achieve that purpose in your life, whos to say you needed any longer??
Ben
life is magical-in one way or another...
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
If those who I loved, lived forever too. And if I could do magic forever.
Oh, and if I was happy, sure.
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Hell NO...once around is more than enough for me...
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I really liked Moonlit Knight's response. It was well thought out.

One really could do the sword thru neck, Head chopper, Sawing in half and a dozen of death effects without dying.

There has been numerous movies about this. You would be sought by many for your blood and body parts. Cool because you can't die, you'd be rich.

Seriously, I'd be curious about the future, do not fear death (been close to it many times in Vietnam & Firefighting) When my times comes, I might want to live, but will my attitudes change, beliefs change, etc. with the times.

In the "Passions of Christ" Mel Gibson movie, he made it clear how vicious the Roman Soliders were. Today, such action would put someone in the looney bin or at least a prison cell. My beliefs might not change 1,000 years in the future and I would be alive but an out-cast.

To many restrictions.
Dennis Michael
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
No. If it were possible to plan these things, I'd like for me and those I love (and will love) to live to a ripe old age, but me living forever, no. Thanks for offering Smile.

As for the opportunities afforded by immortality, you needn't be stuck in 'Groundhog Day' to learn to sculpt ice or play the piano. You could start now, right now, if you wanted to.

In my brighter moments, I realise that life is too short for behaving as if I'll live forever. That petty, lasted-a-decade family feud or that unrealised ambition, the lover you left on bad terms or that book you keep promising yourself you're gonna read: all these things and more can be addressed today. Not tomorrow. Today. Right now.

Seriously. I mean it. You can do these things right now.

Now is all we've got, and all we may ever get. Let's not have it slipping through our fingers because we're holding on too tight.

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
I plan to live forever - So far so good!!!

Only Joking. I'd get bored.
Nick
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
I wouldn't want to live forever. However, I WOULD like to live for as long as I wanted. Simply put, I would want to live forever until I decided that enough was enough, then have a method to let myself die.

Being forced to live longer than you want seems just as bad as being forced to die before you want to, probably worse.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
All this philosophical crap makes me want to live forever in the 1950's.
Retain the knowledge gained and repeat the decade surrounded by a society that is not driven by political correctness. Paradise.

D
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
"Note the conditions: no aging, no physical or mental changes, no illness - by reasonable extension, no permanent injury."

Under those conditions, by all means. I would welcome the option of continuing to learn more and experience more. I assure you, I would find plenty of things to do to keep boredom at bay.

I find that far preferable to the reincarnation angle, by the way. I don't cherish the idea of repeatedly having to deal with loose baby teeth, snotty teachers, schoolyard bullies, final exams and the other unpleasant nonsense associated with growing up.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
okito25
View Profile
Regular user
Victoria BC Canada
145 Posts

Profile of okito25
Iteresting thoughts and a provking topic to say the least , I just watched the movie Tuck Everlasting , with my kids .. awsome movie , with all the good things it can be come a curse , I have never given it much thought .. however after reading this post and watching that movie .. it will give me things to consider
keet
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » If you could would you like to live forever? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL