The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Finding props in unexpected places (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
I went to Home Depot searching for a ring to use for my Ring & Rope routine. I really liked the look of the towel rings in the bathroom fixtures area, until I found they were not solid. The search continued. I needed something that would read well on stage, and look appropriate for my particular routine.

Later that day, I was at Anne's fabrics getting materials for my new table, when I found the perfect thing--handbag handles! They are sold in various sizes, shapes and materials. I got a pair of 6-inch, thick wooden rings that are perfect for what I need.

Where have you found the "perfect thing" unexpectedly?
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Check the Howiedidits section in the Secret Sessions forum in the Banquet Rooms - there is some absolutely incredible information in that thread on all sorts of goodies one can find, make and use that are available from strange places called "fabric stores" and "hobby centers" and "dollar stores." all of these places are extremely arcane and bizarre places, yet have some of the most useful items I have ever seen - specialty ropes, odd kinds of material for clothing, miniature furniture - all sorts of interesting goodies and the section on adhesives is priceless in the Howiedidits thread, too!

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Totally agree with Lee.
Howiedidits is fun, fun, fun.
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
magiccarpet
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of magiccarpet
The Dollar stores are great places to find all kinds of things you can use for effects. They have cards and dice also. You can find a lot of items at a flea
market. You can find things for $.25 that can be made into good effects.
Jailhouse Jonny
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Jailhouse Jonny
If you are ever in Milwaukee check out Goldmans Department Store. other cities may have a similar place. it is an old independently owned department store that carries on he most unusual items. I was recently able to pick up men's 10 XL boxer shorts and tiny thong undies for a trick just a few steps from eachother. Kinda makes you miss having Woolworths around. (Though I thought I saw a Woolworth's in Miami on Lincoln Road- anyone know of other Woolworth's still open in the US?). I know in Toronto they have Honest Ed's - love going there as they often have cool weird stuff.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Flea markets are ggreta places to find magic props and ideas.
~Joe
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Nothing beats Archie McPhees as a repository for undiscovered props
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
I drive my wife crazy with this all the time Most People walk thru a store and see what the store has to offer.... Us Magicians walk thru a store and say that's cool what kind of prop can I make out of that... The strangest expierience I had was at my mother-in-laws house... I walked in and there was this nice old looking chest that I thought would make a real nice snake basket... As I was about to open it to see what kind of room it had inside My wife yelled "Don't open that it is my Grandmothers Ashes" Woops .....
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Go to antique shops! I found a 5 inch jumbo coin, many small glass bottles that are perfect for topit work or coin in bottle, other old coins, old genii magazines from the 40s, and cards galore!!! Heck, suits, top hats, canes, cups, shot glasses, opaque metal shot glasses which are perfect for mini cup and ball routines. Silks, hankerchiefs... so many things to see and find!
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Cracker Barrel Restaurants have gift shops that sell interesting novelties, including very realistic ceramic eggs that work well in egg bags.

Alan Wheeler
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I found a great prop to use to vanish a coin! My shoe! Ha!

The bottom-front is coming apart from the sole just enough that I can scoot a coin into it, in the guise of picking it up from "accidently" dropping it!

I just toss nothing from hand to hand, as if I had the coin...then...well..you know!

My shoe! Who'd a thunk?

Doug
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Quote:
On 2005-09-20 15:44, MagicB1S wrote:
I drive my wife crazy with this all the time Most People walk thru a store and see what the store has to offer.... Us Magicians walk thru a store and say that's cool what kind of prop can I make out of that... The strangest expierience I had was at my mother-in-laws house... I walked in and there was this nice old looking chest that I thought would make a real nice snake basket... As I was about to open it to see what kind of room it had inside My wife yelled "Don't open that it is my Grandmothers Ashes" Woops .....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! OMG that is the funniest thing ever! Smile
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I like Dollar Tree.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Finding props in unexpected places (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL